Top Water/surface Lures...

Anybody been having much success with those suicide ducks and savage rat lures?

Had some good fun last year with some cheap Chinese weedless frogs but thought I'd try a few of the savage ducks and rats.

Cheers,Matt

Not had nothing on the suicide ducks yet but others are having plenty of hits but not hooking up so they are modding the hook placement by using a stainless wire on the rear treble to move it further back . I've caught on the rat but I've had move missed hookups than fish on the bank because I think the body masks the hook a bit too much so im going to up the hook size to try and make it easier to hook up .

• Like 2

My biggest pike (15 lbs) was on a plug of the top and it's some rush. Fishing any bait on the top ie. floating crust, dry fly etc. is IMO the nicest type of bite and all species will take off the surface if conditions are right.

When your fishing a surface lure ,or, better still something like a Daddylonglegs on a long leader retrieved back towards you and you see that bow wave coming up behind it it's bloody hard to beat IMO.

• Like 3

My biggest pike (15 lbs) was on a plug of the top and it's some rush. Fishing any bait on the top ie. floating crust, dry fly etc. is IMO the nicest type of bite and all species will take off the surface if conditions are right.

When your fishing a surface lure ,or, better still something like a Daddylonglegs on a long leader retrieved back towards you and you see that bow wave coming up behind it it's bloody hard to beat IMO.

it certainly gets the heart pumping, my biggest trout is 15 lb rainbow, and it was caught on a hares ear coloured ship mans buzzer on the surface with 6lb line, when it took by feck my heart was beating like a fiddlers elbow
  • Like 1

Not had nothing on the suicide ducks yet but others are having plenty of hits but not hooking up so they are modding the hook placement by using a stainless wire on the rear treble to move it further back . I've caught on the rat but I've had move missed hookups than fish on the bank because I think the body masks the hook a bit too much so im going to up the hook size to try and make it easier to hook up .

My suicide duck came with that extender rod so I'll give it a go and see if they are coming up short.

Cheers, matt

• Like 1

Looks like savage have listened to Phil blakley about the improved hook up mod and supplied the newer ones with the rod . I'll give mine another go this week if I get time and see if I can get one

Looks like savage have listened to Phil blakley about the improved hook up mod and supplied the newer ones with the rod . I'll give mine another go this week if I get time and see if I can get one

I got mine in the states so not sure if that's why it came with the bar. It's worth a mention that both the rat and duck are the medium size and not the full size.

Matt

Looks like they are supplying the extension wire with them now , at least in the states and Australia from the videos I've just seen . I've not had my hands on the smaller ones so I'm not sure what the hook ups are like with them . If you're on the look out for other duck and rats , spro do some nice looking rats and westin do a duck imitation.

Anyone recommend some perch lures?

For soft plastics you can't go wrong with 2&2.5 inch kopytos in yellow and white ( colour code 055 & 001) . Big bite crappie thumpers and crazy fish minnows in the 1.6 - 3inch size range . For hard baits salmo tiny and lil bugs , Hester tackle carp in the roach , crucian and perch patterns , yo zuri aile goby and matzou nano cranks are all good baits
  • Like 1