Louth foxhounds.

Tara harriers.

Fingal harriers.

Oriel harriers.

Pembrokshire foxhounds.

Goldburn beagles.

Westmeath beagles.

County Cork minkhounds.

I'm sure I've forgotten a couple and could add on several footpacks and gun packs.

• Like 2

Hello all readers,

Not wishing to boast but I have lost count of how many packs I have followed over the years, but I will mention just a few that I have followed more than others.

Some of my favourite packs have been in the shires.

I followed the Vale of Belvoir for years with my brother and a great farming friend from Tideswell in Derbyshire, Frank Noble. Then with Frank being a farmer in Derbyshire we proceeded to follow the (High Peak Harriers) and did I have some fun with the (Antis)! However, that is another story!

Days spent with our local pack, the 'South Notts" and ourselves doing the terrier work under Phillip Watts who eventually moved to the York and Anisty North if my memory serves myself well. My brother had some great days at the Albrighton with Bert Gripton.

Many other fond memories of years gone by spent with the Cottesmore, Blankney, Holderness,Grove and Ruffed and many , many more which are too numerous to mention.

Some particular packs will always be etched in my memory for certain events that occurred.

One pack in mind was at the South Durham when working under Grahame Wing, working terriers and kennel man. Another good pack was the Vale of Aylesbury followed by Sir Watkin William -Wynn's famous pack of hounds in and around Shropshire. Sir WatkinWilliam -Wynn's name being somewhat synonymous in the Foxhunting world.

Some wonderful times experienced both with terriers and hounds at the Cheshire to whom a great friend Shaun Hutchinson was the whipper in; then we followed him to the ludlow and now he is huntsman to the Suffolk.

Many more chapter's could be wrote, perhaps on another occasion.

Before my departure I would just like to mention some of the foot packs.

Many days being spent with the Blencathra, Ullswater, and with the Lunesdale.

Just forgetting about the great times with the West Norfolk, certain packs in particular with the packs in the South west. Also another memorable pack was the Devon and Somerset Staghounds, some fantastic hunting. There has been some wonderful private packs and a good friend of many years who resides in Barnsley hunts a few Beagles which are great for hunting foxes and he catches more than his fair share of foxes.

The list goes on! But yet for another occasion, so for now good luck to all the genuine guys in the game. Regards, Lutra Lutra....

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 3

Apologies to all readers, I think it would have been a good idea to list them in certain order. Nowadays down to many unhappy events I'm not at all like former times, so apologies once again. Also mentioned in another post about the Ian Newton book about Finches, of course the offer still stands. Unfortunately the response hasn't been too great. "Funny that is for sure"!

Regards again, Lutra....

Lutra lutra

When did you hunt with the west Norfolk as this is my local pack and when I first started to follow Jim Wing used to drive the terriers about

We may have met then as my dad did the terriers and countryman work when Ian Higgs, James Taylor etc hunted hounds

They are a poor shadow of a pack with a poor huntsman and dwindling country now

Archi

Hello again,

My mistake regarding Phillips position at the York and Anisty South, my brother would have known better he has followed more packs than myself and has a greater knowledge regarding hound packs and hunting with hounds. To some people Phillip seemed to be somewhat miserable when trying to approach him and engage in certain topics of conversation. We never found that to be the case, we had some excellent times together within our shared interests. I can remember taking him to the Rydal hound show many years ago and we all got rather drunk. That evening we all went to a restaurant for a drink and meal together with 2 other friends and (Anthony Barker).Upon eating our fill we all left, when I asked Phillip who had picked up the bill he replied not himself or any other person had so.I knew I hadn't paid. So the moral of the story is, in our inebriated state we had just all walked out without paying! Anthony Barker was so drunk we had to pick him up and transport him to the car.....

"I think sometimes if you know something about a certain subject no matter sometimes how difficult a person comes across, you can gain a certain respect. That was our relationship with Phillip, plus total reliability and trust!

Regarding the West Norfolk.I first hunted with them approximately 30 years ago but really followed them about 25 years ago.

My brother has told myself about Jim Wing.To be quite honest when your mind is a blur you tend to forget about certain names, but they will eventually come to myself once again.

Certain places remain in my memory regarding a place called Castle Acre but I forget who owned the land. I remember meeting some keepers at the time at little Massingham and great Massingham. Archie, Just a question please? Did they hunt into Fakenham? A place called Mileham springs to mind and my brother took myself to a place he had been at Litcham Warren. Before fox hunting with hounds I was drawn to the place of Norfolk in my early childhood days and of course behond, to the rich birdlife on the Norfolk broads. I love the location!

I do realise the West Norfolk may not be the cream of fox hunting. However, the sport of venery is very old I think.Plus I did notice there was a close bond between fox hunters. "I am correct"? It seems to be that in this somewhat crazy world of ours, that everything that was once good is so rapidly changing. Traditions, music, places and more important people!

Good Luck, Lutra....

• Like 1

Lutra, I helped doing the terriers for him for a few seasons, so I was hardly a stranger.....! :whistling: The huntsman before him was John Smith and he was a top bloke! :yes: :yes: IMO a Huntsman has to be friendly and approachable, it is part of his job as the ambassador for the hunt. JMHO.........

• Like 2