Mushrooms And Fungi

It's always best not to rely on one book but I think The River Cottage Handbook, Mushrooms by John Wright is good beginners book. This isn't a comprehensive guide to everything out there but he focuses on the common edibles you would probably find on a walk and the dangerous ones you could confuse them with. He has a witty style of writing so its a good read as well, with a few recipes at the back of the book. It's small enough to carry with you and the photographs/descriptions are excellent

A lot of books tend to give you way too many fungi to look at and it easy to be put off but I found it is best to become really good at identifying a handful of tasty ones and leave the rest alone.

Another great book which really does cover fungi extensively is Mushrooms by Roger Phillips considered to be the godfather of Mushroom identification, I have this one at home.

• Like 1

I have Roger Philips "Wild Food" which covers Mushroom foraging very well but also covers many wild plants,sea shore, wines, wild medicine etc, etc, etc. You should be able to check it out on Amazon or such like,- excellent book.

atb.

Edited by mark williams
  • 7 months later...