Hi, my situation is........

Hi everyone.

My name is Griff and i am 28 years old. I was brought up on a farm from being a kid and moved out to get married about 7 years ago.

From being a kid i have always enjoyed rabbiting wether it be with an air riffle, ferrits or dogs.

Since getting married i have not done much hunting at all for the last 7 years, i have been fishing whenever i have time to spare.

Since moving away from the farm and not been there to kill the rabbits, my parents have become over run with rabbits and they have become a big problem.

I went up last weekend with an air riffle, but only got a couple. The problem is there is that much cover (long grass,bushes,ect) for the rabbits that it is difficult to get close enough with an air riffle.

After being away from hunting for so long i have got the bug again and want to get back into it.

Although it was fun trying to get them with the air riffle and i dare say if i went up there again and sat hidden and waited for them i would probably get a few in a few hours, but they are that much of a problem i need to shoot more and need to be able to shoot further than the air riffle is capable of.

In total we have about 25 acre of land, most of it is on a hill, 2 square 5 acre fields are on a slope with houses at the bottom. The slope is a good thing because as long as i am shooting up hill the houses are behind me and the hill is a good back stop for stray pellets/bullets.

I have been advised that an ideal gun would be a ruger 10/22.

I was wondering if anyone else could suggest any other gun for the job, as my firearms certificate may not get accepted with only having 25 acre to shoot on. I have also never owned a shotgun licence.

You can get some pretty powerfull air riffles nowadays, do you think that would be an option, if so which one and what sort of distance will it kill at and what sort of money will i be looking at.

Your help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

I dont want to rush out i and get the first thing i see, but i am keen to get that adrenaline flowing in my step again after 7 years away from hunting.

Edited by THE GRIFF

:thumbs:

well that was alot of help.

hi THE GRIFF how about a CZ 452 Silhoutte .22 LR 16" (R/H) £295 (New) or there,s the CZ 452 Style .22 LR 16" (R/H) £335 (New) and both does the job cheap to run and i can,t see a problem with 25 acre to shoot on . a good bit of practice you should be shooting rabbit at 70 75 yards . or there,s alway,s the 17 HMR i can,t say anything about because i haven,t got one .

atb with you FAC application W.D

Thanks for your reply, the reason i have mentioned the ruger 10/22 is that i have heared one and thought it was quiet compared to other guns i have heared. These other bullet guns you have mentioned- how does the noise compare to the ruger, are they semi automatic as well.

Thanks

Hello and welcome mate

Whilst a 22 rimmys great fun have you looked at lamping ,snaring trapping as other option's of rabbit control if you get knocked back on your fac??

Hello and welcome mate

Whilst a 22 rimmys great fun have you looked at lamping ,snaring trapping as other option's of rabbit control if you get knocked back on your fac??

If i do get knocked back then i will have to look into other options. Snaring is a not an option because my parents have dogs. Lamping with dogs would be be difficult because of the amount of cover in the fields (there not really coursing fields) lamping with a air riffle may be an option or even ferriting may be an option. To be honest i know loads of lads with dogs, ferrits and guns and could soon sort out the rabbits if i let them on, but after going out on sunday and only getting 2 i want to kill them myself. Like i have said i have got the hunting bug again and will have great pleasure in sorting them out myself.

Thanks for your reply, the reason i have mentioned the ruger 10/22 is that i have heared one and thought it was quiet compared to other guns i have heared. These other bullet guns you have mentioned- how does the noise compare to the ruger, are they semi automatic as well.

Thanks

'THE GRIFF' yes they are quiet with a good moderator onand using subsonic ammunition .and they are Bolt Action not semi automatic .

hope this help,s W.D

Hi everyone.

My name is Griff and i am 28 years old. I was brought up on a farm from being a kid and moved out to get married about 7 years ago.

From being a kid i have always enjoyed rabbiting wether it be with an air riffle, ferrits or dogs.

Since getting married i have not done much hunting at all for the last 7 years, i have been fishing whenever i have time to spare.

Since moving away from the farm and not been there to kill the rabbits, my parents have become over run with rabbits and they have become a big problem.

I went up last weekend with an air riffle, but only got a couple. The problem is there is that much cover (long grass,bushes,ect) for the rabbits that it is difficult to get close enough with an air riffle.

After being away from hunting for so long i have got the bug again and want to get back into it.

Although it was fun trying to get them with the air riffle and i dare say if i went up there again and sat hidden and waited for them i would probably get a few in a few hours, but they are that much of a problem i need to shoot more and need to be able to shoot further than the air riffle is capable of.

In total we have about 25 acre of land, most of it is on a hill, 2 square 5 acre fields are on a slope with houses at the bottom. The slope is a good thing because as long as i am shooting up hill the houses are behind me and the hill is a good back stop for stray pellets/bullets.

I have been advised that an ideal gun would be a ruger 10/22.

I was wondering if anyone else could suggest any other gun for the job, as my firearms certificate may not get accepted with only having 25 acre to shoot on. I have also never owned a shotgun licence.

You can get some pretty powerfull air riffles nowadays, do you think that would be an option, if so which one and what sort of distance will it kill at and what sort of money will i be looking at.

Your help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

I dont want to rush out i and get the first thing i see, but i am keen to get that adrenaline flowing in my step again after 7 years away from hunting.

You should have no problem with FAC for 22LR on 25 acres providing everything else is cool.

welcome aboard friend why don't you get a few ferret's aswell as the .22 rimfire.It absolutely brilliant very addictive and if you know a few ferret men they will help you out with a few kits and be ready for the winter season coming up :clapper:

I have few pieces of ground at 3 and 4 acres witha rimfire and the police won't have a problem with you using a .22 on 25 acre plot

Good luck with the FAC and hopefully you'll give ferreting a try

I have a .22lr Ruger 10/22 Semi Auto and a CZ Silhouette .17HMR Bolt Action, i can tell you for your situation you will prefer the .17HMR.

It is just so much more accurate than the 10/22 that the extra noise and non semi auto is more than made up for by the incredable accuracy out to around 130meters.

With the 10/22 you might consider keeping the shots below 75meters, Having said that the Ruger is still a great gun once you've found the right ammo (eley subsonic) for rabbit shooting :thumbs:

Your FAC will probably be accepted and is certainly worth applying for with your land, just need to decide .22lr or .17hmr now , or get both :)

ATB

Edited by elvolcan