• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi lads

can anyone tell me what raw meats to give my 9 week old patterdale, at mo i am feeding him raw minced tripe and is it safe to give it to him at this early age ?

:drink: lads

At that age, he needs a balanced diet suitable for a fast growing puppy.

Tripe on its own is not.

Jim

Minced beef/lamb/minced whole chicken bones and all. Tiny amounts of liver and heart, like a teaspoon full: once a week. Too much is too rich and will make him scour. Vary the diet as much as possible. Tripe is fine in small amounts but is low in protein. Let him chew on a knuckle bone: it will give his jaws something to do. don't give him small bones at this age as they're likely to try and swallow them whole. (chicken wings for example: fine when he's a bit older, but not yet.

Minced beef/lamb/minced whole chicken bones and all. Tiny amounts of liver and heart, like a teaspoon full: once a week. Too much is too rich and will make him scour. Vary the diet as much as possible. Tripe is fine in small amounts but is low in protein. Let him chew on a knuckle bone: it will give his jaws something to do. don't give him small bones at this age as they're likely to try and swallow them whole. (chicken wings for example: fine when he's a bit older, but not yet.

:drink: skycat

"Minced beef/lamb/minced whole chicken bones and all. Tiny amounts of liver and heart, like a teaspoon full: once a week. Too much is too rich and will make him scour. Vary the diet as much as possible. Tripe is fine in small amounts but is low in protein. Let him chew on a knuckle bone: it will give his jaws something to do. don't give him small bones at this age as they're likely to try and swallow them whole. (chicken wings for example: fine when he's a bit older, but not yet. "

For ##### sake

You want to give him the best start, yes?

A complete puppy food - it doesn't matter what type - until he's fully grown

Then , feed him whatever you like

I've seen too many malnourished dogs to advise crap like that

Guest Ditch_Shitter
For ##### sake

Says a Vet.

Please tell us then, Vet; Do You sell " Complete Puppy Food "? If so, which one, please?

What's in it? Where are the ingredients sourced? What preserves it in its greasy little sack? What does it do for the teeth and thus general, following well being of the pup? And what is Wrong with feeding a pup flesh and bone? Where would a wild canine find a sack of " Complete Puppy Food "? If it can't come up with one; What would it raise its whelps on?

Iv always gone for one day raw one day good quality kibble, when getting your kibble for a pup, any dog really best to get one where the protein is meat sourced.

When this little lad was with me he was on that combination and thrived.

d7091b0c.jpg

P3200222.jpg

As did my Ripley, hes a big boy now.

7de7ccf6.jpg

Chicken carcases, lamb necks & ribs, rabbit, try asking your butcher for the stuff he chucks, ifs its a small local shop then cant see them minding, watch em with the bones mind, if they gannet em down like mine you have to be on the ball.

"Minced beef/lamb/minced whole chicken bones and all. Tiny amounts of liver and heart, like a teaspoon full: once a week. Too much is too rich and will make him scour. Vary the diet as much as possible. Tripe is fine in small amounts but is low in protein. Let him chew on a knuckle bone: it will give his jaws something to do. don't give him small bones at this age as they're likely to try and swallow them whole. (chicken wings for example: fine when he's a bit older, but not yet. "

For ##### sake

Bad advice IMO. Theres no such thing as a good dog food that comes in a bag or a tin for that matter.

Continue as you mean to go on and I'd keep feeding the minced tripe (green I presume).

For ##### sake

i was going to write a long winded post explaining why i think youre post is bullshit..... but i wont becuase im happy that are a few good dog men on here that know that skycats advie was pretty ,much on the ball. you stick to your wanky dry foods, but dont discoroge others from giving a pup the best start in life.

Sorry Jim, I don't agree at all. For you to state that feeding raw produces malnourished pups and that its crap advice shows how little you understand feeding raw food. As skycat, wink, ditch, Neil etc have written I wouldn't feed any of the dry foods, do the resarch and i'm sure you would switch in a heartbeat. Mine are raised and reared on a raw and are better for it.

max, thats what most do over here and some of the best greyhounds come from here.

nowt rong with feeding complete, as long as its not just that. gain, ect, are very good, most gryhound men, use this.

Agree with Maxhardcore, start weaning pups when they show signs they are ready, normally by sliding over to mum bowl of food and trying to steal it.

At this point I soak a good quality, high meat protein kibble, mix up an amount of animals milk, get a huge dried tub for about £15, blitz the squidgy kibble with the milk, feed the pups on that as well as raw, as the pups get older the milk is reduced and by the time the pups leave they are eating raw and partly soaked partly crunchy kibble, everyone I suppose has to find their own feet when it comes to feeding, do what works for you.

3 1/2 weeks old here if I remember rightly

390ad3a1.jpg

55490ea9.jpg

5607437c.jpg

4a32822e.jpg

By the time they left.

b946b0be.jpg

5f932ad5.jpg

2becfcf7.jpg

281afb99.jpg

i totally dont think its right giving pups raw meat as i got a pup which had been brought up on raw meat and didnt seem well at all. when it was in the pen with other pups it seemed to be me best pup there so i got it home and just didnt bother running about or nothing. i thought just let is get used to the place and should hopefully be ok but 3days passed and still the same. I tuck the dog to the vets and was told it was brain damaged she asked what is had been fed i told her raw meat and i basically answered my own question So raw meat is a bad thing for me thats my opinion. ferret_uk

Feeding raw meat doesn't cause brain damage.........You must feed a balanced raw diet, 60% raw meaty bones and 40% of minced meat, veg, fruit and fish. Do wolf cubs all die of brain damage?? I'm sure the poor pup had another underlying problem that was nothing to do with the diet.

i totally dont think its right giving pups raw meat as i got a pup which had been brought up on raw meat and didnt seem well at all. when it was in the pen with other pups it seemed to be me best pup there so i got it home and just didnt bother running about or nothing. i thought just let is get used to the place and should hopefully be ok but 3days passed and still the same. I tuck the dog to the vets and was told it was brain damaged she asked what is had been fed i told her raw meat and i basically answered my own question So raw meat is a bad thing for me thats my opinion. ferret_uk

How can you possibly make a blanket statement that 'raw meat is no good for pups' based on one pup's sad state? And if it was not 'well at all', how could it also be the 'best pup there'?

Forgive me for criticizing what you have written, but surely a brain damaged pup would have been the last one you would pick from a litter! And if it appeared to be the best one of the bunch then surely that shows that there was something very wrong with the rest of them, and it certainly wouldn't be due to a meat diet! I have yet to 'poison' a litter of pups, or any pup at all, by feeding them meat. My pups get their first taste of meat when I throw a gutted rabbit into their bed: usually at about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks old: they're just like ferret kits then: dive on it and suck it dry with their gummy little jaws LOL. But they're still getting their dam's milk at that age, and usually up until about 6 to 8 weeks depending on the bitch.

Please don't make assumptions based purely on one experience.

post-5156-1214998234_thumb.jpg