feeding dry cat food your opinions

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

theres fook all right with it either its not designed for them so why feed it to them when there is food specially for ferrets if your going to feed dry food, the people who did the research on the best feed for ferrets didnt do it iver a couple of years they did it over many years and scientifically tested not some backgarden breeder who after couple yrs decides they know the ferrets nutritional requirements because they still alive when i first started with ferrets people still believed in feeding milk sop with egg but that mentality has gradually given way as should the cat food but hey what do i know ive only read a few books

Guest shadowz

Well done Matty - its refreshing to see someone who care where their kits go and who want to make sure

they get the right housing and food.

I dont agree with feeding cat food at all and I imagine a lot of it is laziness and cheapness.

Its easy to just pop a cheap box of cat biccies in the trolley in asda/tesco.

Feed mainly fur and feather in the winter and about 50/50 raw and dry in the summer

We do try and feed any jill with kitts fur and feather only even in the summer

although with the flies can be a pain but i do like my kitts reared on fur and feather if poss

We do keep a large bin with a 50killo bag of james well and a 15 killo bag of go cat dry

mixed together the ferrets are always alert healthy good teeth and rearing to go

in an ideal world fur and feather are better but good quality dry food is a good alternative

We have a 10 yr old and a 9 yr old jills so they are not doing bad on this diet me thinks

seen alot of people comment on how they mix dry cat food with ferret, why when everything they need is in the ferret food, what is it you think they are gaining from the addition of the cat food.but my question was would you feed them cat food alone nothing else i know im ruffleing a few feathers here but not really bothered i think the world of my ferrets and try my best to make sure they happy and healthy

theres fook all right with it either its not designed for them so why feed it to them when there is food specially for ferrets if your going to feed dry food, the people who did the research on the best feed for ferrets didnt do it iver a couple of years they did it over many years and scientifically tested not some backgarden breeder who after couple yrs decides they know the ferrets nutritional requirements because they still alive when i first started with ferrets people still believed in feeding milk sop with egg but that mentality has gradually given way as should the cat food but hey what do i know ive only read a few books

and by the sound of it your spouting the sh*te from them books.

like i said its done no harm to my ferrets what so ever, you do what ever u want with your ferrets and leave mine to me

im starting to see where this lad gets his feeding veiws from seems like theres s few people feeding cat food around but for the life of me i cant see why cant be much cheaper surely

Well lets put it this way when you can buy a 10 kilo bag of '' breeders cheap cat biscuit'' for around the 12 to 15 quid mark , compare the 7 quid for a 2 kilo bag of james wellbeloved , speaks for its self really

http://www.freewebs.com/theferrethotel/ferretfood.htm

this link lists most of the complete ferret foods available

like i said its done no harm to my ferrets what so ever, you do what ever u want with your ferrets and leave mine to me

SPOUTING SHITE is that what you call cold hard facts of which much research has gone into, they believed the world was flat at one time as well until they discovered it was round but read that in a book aswell so maybe thats shite.its called progress we have started to dispel the old mythes and practices of old that some how get passed off as knowledge. how many ferrets have you owned and have you tried any other feeding regimes in your vast experience with ferrets

SPOUTING SHITE is that what you call cold hard facts of which much research has gone into, they believed the world was flat at one time as well until they discovered it was round but read that in a book aswell so maybe thats shite.its called progress we have started to dispel the old mythes and practices of old that some how get passed off as knowledge. how many ferrets have you owned and have you tried any other feeding regimes in your vast experience with ferrets

what sort of question is that when you know exactly how many ferrets ive had, exactly how many ive got, how long ive had them for and exactly how the work or and incase youve forgotton all your ferrets are bred from mine

like ive already said you do what you want with yours and my ferrets are non of your business

Edited by rabbit mad mic

Cheap cat and dog food can cause bladder stones because they can not digest the vegetable protein.

Theese stones were found in a poor ferrets bladder on another forum, which was fed on cat/dog food.. Would you like them

in you, must of been painful to pee.

Lighter there for size comparison.

post-24907-1246701367.jpg

Edited by joe14

I only feed meat fill freezers in the winter to last through the summer ,but i tried dry food and my ferrets threw it over the floor and didn't eat it .A ferrets gut is smaller than a cats and they digest there food faster so surely they need a proper ferret food desighed for ferrets

what sort of question is that when you know exactly how many ferrets ive had, exactly how many ive got, how long ive had them for and exactly how the work or and incase youve forgotton all your ferrets are bred from mine

like ive already said you do what you want with yours and my ferrets are non of your business

your dam right i know ive watched you grow up you have had none, your dad on the other hand has had a few and yes i did get 2 jills off your dad bout 5yrs ago and what your dad does with his ferrets is his buisness i agree but if i give a ferret that i have bred to someone i think i have the right to make sure its looked after how i expect it to be. im 36 your 21 which means i was 15 when you were born so basically ive been hunting with ferrets and dogs before you were an glint in your dads eye and i still consider myself to be learning and probably still learning in another 20 yrs you apparrently already know it all congratulations your a better man than me

i feed mine on whatever i catch rabbit, hare or birds in the winter but in the summer when the flies come out its dry food for mine, does them no harm but rabbit is obviously the better option as we use them to hunt rabbits.

cheers, jay.

your dam right i know ive watched you grow up you have had none, your dad on the other hand has had a few and yes i did get 2 jills off your dad bout 5yrs ago and what your dad does with his ferrets is his buisness i agree but if i give a ferret that i have bred to someone i think i have the right to make sure its looked after how i expect it to be. im 36 your 21 which means i was 15 when you were born so basically ive been hunting with ferrets and dogs before you were an glint in your dads eye and i still consider myself to be learning and probably still learning in another 20 yrs you apparrently already know it all congratulations your a better man than me

who works the ferrets of my dads, i guess they dont count as been mine and dont start about how youve been hunting before i was a glint in me dads eye to tell you the truth i cant even be arsed to reply to you, washing me hands of you