Snare making on youtube

Found this when i was browseing youtube. surely that will just full lose with the force of the rabbit.

y not wats wrong with it ..just asking..???

All he's done is twist a bit of wire around at the end to form a loop like an eye-let no knots or anything, so to me the power of the rabbit hitting it will just pull it lose when its been bouncing about.

Found this when i was browseing youtube. surely that will just full lose with the force of the rabbit.

All he's done is twist a bit of wire around at the end to form a loop like an eye-let no knots or anything, so to me the power of the rabbit hitting it will just pull it lose when its been bouncing about.

sure he tested them...ya sure watever .... :thumbs:

Just think itl be too weak to hold, Its suprising how much the can jump about.

But hey each to their own

Just think itl be too weak to hold, Its suprising how much the can jump about.

But hey each to their own

he does have other videos with rabbits caught in those snares. So they must work for him

The Americans don't have (or use) the same materials that we do. They use stainless steel or aircraft cable for almost all of their snares. They do not have the enormous numbers of rabbits that we do and so have not developed such devastating techniques as we have.

Our snares are better in every respect. They are softer, reusable, more humane and just down right better made. Those snares may well hold a rabbit, but ours will hold a dozen or more if properly retensioned and properly made.

The same can be said for their coyote and fox snares, they use aircraft cable (we do too sometimes) but we have at our disposal bowden cable which is much stiffer and stronger and holds a loop far better when loaded.

I guess they simply use what is at their disposal.

H

• 5 weeks later...

The same can be said for their coyote and fox snares, they use aircraft cable (we do too sometimes) but we have at our disposal bowden cable which is much stiffer and stronger and holds a loop far better when loaded.

I guess they simply use what is at their disposal.

H

sorry to disagree here but since i use these materials evey day,aircraft cable holds a better loop and runs faster than bowden cable :yes: not the other way round.

DSCF0303-1.jpg.

DSCF0311.jpg

this type of well loaded 7x7 aircraft cable snare is what we have been using for years .bowden cable with the abc locks dont run as smooth or as fast ,and thats a fact :yes:

regarding those rabbit snares the answer to the question is yes they will catch a rabbit but very shoddy workmanship. I used similar tactics when i was a lad over 40 years ago but i used multi stranded copper wire with a teather on the end and caught rabbits ,Experiance and having access to the best materials and information has helped me become proficient shall we say :) taking it all in goes a long way to making the snaring game a lot more simple than it actually is . Most people can catch rabbits on fences :yes: reading sign and catching them out on open runs or in ploughed fields now thats when the skill comes into play. Allthe information is here on this site just take the time to read it good hunting lads :good:

Edited by woodga

Maybe it's just me then Woodga, I can get a good loop in both but I can't get aircraft cable to fire as fast as bowden cable. Aircraft cable is easier to load though but each to their own. Maybe I need a lot more practice! :laugh:

H

• 4 weeks later...
thats how i make my snares, just twist n a loop. it does hold, you just need to twist it tight

but snares have to be free running in the uk, that is why they have eyelets in. those kind will hold but they will strangle the rabbit instead of holding it until dispatching