Had some bad news today, took my 8 month old lurcher pup to see a greyhound man about her bad leg and found out she has a broken calcaneal and fractural to fibula both in right leg.

He said she probs will of done it just from running and that she needs 3 months rest just lead walking and she will be healed. Anyway what i am wanting to know is what peoples views are on her meeting her full potential are?? Will she be able to run ok or will this injury always cause a problem and once healed whats the chance it will happen again??

look forward to hearing peoples views

Regards Ben :thumbs:

of course she will meet her full potential robert meek is good at what he does and if he thought she wouldnt he would of told you time is a great healer also she is only a pup which gives her more chance of a dog thats 2 years old .................. pleased they opened them changing rooms otherwise we would of been like drownded rats

I'd take her to a running dog vet (a good one). Robert Meek looks over my dogs but i would always take them to a good running dog vet when it comes to bones. As they can xray and get the correct diagnosis (sp).

My mate had Robert look at his bitches toe, my mate was told to spray it with this chinese stuff twice a day, well 10 weeks later it was just the same. He then took it to a greyhound vet says the stuff he was told to use isn't worth a Wa*k, he was given some other stuff and the bitch is nearly right after a fortnights treatment.

of course she will meet her full potential robert meek is good at what he does and if he thought she wouldnt he would of told you time is a great healer also she is only a pup which gives her more chance of a dog thats 2 years old .................. pleased they opened them changing rooms otherwise we would of been like drownded rats

Ok mate thanks for the reply got my fingers crossed she will make a full recovery. Just worried with a break will she run properly again?? But like he said they are robust type of dogs and with her still got alot of growing to do she will heal better.

Haha Yeh I know glad you picked me up or i would of defently been drowned had to wait over an hour an a half for the train. Sods law i just missed one by minutes lol

All the best Ben

I'd take her to a running dog vet (a good one). Robert Meek looks over my dogs but i would always take them to a good running dog vet when it comes to bones. As they can xray and get the correct diagnosis (sp).

My mate had Robert look at his bitches toe, my mate was told to spray it with this chinese stuff twice a day, well 10 weeks later it was just the same. He then took it to a greyhound vet says the stuff he was told to use isn't worth a Wa*k, he was given some other stuff and the bitch is nearly right after a fortnights treatment.

Cheers for reply mate :thumbs: Will see how she does first robert said 3 months rest will do the trick not going to run her proppa untill after Christmas making it a good 6 months so hopefully time will have had plenty of time to heal.

Regards Ben :thumbs:

i had a little whipgreyxcollie grey very small 20.5tts she got attacked by a boxer x and had here leg /shoulder on front left broke in 3 places it was a bad brake it was also pinned ,it happened when she was 5 months i kept that dog until she was 3 year 6 month but she would never run to her full potential down hills ,turning left she was useless ,but if everything was in her favour one night we were doing a very large gradient going up the hill all the rabbits seem to go to here right and run up the hill we ran her on 14 or 15 and she caught 12 . on a normal night out of those 15 she may of caught 4 or 5 it wasnt her fault and my bro in law found an old lady with a small holding i gave her to the lady shes been there ever since she sends me an email every now and again with pics its nice to no shes doing well as a pet.

in my case it definatley had a bad effect on my little dog.

i had a little whipgreyxcollie grey very small 20.5tts she got attacked by a boxer x and had here leg /shoulder on front left broke in 3 places it was a bad brake it was also pinned ,it happened when she was 5 months i kept that dog until she was 3 year 6 month but she would never run to her full potential down hills ,turning left she was useless ,but if everything was in her favour one night we were doing a very large gradient going up the hill all the rabbits seem to go to here right and run up the hill we ran her on 14 or 15 and she caught 12 . on a normal night out of those 15 she may of caught 4 or 5 it wasnt her fault and my bro in law found an old lady with a small holding i gave her to the lady shes been there ever since she sends me an email every now and again with pics its nice to no shes doing well as a pet.

in my case it definatley had a bad effect on my little dog.

Thats what i am worrying about is she a lost cause, time will only tell as they say. I have put alot of money into her so will give her plenty of time and hopefully come christmas She will of made a full recovery.

Regards Ben.

i spent £750 putting her leg back together then another 3 years hoping she would come good it was very unfortunate but time is the only healer and i was more gutted about the wasted time than the money ,i personally dont think i will be waiting that amount of time again .

All i could suggest is take his advice and see if it works 12 weeks isnt that long and i would give her some glucosamine and fish oils etc to help her along the way

Cheers mate will give it ago, yeh 3 months does seem like a short period of time. I am going to give her 6 months before even think of running her. After the 3 months i will take her to make sure she is fully healed then spend the next 3-4 months getting it strong bringing her back into exercise getting her fitness back up aswell. Plenty of trotting on the bike etc.

Regards Ben

My bitch had an injury and the vet suggested the glucomsaimne and fish oils etc green lipped mussel and vitamin b and a few greyhound men have said the vit b is an excellent supplement for an injured dog.Seemed to do wonders for mine