Leave it to someone who can

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:clapper: Catcher :clapper: Couldn't agree wae you more mate.Around here every "dogman" has the latest cross that is in vogue just now it is bull x's a few years back it was saluki x's and as you quite rightly pointed out they seem to think all lurchers are all rounders but sadly this is not the case as each different x has it's strengths and weaknesses(although you do get the odd exception) and once these binlids realise there dog is not suitable for a certain aspect of our sport it is either passed on to one of their cronies or unceremoniously dumped on the street to fend for theirselves and we all know the most likely outcome for these poor dogs.

A few year ago one of the local blowhards bought a hancock bitch as at the time he was in fashion and tryed to have her tackling all game by the time she was 9 month old and unsuprisingly she did not live up to his expectations and as fate would have it i bumped into him when he was on his way to the local police station to hand her in saying he had found her!!!After listening to his reasons for wanting rid of her i looked her over and offered to take her and after hearing how useless she was he gave her to me.Six months later after getting her into order and building up her confidence and CAREFUL entering she became a cracking dog catching rabbit and hare with aplomb and mangled fox and even took roe even though she was only 24 tts.

The icing on the cake came a year later when her previous owner came into possession of an"unbeatable" saluki x and would take on all comers my wee bitch laced it beating it 2-0 on hares and winning me 75 bucks and the imbecile had the audacity to offer to swap me his dog and 50 quid for a dog he thought was useless and the worst part is this was 12 year ago and he is still at it as well as his son whose party trick is running young dogs into the ground and selling the poor b*stards on to some innocent young one who is just starting out.

Sadly our sport is burdened by this tit and his son and so many others like them and i would not mind so much if these c*nts suffered but its not its the loyal hardworking lurcher that gets f**ked over!!!!

Good for you mate.A true dog man .Arent much people like you around sadly.atb and respect.Catcher 1

YOU CANT BREED RATS USEING MICE ...AND IM GLAD THE LADS THAT I DEAL WITH HAVE THE SAME VIEWS AS ME

Thats a nobrainer if ever I heard one.....instead of stating the bloody obvious why not offer something constructive :blink: and it wont matter how well bred your dog is if you dont enter it properly it wont turn out a good dog....and that was catchers point about folk's expectations of young dogs...rush rush!

Cheers mate.As you can see some peole just dont get it.The Topic is not about breeding its about getting the right dog for your needs.Then give it time to prove itself before giveing up.atb. Catcher 1 :thumbs:

Nothing has changed it seems since I left the Uk. only difference is the idiots can brag across the web rather than just at the local boozer.

I think the two main points on this thread are this. A young dog needs a serious committment in time to prove its potential. And potential owners of lurchers need to find a mentor they can trust, do the research and choose a pup from proven lines suitable to their quarry and ground. A well informed well guided novice is more likely to head in the right direction with a lurcher by their side that meets their expectations. But only if they have a realistic attitude about what it takes to make a good dog.

I think I was lucky growing up in a working sighthound household and a good one at that. Many of the young lurcher owners are growing up in our instant gratification society are shocked to find they must put in years of effort rather than minutes to produce a good lurcher and that preparation and planning are important. Sadly the problems discussed here predate the current generation and it is a sad fact that their will always be those too lazy too put in the effort and seek shortcuts rather than do it the right way. If you believe in your sport all you can do is reach out a hand to those who have the fire in their hearts and help them become the next generation of real dog men.

all the best dirtwinger

Wise words mate.But i am not putting it down to youngsters.Know a few young men who do put in the time.And reap the rewards.atb. Catcher 1

YOU CANT BREED RATS USEING MICE ...AND IM GLAD THE LADS THAT I DEAL WITH HAVE THE SAME VIEWS AS ME

Thats a nobrainer if ever I heard one.....instead of stating the bloody obvious why not offer something constructive :blink: and it wont matter how well bred your dog is if you dont enter it properly it wont turn out a good dog....and that was catchers point about folk's expectations of young dogs...rush rush!

You and catcher keep banging on about entering dogs properly and any dog will make the grade if entered properly ....thats complete shite you pair are starting to sound like that other haver Brian Plummer I remember reading an article he wrote years ago saying he could get any dog to go to ground and work fox and he reconed he could get a king charles spaniel to enter to fox and be dug to .....There is no dennying entering has a large part to play at the start of a dogs carreer but a well bred dog will normally enter with ease its just a case of not over matching it and im a great believer in no dog has been ruined by being held back .........The facts are some dogs dont make it and as ive already stated with all the rubb£sh being bred these days more amd more dogs will be passed around ....so I ask you this if you had a dog that didnt make the grade what would you do with it or are you the only person I know that everydog theyve owned has made your grade

