Retiring my sub 12ft/lbs air rifle

we all know what is acceptable and what isnt. if its blowin a gale n i thought i was goin to struggle i wouldnt go out. because for me sub 12ft/lbs is the only gun i own. if i had other means available like yourself then it would make sense to leave the air rifle at home. horses for courses

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, bear in mind that in the firearms world, any calibre that requires a head shot for a clean kill is considered marginal for that species, at best.

Given that air rifles (<12 ft/lbs) do really need a headshot for a clean kill on a rabbit, that makes them marginal :)

:no:

A shot to the chest area of a rabbit will drop a rabbit as quick as a head shot, and in most cases stands less chance of bouncing off thick bone, which can and does happen from time to time with headshots.

I will take your word on that one. I didn't spend long hunting rabbits with an air rifle, my rimfire followed PDQ. Back then, everyone I spoke to said to me to keep it to head shots. I did, and it did work fine.

Logun - If you take a rabbit and a fox, a fox is about 10 times the weight of a rabbit (roughly!), and a 22LR has (roughly!) 10x the power at the muzzle. The ranges are the same. How is it different?

Of course, bear in mind that in the firearms world, any calibre that requires a head shot for a clean kill is considered marginal for that species, at best.

Given that air rifles (<12 ft/lbs) do really need a headshot for a clean kill on a rabbit, that makes them marginal :)

A shot to the chest area of a rabbit will drop a rabbit as quick as a head shot, and in most cases stands less chance of bouncing off thick bone, which can and does happen from time to time with headshots.

I will take your word on that one. I didn't spend long hunting rabbits with an air rifle, my rimfire followed PDQ. Back then, everyone I spoke to said to me to keep it to head shots. I did, and it did work fine.

Logun - If you take a rabbit and a fox, a fox is about 10 times the weight of a rabbit (roughly!), and a 22LR has (roughly!) 10x the power at the muzzle. The ranges are the same. How is it different?

;)

TBH, I'd have silenced a .22 rimmy if I had the right sort of permission for it... I like air gun shooting, but I've been out with the silenced .22LR & subs, & IMO it's the ultimate rabbiting tool.

I think shooting rabbits with 12ft/lbs air rifle is perfectly OK provided that range/conditions/rifle zeroed are OK. I have only got my rimmies in the past couple of years and before that had spent years shooting rabbits with 12ft/lbs .177, .22 and even a rat catcher (alot less powerfull) without having any problems providing all of the above is in place. That said i totally agree with Mr Ls statement re weight of rabbit/fox vs pwer of .22LR/air rifle

The only difference is in peoples perception. People seem fine for others to shoot rabbits with air rifles but if anyone mentions the shooting of a fox with a RF they automatically become the spawn of satan, even though the power / size of animal ratio is virtually the same

IMO the RF should be reserved for rabbits though

Edited by lapin2008

I think shooting rabbits with 12ft/lbs air rifle is perfectly OK provided that range/conditions/rifle zeroed are OK. I have only got my rimmies in the past couple of years and before that had spent years shooting rabbits with 12ft/lbs .177, .22 and even a rat catcher (alot less powerfull) without having any problems providing all of the above is in place. That said i totally agree with Mr Ls statement re weight of rabbit/fox vs pwer of .22LR/air rifle

The only difference is in peoples perception. People seem fine for others to shoot rabbits with air rifles but if anyone mentions the shooting of a fox with a RF they automatically become the spawn of satan, even though the power / size of animal ratio is virtually the same

Hmmm... I think the RF has a place for fox too, it will work, but the conditions must be right. If you're always keeping to 50 yards, then heart/lung or head, both work just fine.

Hmmm... I think the RF has a place for fox too, it will work, but the conditions must be right. If you're always keeping to 50 yards, then heart/lung or head, both work just fine.

They do work fine with fox. like you say at close range and humane despatch. Its getting them on your ticket under RF that the tricky part with some forces.

No matter how good we are or claim to be, EVERYONE misses at some time.

