Advice For Someone Starting Out...

Hi,

I've bought a cracking catapult from Longers7, a truly beautiful bit of kit. However, I could do with working out how best to aim and shoot it!

I've had a browse on YouTube but seen nothing that really helps. Any advice, or direction to suitable video clips, would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

How do you hold your catty Gavin? Forks up or forks to the side? If forks to the side, then I used the tip of the fork as an aiming marker, and using my ear as an anchor point to pull to, might be worth hanging a piece of paper up with a 25mm black circle drawn on it, take a few shots at it, holding the catty that feels comfortable to you, then you will be able to see how far away from the circle you are, then adjust from there. If hitting high of the mark then raise your anchor point, if hitting low then lower your anchor point, then if your hitting right of the circle then move aiming mark on catty to the left, if hitting left then move it to the right, start at a reasonable distance away, say 5-6 meters until you find where your anchor point is and what you use on the catty as an aiming mark. Unfortunately there is no quick fix to getting accurate with it, like everything in life, the more you shoot the better you will become, after a while it will just become natural. Hope this helps mate

as longers said but plant your feet where your comfortable and point your arm in the direction of what your shooting and dont move when taking a shot just draw back the elastic take aim all in one movement you,ll get their in the end :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Still struggling...!

I'm right eye dominant but I shoot with the catapult in my right hand as that is most comfortable for me.

My natural stance makes me hold the catapult at a forty five degree angle, rather than upright or fully side on. I think I need to change this as I often hit the right hand fork and I need to aim significantly below the target to get anywhere near it. I feel like I'm aiming miles off the target.

Thoughts and suggestions please guys.

I'm right eye dominant too mate, but I use my left eye when shooting my catty, I also used to hold catty at a 45 degree angle but found that it was really inaccurate and inconsistent, I physically made my self hold my catty vertically in the sideways/gangster style. After a while of consciously forcing myself to shoot this way, it didn't take long to just automatically shoot this way. I'd like to think I'm not a bad shot now, and can shoot pretty much what I'm aiming at. If your having to aim considerably lower than your target then move your anchor point down, this will make your shot go higher. Main thing is to just stick at it mate, hope this helps

Improved a little... now holding the forks upright, right hand fork on target but I find all my shots are to the right. I have to aim to the left to get on target

20140721_222518.jpg

I then had a disaster...

20140721_223422.jpg

How do I fix this guy's..? I'm addicted and need to get back at it ASAP!

Edited by Mustelid

Can't see the pics mate? If your shots are going to the right, it might be because you are canting the forks forwards, make sure they are verticle, have a look in a mirror holding your catty as you would if taking a shot, or film yourself on your phone camera etc. that way you can check to see if everything is how it should be?

It's just the strip of theraband has come undone, just re-attach it with a rubber band etc, like what's been said mate, check out BPR's pinned tutorial, and just reattach using the wrap and tuck method. You'll prob need a new set of bands soon, as TBG don't last that long.

I wonder if its like anything else you either have a talent for it or you dont...........................and i dont !......practised and practised but im still f****n awful......im not the quitting type but sometimes you just got to hold your hands up.

Give it a nice round figure say 1000 hours practise.....if you still cant hit the side of a barn door do what i did and call it quits ;)

• Like 1

Refuse to believe that gnasher, I think half the battle is finding a style to suit you. What catty setup do you use

you got it spot on mate, i can shoot with the catty sideways ttf and over the top but soon as i hold the catty 45 deg or upright i cant hit jack shit, even at 5 yards a barn door is safe.

• Like 1

Refuse to believe that gnasher, I think half the battle is finding a style to suit you. What catty setup do you use

I was using one bpr sent me,nothing wrong with it i just couldnt do it plain and simple i tried every which way i must just be a cackhanded c**t !............

Thats a good video though might give it one last go after watching that :D