Gun confiscated.

Guest Chip

well i learnt a lesson today and that is take nothing for granted when it comes to buying used airguns/rifles.

i bought an air rifle s410 .22 last week and genuinly feeling it was underpower i took it to a gun shop to have a chrono test.

the fella went away came back some 10/15 minutes later to say hes spoken to a fire arms officer and he can not hand me the gun back as its over the limit.

he give me two options..apply for a fac to get it back or leave it there pay to have it turned down

i opted for the latter.

i was pissed off to begin with but it could have been a lot worse i suppose.

anyway next air rifle i buy im takeing a chrono with me.

heres a print out i cant make sense of it other than 14.7ft-lbs. :doh:

edited to say i dont know why its saying s200 and that date but when i asked for it to be printed these are the stats to my gun

Pic1674098250-1.jpg

Pic1674098251.jpg

Help! Am I missing something here, I don't like things that don't add up.

Adding all the test velocities, I get 5846, so an average of 584.6. The evaluation sheet, shows a max velocity of 804, when the graph clearly shows all shots are 700-ish. To my mind, the evaluation sheet, and the test sheet are from two different tests? Can someone explain please?

Add them again mate you made a mistake...... 6486.0 total.... divide by 10 = 648.6 av. vel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chip
Whether or not they would actually speak to a firearms officer seems a bit strange, as surely they already know what they have to do!

he did say the fella,s name but i wouldnt know him.

like you say they were just doing there job and i told the fella as much.

anyway it shook me up a bit when he said you cant have it back its over the limit and ive spoke to the fao.just glad i didnt get pinched and the guns all legal. ;)

hey mate just to ad my two pennys worth. i work in a gunshop and in my shop and quite afew shops we are friendley with all do the same thing .if a rifle does come in over power we can only advise you that it is and sugest that it should be looked at because it could be something internaly wrong or a damaged part not treat you a bunny bashing hoody . alot off guns come straight from the factory over powerd and they normally calm down when you break them in or have to be sent back or the inhouse gunsmith ajust them. most off those remington gennisis are doing 15ft pound straight out of the box . their is a condition now that if a firearm comes in off ticket that firearms has to be notified within 48 hours so they can collect the gun so you wouldent have got it back .but thats more to do with firearms that fire live rounds not pellets .ive also spoken to afew difent police officers about over powerd air guns and they all say the same thing your not the law your gun dealers . you can olny advise as their can be meny thing wrong with a air weapon to make it do that. and if he did suspect you were up to no gud he should have had you arested and your gun conforscated.

well i learnt a lesson today and that is take nothing for granted when it comes to buying used airguns/rifles.

i bought an air rifle s410 .22 last week and genuinly feeling it was underpower i took it to a gun shop to have a chrono test.

the fella went away came back some 10/15 minutes later to say hes spoken to a fire arms officer and he can not hand me the gun back as its over the limit.

he give me two options..apply for a fac to get it back or leave it there pay to have it turned down

i opted for the latter.

edited to say i dont know why its saying s200 and that date but when i asked for it to be printed these are the stats to my gun

Pic1674098250-1.jpg

Pic1674098251.jpg

Adding all the test velocities, I get 5846, so an average of 584.6. The evaluation sheet, shows a max velocity of 804, when the graph clearly shows all shots are 700-ish. To my mind, the evaluation sheet, and the test sheet are from two different tests? Can someone explain please?

Add them again mate you made a mistake...... 6486.0 total.... divide by 10 = 648.6 av. vel

Er yeah, done that snap. Only got 5200 this time, think the solar power is going on my calculator! Changed calculators and got the total velocity to agree now! This still does not explain where the high velocity of 804 comes from, and the max deviation of 17. the 9th shot has muddied the waters somewhat, bad pellet perhaps? The velocities are still not clear to me. The deviations (from average)shown on the first sheet are a lot more than 17?

looks abit dodgy to me as i cant find a crossman pellet for sale at that stated weight the highest i found was 14.3 grain

to many irregularities in the readout for my likeing

now im no expert by any means but i would have at least asked for proper printout with my rifle and correct date and i would have like the pellets to be weighed in front of me and if possible to be present at the accual testing

i think you have had youre eyes out mate and he came back for the sockets atb mal

i opted for the latter.

