Dyeing Nets

Danielm7353

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terry, the reason the rabbits were throwing themselves at the 6z nets and bouncing off was that the lamps they were using were panicing the rabbits. I do not know if the night vision and lamps were us

Very interesting hearing everyone's opinion's, thoughts and experience's regarding black net's. With my personal experiences with the colour black I had a 40 yard spun nylon net which when it was us

Good intresting input fella's, nothing clever just good honest findings. long may it continue.   TC

:hmm:Back in the day, when I was financially involved with a Field Sports Supplies business,...we bought in,. a large quantity of black netting...The mesh came in at a reasonable wholesale price,. and this enabled us to line the webs,... and market them as the very much, in vogue,. 'Stealth Nets'...

We sold a fair few... :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1

The reason I use a black net joonsy is..i fecked up dyeing it :icon_redface: pure and simple, and I couldn't be arsed to re-dye it.. I wasn't out to intentionally prove anything I just fancied a different coloured net (which turned out black :laugh:). but trust me it catches no problem.

• Like 1

Very interesting hearing everyone's opinion's, thoughts and experience's regarding black net's.

With my personal experiences with the colour black I had a 40 yard spun nylon net which when it was used at night on it's own and/or along side other's even of the same material would never perform very well at all, it just seemed no matter where or how the net was set at night it just wouldn't work for me. The net was taken on by someone I had been out with a few time's who was made aware of my thought's about it, unfortunately I haven't spoken to him for a fair while now so how he got on with it I can't tell you.

I have also tried stop net's in the same colour including a hedge type net that I use which has about a yard of the bright/fluro polyester type twine on one end which is braided onto the end pin which is placed taught as far into the hedge as is achievable in the hope of making them come out of the thick hedge enough to get caught in the main part of the net. It seemed to me the whole time the green's and browns would by far out perform the black's regardless of the placement.

It might just be I have really bad luck with the black one's but I can only offer my views from my experiences. Mr Goodcat.

• Like 2

i had a green/blue net that was sold to me and it came in the wrong mesh size.. its the 3.5inch mesh and i have seen a few on here so im sure some will know the net im talking of.

this net could be seen on a dark night, there was no way you was going to trip up over this once you have been out in the dark awhile and your eyes have climatised. i imagaine these to be more likely to be noticed but mine still caught and held.

it was a poor net because of the mesh size but rabbits did hit it and the proof was all the sections that had to be cut out due to bite holes left in there... it did catch as does the black one the green ones and the burgendy ones in my coat...

theres also an invisible one but i cant find it..

• Like 1

Terry, the reason the rabbits were throwing themselves at the 6z nets and bouncing off was that the lamps they were using were panicing the rabbits. I do not know if the night vision and lamps were used just to show the rabbits entering the nets? All I can say is they failed misrably if that was the intention. The video you are talking about is to be honest a good advert for how not to bant a field. It may well have been made under the constraints of time and the limitations of the camera and night vision. But IMHO the people who made that do not have a clue about longnetting at night.

I have spoken to one of the people who made that video on a few occations, each time I have spoken to him he has gone down in my esteem. Make of that what you will, but I will tell you now you have more hunting guile and an instinct for long netting than he will ever have.

TC

If its the same video im thinking of wasn't that a hemp net??

i belive bill said it was a hemp net, one of the guys makeing that video in MY opinon is a tool...the other with the beard ...as i have said before is one of my personal hero who i have a LOT of respect for,and who has given me a lot of time and put up with a LOT of pestering from a very young PK over the years. and is in my opinion is very knowledgeable about night netting

The reason I use a black net joonsy is..i fecked up dyeing it :icon_redface: pure and simple, and I couldn't be arsed to re-dye it.. I wasn't out to intentionally prove anything I just fancied a different coloured net (which turned out black :laugh:). but trust me it catches no problem.

Sounds like I'm cursed or fooked with the colour;-). Mr Goodcat.

002.jpg

Used to do a nice wee blind set, with two 25 yarders, i always did it tradional, one net green the other black, did this set a few times, and both nets caught,dont think the green caught more than the black.

the black net was turned into a quick set, and have seen it used a few times on ferreting trips, again along with brown and green nets, and again made no difference, but as we use dogs to push them into nets, the rabbits dont have time to look at colour.

Interesting does anyone know if they are colour blind, do they just see in black or white, or colour?

Interesting does anyone know if they are colour blind, do they just see in black or white, or colour?

I had a look this morning, as humans we tend to think that every other animal see's the same thing, all-be-it from a different angle. I found this and although it pertains to tame rabbiits I should imagine it would hold good for wild ones too.

What Do Rabbits See?

by Dana M. Krempels, Ph.D.

