Pigs bolting everywhere today

A couple of friends and I headed for a local dairy/crop farm. We stop at a spot we haven’t been to since we killed a skunk there last year. Well, it was producing today ~~ It’s right next to the road so we dropped a dog down and she squeezes in this 10-12 hole spot. Within 3-4 minutes out start popping groundhogs like a PEZ dispenser. One after another from everywhere. One bolts and goes back into another hole, one bolts up into the alfalfa and one bolts into a tree. By now the bitch is out and catches the one in the tree for a little scrap. We weren’t fast enough helping her so this one gets loose and runs back in.

First place we stopped, sloping hill right next to an alfalfa field with the gravel road about 20 ft away.

d595049b.jpg

We bring up another small dog to help out with the small tubes. He is in and baying, now the bitch is in again and baying. We hear scrapulation between the two dogs. Then out pops another hog and up a tree. This one was dispatched – finally! We needed nets out or a lurcher today!

The farmer came by just as a young pup was checking out our trophy. I don’t know how he got in the picture, he had nothing to do with it. :blink:

487a3b93.jpg

This is my friend’s little bitch, I’ll tell you, she’s nice and works hard. Puts on a fight and has the substance to see the job thru.

simoneagain.jpg

We check a couple of other places, then go to a new part of the farm after the farmer gives us some new locations to check.

diaryfarmfromuptop.jpg

We are driving the edge of an alfalfa field by the woods and see a hog run into the woods. We get two dogs out. The woods slope down away from the field into a big ravine. Walking it, I see a hog run into another multi sette area right next to and under a HUGE tree.

Top left part of this sette

seconddig.jpg

One dog runs in to the base of the tree (of course) and soon begins to bay. We locate him at 12 ft. We’re not digging him out if we don’t have to and hope for a bolt.

Tree where he entered right at the base

huntinglifetree.jpg

We enter a bitch and hope for a bolt between the two. She’s in a different part of the sette where there is a “Tâ€. She goes to the right and soon starts to bay up at the top of this hillside. The other dog is still somewhere down 12 ft baying his little head off. So we’ve got at least 2 hogs in here. Then a hog bolts from another hole to the left of where the bitch enters and runs down the tree line where we lose site of it. Both dogs still in, the bitch now moves to a different section and we hear them both, seem to be working together, they are not as deep and the dog can be heard more clearly so he has moved closer to the top, Whew! We go to net holes and realize we left them back at the first place we stopped.

My friend at the top of this sette sees a hog bolt and run down the ravine and up the other side where the little bitch is in pursuit where it runs up a tree. The dog comes out, but from the base of the tree. The bitch is now at the bottom of the hogs tree when it comes back down and she runs it down to a hollow tree with no way to escape. The other dog joins in and both dogs have it.

2dogswithhog.jpg

We get there quick, step on hog, grab dogs and humanly dispatch it.

huntinglifehog.jpg

We decide to head on home with no complaints and no digging!

I was a wild and fun day with great dogs, great friends

98fbc4df.jpg

Sounds like fun mate, do you always double your terriers up, as I would think you were more likely to get in to trouble by entering two dogs.

Dillon

We dont' typically enter two dogs because of the consequences. In this place, the dog down deep was a young dog still figuring things out. The bitch sent in is typically a bayer and we felt she wouldn't push him into quarry if that situation came up.

We're always careful when we have harder dogs on the ground so we don't get someone pushed into quarry. Good young dogs can be ruined quick that way.

Glad you asked since I failed to mention it in my post.

Chief,

How do you tell a bunch of guys on a UK terrier board you are a woman who digs her dogs?

Edited by woolbr8stl