Pic1674098250-1.jpg

Pic1674098251.jpg

Er yeah, done that snap. Only got 5200 this time, think the solar power is going on my calculator! Changed calculators and got the total velocity to agree now! This still does not explain where the high velocity of 804 comes from, and the max deviation of 17. the 9th shot has muddied the waters somewhat, bad pellet perhaps? The velocities are still not clear to me. The deviations (from average)shown on the first sheet are a lot more than 17?

Although the velocities add to the 6486 total, the ones i listed just seemed to come from outta the blue, not good,

something just ain't right hence i asked for pellet used to find a weight, i dont shoot airguns but most of the info transfers from air to centre fire,

its a head scratcher alright.... :laugh:

if he gives you a print off (albeit dodgy....wrong gun,wrong date) showing you the gun was overpowered, did he give you one showing you it was set under the legal limit?

edited to say i thought CROSSMAN was only one S

Edited by ArchieHood

If anything the shop owner should be informed of your concern of the accuracy of the test, and his way of dealing with the situation. And base YOUR opinion on the advise from here. If he is a sound chap he should at least for what it takes do the test again with pellets from a sealed tin, with you there. And explain how he works out his maths, and why the details are wrong. After all if you had a parking ticket with the wrong reg number on it would you pay the fine???

He is running a shop and preaching the law! so really the print out is a legal document and should be accurate in every way, and be signed by the tester. He should know what he is talking about no excuses.... And be prepared to explain. Bet he gave you all the spiel about the scope you bought!!

At least do it for the next poor bugger that takes his gun in there. ;)

Guest Scuba1

It would be interesting to see, if the next one who walked into his shop with a similar request will get the same data sheet. ;) The way I see it, he is making some money on the sly buddy.

1: Wrong gun

2: Wrong date

3: weights don't ad up with pellet used

4: the spread is a bit odd

5: "calling" the law to keep you quiet

Do you have a mate with rifle to take there just for the fun of it ?? Or ask at the cop shop if they indeed had a call of him concerning your gun.

ATB

Michael

If this is all true, and correct then the shop itself needs to be investigated.

It's for the safety of yourselves and others. If this chap is bending the rules then he needs to put straight.

It's no point saying "Its ok ive got my gun back" because all that is showing to me that you are not a responsable gun owner, and he's not a responsable shop owner. Sorry i dont mean to offend.

You say you spoke with the FAO, ok what did they say? I find this a little too strange.

Edited by artic
Guest Chip

i dont think its the case lads i did take the gun in stating i think its under powered hence my post a few days earlier regarding pellets.

i was expecting to have to send the gun off to be serviced or something so very supprised to be told it was at what it was.

and no i needed scopes they wasnt expensive and they took the time to remove my old ones and fit the new..

i rung the shop up first thing and mentioned this thread and pasted him the link.

hes sending me the correct data that im assumeing amounts to the 14.7.

Edited by Chip
Guest Scuba1
i dont think its the case lads i did take the gun in stating i think its under powered hence my post a few days earlier regarding pellets.

i was expecting to have to send the gun off to be serviced or something so very supprised to be told it was at what it was.

and no i needed scopes they wasnt expensive and they took the time to remove my old ones and fit the new..

i rung the shop up first thing and mentioned this thread and pasted him the link.

hes sending me the correct data that amounts to the 14.7.

So now that you have your gun back, he is making up another sheet, that amounts to 14,7 ft/lbs. Does he do this using telepathy or some other celestial powers ? :whistling:

If your gunsmith can explain his way out of this, he has clearly missed his calling as far as his line of work is concerned as he should have gone into politics. Heck he could have made it right to the top with the likes of Gordon Brown and co.

ATB

Michael

Edited by Scuba1
Guest Chip

scuba i dont know how these things work ive never concerned myself with any of it in the past im a part time/hobby shooter ive owned a hand full of springers the odd precharged..

i never had a problem with any.

this is what ive been sent its the data i should have had yesterday any questions please do ring the fella up.

SWScan00021.jpg