what is a proper foxing dog?

just looking through topics on fox dogs

but what stage can anyone say its a fox dog

1 a night

2a night

3 or more :icon_eek:

is there dogs capable of doing say 5 out of 5 every night,more even,single of course :yes:

maybe it would kill 4 and not want the 5th in one night

is it too much

to ask of a dog 5 a night

just want to pick your barains,on what idea is the so called bees knees fox dog :D

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just looking through topics on fox dogs

but what stage can anyone say its a fox dog

1 a night

2a night

3 or more :icon_eek:

is there dogs capable of doing say 5 out of 5 every night,more even,single of course :yes:

maybe it would kill 4 and not want the 5th in one night

is it too much

to ask of a dog 5 a night

just want to pick your barains,on what idea is the so called bees knees fox dog :D

theres some dogs that would do 5 anight :icon_eek:

but i reckon a dog that has not jibbed over 3 seasons of hard foxing work can be safely be called a foxing lurcher. but some dogs do throw in the towel. its like going everynight getting smacked in the face five times evrynight in the same place, so wouldnt say that dogs like foxing just do it full of spite. IMHO..

Cheers.

a good dog should be able to do more than 5 in a night, but thats not the point, it the length of the carer and how much its tested over time and type of situation........... a dog can only take what its presented with..... its the way it does it imho.

wanna see the amount on the industrial estates round me!! my dogs a fifer and his idea of foxes is usualy one out of two he kills and the second he tie's with he swears the plan is to breed them out but to be fair he's just a durty wee bashturt.

nah on a serious note any decent line of fox dog shouldnt be called a decent line if the dogs want to stop after 5 you should be the one wanting to call it a night not your dog.....

maybe i am wrong but i dont run my dogs on the lamp only work them daytime so as for the many they take in a night i would not know but at the minute i am running a young dog that started last season bull greyhoundxbullgreyhoundwhippet he has taken 34 single handed daytime foxes but to me he stills needs to prove himself this season to be called a fox dog

I remember we once put a terrier into a bramble patch over at Shooters Hill,big old mattress of a place running alongside a chain-link fence,seven fox squirted out in about 10 minutes,the terriers would often catch them in thick cover in allotments,waste-ground etc,I know the sort of ground you work KD and it is indeed saturated with fox :victory:

Shooters hills excellent for fox mate,I remember that morning well,because of the 7 that slipped out of that bramble patch we didnt catch one,they all went through a a run under the chainlink and ran over a wide-open playing field :icon_eek: People would be very surprised the amount of quarry actually inside greater London,we saw roughly 200 rabbits last weekend on a few fields,and outside on the roadside verge several munties grazing near a fox.Good luck in the morning ;)

maybe i am wrong but i dont run my dogs on the lamp only work them daytime so as for the many they take in a night i would not know but at the minute i am running a young dog that started last season bull greyhoundxbullgreyhoundwhippet he has taken 34 single handed daytime foxes but to me he stills needs to prove himself this season to be called a fox dog

What doe's he have to prove????? :icon_eek: 1 or 2 I could understand but 34 in his first season c'mon mate being a bit harse on the dog imo.

What doe's he have to prove????? :icon_eek: 1 or 2 I could understand but 34 in his first season c'mon mate being a bit harse on the dog imo.

i agree with undisputed there i have to say.

a young dog should not be seing 30 odd foxes in its first season [bANNED TEXT] are you playing at,i have a dog hear 19month old he had only seen 8foxes last season, 4 being on his own,and as for saying [bANNED TEXT] do you call a foxing lurcher,IT DOES NOT

HAVE TO KILL 4s AND 5s a night to be called a fox dog,

its as simple as this a dog that sees a fox and kills it then its afox dog but that does not mean to say that its a proven

fox dog.The way i bring my dogs on is to let them se a few in there first season but not to many,

I hold them back mainly in the first seaon then let them have a good go at them in there second season

i can honestly hold my hands up and say by doin [bANNED TEXT] i do with the dogs iv never had a dog let 1 go,TOUCH WOOD!

think you are missing the point here would not care if he had only seen 10 in his first season what i am saying 1 season does not make a fox dog he is a good dog for what he has done but another season will tell have had good fox dogs that throw in the towel after 2-3 seasons would not even let this dog be used on a bitch until he has 3 seasons under his belt and have had a few lads already inquiring for his services

think you are missing the point here would not care if he had only seen 10 in his first season what i am saying 1 season does not make a fox dog he is a good dog for what he has done but another season will tell have had good fox dogs that throw in the towel after 2-3 seasons would not even let this dog be used on a bitch until he has 3 seasons under his belt and have had a few lads already inquiring for his services

FAIR PLAY MATE HAPPY HUNTING,iv had a few lads wanting to use the dog of mine,i would let them aswel its not just [bANNED TEXT] they can do in 2 or 3 year,but yeah that would help,its wots in the dog and its breeding,thats [bANNED TEXT] i look for in a dog not the scars on its face that means nothing.happy hunting ste!