Many house rabbit "parents" are curious to know what the world looks like to their lagomorph companion. Why does it seem difficult for my bunny to find food right in front of his face? Why is my bunny so easily startled or frightened if I walk into the room holding a box or a grocery bag? Can my rabbit see colors?

The first thing to remember is that a rabbit's visual system evolved under evolutionary pressures completely different from those which "designed" your eyes. We human primates, like our simian cousins, have forward-placed eyes which confer binocular vision and depth perception. This is essential for an animal originally designed to leap through the trees. Also, we have excellent color vision, a trait which helped our ancestors to find ripe fruit and tasty flowers in the forest canopy.

On the other hand, the rabbit visual system is designed--not for foraging and locomotion--but to quickly and effectively detect approaching predators from almost any direction. The eyes are placed high and to the sides of the skull, allowing the rabbit to see nearly 360 degrees, as well as far above her head. Rabbits tend to be farsighted, which explains why they may be frightened by an airplane flying overhead even if their human companion can barely see it. (It could be a hawk! Run!)

The price the bunny pays for this remarkable field of vision is a small blind spot directly in front of his face, but forward-placed nostrils and large, spooning ears compensate for that minor loss of predator-detecting space. For an animal to have binocular vision, the field of view of both eyes must overlap to some degree. The central blind spot in the rabbit's field of view precludes a three-dimensional view of nearby objects. When your bunny cocks her head and seems to be looking at you "sideways," she is actually looking as straight at you as is possible for a bunny. As far as we know, she does not have a primate's level of depth perception at such close range.

What about color vision? In general, vertebrates have two different types of photoreceptor cells in their retinas: rods and cones. Cones confer high resolution, and, if more than one cone type is present, they also confer the ability to perceive various wavelengths of light as distinct colors. For example, we humans have three different categories of cone--their maximum sensitivities in the red, blue and green regions of the spectrum. The differing sensitivities of each cone type enable us to perceive different (visible) wavelengths of light as the colors of the rainbow.

Behavioral studies published in the early 1970's indicate that rabbits do have a limited ability to discriminate between some wavelengths of light, perceiving them as different colors. Evidently, they can discriminate between the wavelengths we call "green" and "blue." Although rabbits may not perceive green and blue the way we do, they *can* tell them apart. This means they have limited color vision, probably conferred by two different categories of cone cells (blue and green).

The other type of photoreceptor, the rod cell, confers high visual sensitivity in low light situations, but relatively poor resolution (i.e., a "grainy" picture). The rabbit retina has a much higher ratio of rods to cones than the human retina has. Although a rabbit can see better than a human in low light conditions, his low light image has much poorer resolution (clarity) than the daytime images formed by your cone-rich, primate retina.

Now you may wonder: "Can my rabbit see me clearly, or am I just a big blur?" As you read this page, you are focusing on the letters with a very tiny part of your retina called the fovea. This is a minuscule, cone-shaped depression in the retina, lined wall-to-wall with high resolution cone cells.

Rabbits, too, have small retinal areas with more cones than rods. However, this (italics) area centralis (close italics) is not indented, and it has far lower cone density than our fovea has. The image formed by the area centralis is relatively "grainy" compared to the one formed by your fovea, but it serves the rabbit well. Using this image, your voice, body movements and scent as cues, your rabbit can recognize you (his favorite human)--as long as you're not carrying a scary box that completely changes your familiar shape!

Knowing a little more about how another creature sees the world allows us to come one step closer to understanding its behavior--and modifying our own to make life happier for everyone. Remember that the next time your rabbit gazes at you with those deep, ancient eyes.

copyright 1998 - Dana Krempels

TC

Net colour, Weather affecting bolting, should dogs grab and hold Rabbits in the net.

All interesting subjects.

I, like us all have been out in clear crisp mornings, when they have refused to bolt, even when taking time and being quiet.

Also had them hitting nets quick time when blowing a gale, other windy days they might not budge.

I was out yesterday, a quiet mild day, and bolted 5 in one and a half hrs, all hit the purse nets like trains, two were put in burys with my pup breathing down on them, usually as you know, makes them reluctant to bolt, but it made no difference.

My purse nets were Red, Green, White, pink and plain hemp, it made no difference,

Also have noticed when ferreting a hill with large sets and putting stop nets round, again the rabbits appear to bolt better with no purse nets covering the burys.

Regarding dogs grabbing, it all depends what you are doing with them, if going to a Gamedealer or Butcher then its obvious you don't even want the slightest marks, but as I just use them to feed the Dog and ferrets, then im not bothered, have to say although my Pup will grab and hold, they are not badly bruised.

Edited by Country Joe