Blame the weather, wind or the moon's phase, a miss is inevitable. Maiming or wounding's a bitch and although most responsible shooters go out of their way to finish off wounded prey, some escape.

You're retiring your 12ftlb'er because you missed in favor of what to guarentee one shot kills?

17hmr. You will miss or maim with that one too at sometime so will you give that up as well?

22LR. Good solid round but has no internal guidance system, you'll miss with that eventually DESPITE the heafty Ftlbs.

Shotgun. In the past, after the local shoot has finished and gone to the pub, I've found many a sorry sight in the bushes so that's not guarenteed either.

12ftlb is a comfortable power out to 35 yards as multitudes of airgunners will support. Just using a bigger gun does not make a guarenteed kill.

Your worry of wounding because you are using a 'lesser gun' will cause you to lose confidence in 'the shot' and then you will start to dither, stay in the aim longer, shake, and cause even more chance of wounding.

If you are just thinking that a bigger powerful gun is the answer, think again.

If you are genuinly worried about maiming prey at least you respect it BUT if you are that worried, it may be time to take up a safer sport. Safer for your prey that is.

Blame the weather, wind or the moon's phase, a miss is inevitable. Maiming or wounding's a bitch and although most responsible shooters go out of their way to finish off wounded prey, some escape.

You're retiring your 12ftlb'er because you missed in favor of what to guarentee one shot kills?

17hmr. You will miss or maim with that one too at sometime so will you give that up as well?

22LR. Good solid round but has no internal guidance system, you'll miss with that eventually DESPITE the heafty Ftlbs.

Shotgun. In the past, after the local shoot has finished and gone to the pub, I've found many a sorry sight in the bushes so that's not guarenteed either.

12ftlb is a comfortable power out to 35 yards as multitudes of airgunners will support. Just using a bigger gun does not make a guarenteed kill.

Your worry of wounding because you are using a 'lesser gun' will cause you to lose confidence in 'the shot' and then you will start to dither, stay in the aim longer, shake, and cause even more chance of wounding.

If you are genuinly worried about maiming prey at least you respect it BUT if you are that worried, it may be time to take up a safer sport. Safer for your prey that is.

Spot on! :clapper:

The shooter makes the shot with the gun in their hands.

Know your gun, it's limits and yours.

Cheers.

I'm not retiring the airgun in favour of the .17, just using it in fewer circumstances- (ie ideal ones only) yes, bigger gun does not equal better kill (perhaps better chance of a kill) ( , I am not allowed to shoot the .17 on my patch (Home) so the air gun as well as the FAC air gun is there to stay. I accept that at some stage I will (fatally/not) wound quarry, however all i want to do is lessen the chances of that happening... savvy? :D as for "lesser gun", not it's not lesser, suffice to say it is less suitable, not to say that it can't be used. i would perhaps liken it to hunting deer with a .223, it can be done, but it's not ideal.... (species dependent)

i am thinning the airguns primary roles purely because there are tools better suited for the different jobs -like having a full tool kit instead of having to make do with a single spanner for all applications ;) ;) (have mercy :( )

Edited by danebrewer10

Yea when you put it like that you have a point damn it hahahaha!!

They do work fine with fox. like you say at close range and humane despatch. Its getting them on your ticket under RF that the tricky part with some forces.

I have my .22LR and .17HMR conditioned specifically for fox :o

I personally see airguns as marginal for hunting - but ok i think if the shooter is responsible :thumbs:

What a load of absolute shite. Someone balls' up a shot, has a crisis of conscience, then comes on here starting a thread on about air guns not being up to the job. People have been hunting with 12 ft/lbs airguns for donkeys years with no bother, if you can't hunt proficiently with them, don't hunt with them.

This thread is not doing our sport any favours...

What a load of absolute shite. Someone balls' up a shot, has a crisis of conscience, then comes on here starting a thread on about air guns not being up to the job. People have been hunting with 12 ft/lbs airguns for donkeys years with no bother, if you can't hunt proficiently with them, don't hunt with them.

This thread is not doing our sport any favours...

:clapper: Yep. That about sums it up perfectly!

Cheers.