my parents have 50 acres that is going wild there are many hare buzzard rabbit and the occasional deer passing through, i would like to release boar here and was wondering how many would make a viable breeding population, any info would be helpfull

When you say release do you mean actually release or have them enclosed, because i have a feeling they come under dangerous animals so you would need a licence to farm them, and i dont think realeasing them would be legal.

When you say release do you mean actually release or have them enclosed, because i have a feeling they come under dangerous animals so you would need a licence to farm them, and i dont think realeasing them would be legal.

38 acres are already fenced, which will do for now. and the licence will come when i have all the info i need, cheers

38 acres are already fenced, which will do for now. and the licence will come when i have all the info i need, cheers

i would get a license but i wouldnt farm them and they would be enclosed, if population got to big then i would cull.
  • 2 weeks later...

Dont do that! At least if You have farmland around Your place and You dont want the farmers to kill you.... ;-)

We here in germany have lots of problems with boar increasing like rabbits and doing loads of damage to agriculture.

Dont do that! At least if You have farmland around Your place and You dont want the farmers to kill you.... ;-)

We here in germany have lots of problems with boar increasing like rabbits and doing loads of damage to agriculture.

cheers fokko, got to be honest quite like the idea of the little critters back in our countryside. im sure with the right measures put in place, continuos evaluation of population and control they can only benefit the eco system and most importantly give us some decent quarry. but lets be honest its most likely never gonna happen people seem to keep there mind closed to such matters.

• 2 weeks later...
I disagree. all it takes is one person to release a few in to the wild and they could take off. As far as I know this has already happened in the uk.

seems to be a fair amount in the south west butugh theres none round our way and theres some prime ground around here too just hope they start spreading fast