Bit Of A Panic..

Thanks for sharing that, shows it can happen to the best of us. After walking thousands of miles on Dartmoor (girly hills really) I've only ever properly shat myself once after the snow came down UN forecast, I was on the NW edge of the moor and walking up top, snow came down in massive chunks, total whiteout. I knew exactly where I was but thought to be safe I would walk down to river and follow a brook from that back to van. I was convinced I'd missed the river even though it would have been impossible for me to do so as long as I walked downhill. The snow made it feel like I had walked much further than I really had, like four times further, wierd experience.

Another thing which made me think about safety happened in October, sheep got into neighbours garden, went up with wife and mate of mine and got them back when walking across my own field I slipped, loud bang and my ankle was broken, properly broken. Full on whitey when I tried to get home 150yds being supported by wife and friend so lay down and waited for ambulance. If this accident had coincided with the whiteout event it could have been really, really serious. I've never taken a mobile with me hunting but I will from now on. I know I could have crawled home a few miles if my life depended on it but the bone grating was not pleasant and wouldn't have done it any good either.

• Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well had a wander out for a stress free hike yesterday morning with just Don & Ruby..I set off with the intention of just walking some 6 miles or so on the fells,weather was dry & the skies we

Yeah 99% of the time im out on my own,often where there is no phone signal or anything,i actually fell when coming down a mountain a couple of months ago,i was like a pin ball machine bouncing from ro

just like the film,,the Revenant,,sleeping in side a gutted beast..

Posted Images