Hi MOO we never seem to agree on anything.Untill now.Plummer never liked the man.Always said he was full of bull.No disrepect read the Topic as you seem to be going on about breeding ?.atb. Catcher 1

wat we tend to forget a lot of the younglads comeing into the world of lurchers are init just because some of their mates are doing it and have not served an apprenticeship so to speak and a lot tend to look up to the kill everything brigade and get rid of the dog if its not doing it by the time its a year old.A young lad i bumped into recently with his bull cross all he was saying was about all the badgers and foxes he had supposed to have caught and that rabbiting was for faggots.A true case of young idiots growing up around old idiots.atvb

Hi poacher.I have been defending the youngstres on this Topic but as you say.A lot have not served an apprenticeship and make a lot of mistakes.Its not just young lads.We all know this .Thanks for your input.atb. Catcher 1 :thumbs:

ok il put it another way say u give the dog time and patience to prove itself

and it proves itself to be pretty crap but u say u will still keep the dog no matter what, well thats your choice but ignorance is bliss because if u keep a dog and try to find uses for it even if there limited and not what u really wanted then u will never know the disapointment and heartache of having high standards and a dog not meeting them

not through any fault of the dog or what the owner has done i might add.

it would also help if people bought the right dog for there needs, you dont go out and buy a saluki cross if you just want to do a bit of ferreting or a small whippet cross to go coursing (PREBAN) start out with the right dog for the job and thats half the battle a bit of patience and alot of time you will have a good dog in the making just my opinion though

And a good one mate.Some people think a dog will be an all rounder. Fools and when it is not off it gose to some outher fool.Then most are past from piller to post and then are found tyed to some tree dead or starving.And we ask ourself how we get bad press. Catcher 1

so every dog you have owned or worked has made it to be the dog you wanted it to be well i want a dog that will kill every fox it goes to so if you can train the dog or spend the time with the dog i drop him off to you this week pick him up at end of season cheers mate its about the standard of dog you keep that is what it all about one mans cur is another mans ace

Read the topic please.Never would make so bold a statement.What i have said is ask what you want from the dog before you get it.Then give the dog time to prove it can do it (under two years old).If its not what you were looking for or as a lot of people are saying.Dident make the grade.Its still up to you to look after it.The dog is not allways at fault.A lot of times its the owners who cant make the grade.The dog will always be good for something.Any true dog man knows he will never get a great dog every time.So i will say it again if you are not willing to put in the time and effort to train and look after the dog.Leave it to someone who can.atb. Catcher 1

moo its the blind leading the blind mate leave them to it, ignorance is bliss ;)

? Why is asking people to give a dog time to prove itself ignorance (BLISS) Give the dog time and you will ge it Catcher 1

I don't get it either.No ones saying you should breed from dirt,But if you want to take on a dog you owe it the time and respect it deserves,And if your the type of lad that is always looking for a new dog because the last didnt make the grade, and there are lots about, Then your doing something wrong,simple really.If thats ignorance then im glad to say im ignorant

moo its the blind leading the blind mate leave them to it, ignorance is bliss ;)

? Why is asking people to give a dog time to prove itself ignorance (BLISS) Give the dog time and you will ge it Catcher 1

I don't get it either.No ones saying you should breed from dirt,But if you want to take on a dog you owe it the time and respect it deserves,And if your the type of lad that is always looking for a new dog because the last didnt make the grade, and there are lots about, Then your doing something wrong,simple really.If thats ignorance then im glad to say im ignorant

Cheers mate .If you take a dog on you do owe it your time and respect.I must be ignorant too :doh: But i think we know the real ones are.atb .Catcher 1

catcher your heart is in the right place....but if evey dog man or woman went with there heart instead of there head....there would be more shite about than there is now....if you are happy with somthing thats just OK then thats fine ....but some people want a dog thats more then ok ...ie the best....now everybody cant have the best but aslong as people keep trying then theres going to be more dogs about thats going to be better than ok.......ie less dogs will get passed about......do you think the likes of hancock plummer ect ect didnt cull and pass dogs on then your sadly mistaken.....ive had the pleasure of meeting some good lads in the coursing game who have been at it for years ....these men might of had three or four top dogs in there time and bred from them ....but how many dogs do you think they have gone through to get these top dogs....dont be nieve about the dog game ....and as for reading the hanncock thread which i know has nothing to do with this thread ..but it has a simular ending .....the truth is hanncocks used to be a decent collie cross a.... lad in my village had one about 18 years ago and thought it was the dogs bollocks .....hes had one since and he gave it away after putting much time and effort into it.....imop it is because there just breeding machines now and never see a field or a bunny ect ect .....so what iam saying is leave the dedecated dog men to there dogs and you stick to yours ...instead of having digs ...now i get what your saying catcher about dogs not getting a chance in some respects.....but if you want the best there has to be sacrfcies......somtimes people are just happy with dogs picking up a few bunnies and the odd hare ect ect ..then others want more then that,,,,,its the same in any animal sport horses dogs ect ect .what do you think happens to lets say a horse bred for a derby and it dosnt make the grade ..it gets sold or passed on or shot for dog meat because they dont want other people to breed from it......trying to put this as politely as i can dont be so nieve,,,...all the best snoop...