Squirrel Hawking

Just spoke to a old friend about his male Harris on squirrels he wishes he never did it as when fling in the woods for rabbits etc when he misses he then goes up into the canopy searching dreys out I thing to out to try duck moorhen this year mate don't bother with the squirrels. I do like Cajun squirrel tho:)

i carnt see one squirrel causing him to do that, if it happens it happens if not i havent lost owt. how did your friend do on squirrels with his male?

Redtailvfor squirrels. I would not use a male HH

its times like this i wish i did have the right bird for the job, reading members diaries of redtails on the falconry forum has me green with envy, do you fly the redtails of breed them?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's like any part of falconry you get your bird for the type of quarry you have and a male Harris is not the bird for squirrels I couldn't fly a male at them nowing what could happen not worth the da

Just spoke to a old friend about his male Harris on squirrels he wishes he never did it as when fling in the woods for rabbits etc when he misses he then goes up into the canopy searching dreys out I

Yeah the threads put me off, but then i thought about the lurchers I've seen injured out lamping and the three terriers I've dug out dead.

I'm undecided if it is as risky as some say or if we only hear about the times it's gone wrong. The vast majority of squirrels must be killed clean, off course that's no help if its yours that gets bitten badly.

The flip side is without experience a hawk might make a bad job of it bit with experience may go on to do it without problems.

I do remember reading an American web page where they started there's on small rats and then big rats then squirrels to get them used to grabbing the head, the small rats I suppose give a nip but can't do real damage. I Don't know if small rats help but if they did I'd just give mine about twenty at the start of a season and go on from there.

I think it all depends on how the hawk lands after taking the squirrel, soft land and snow won't help same as when ratting with terriers around slurry and water.

Yeah the threads put me off, but then i thought about the lurchers I've seen injured out lamping and the three terriers I've dug out dead.

I'm undecided if it is as risky as some say or if we only hear about the times it's gone wrong. The vast majority of squirrels must be killed clean, off course that's no help if its yours that gets bitten badly.

The flip side is without experience a hawk might make a bad job of it bit with experience may go on to do it without problems.

I do remember reading an American web page where they started there's on small rats and then big rats then squirrels to get them used to grabbing the head, the small rats I suppose give a nip but can't do real damage. I Don't know if small rats help but if they did I'd just give mine about twenty at the start of a season and go on from there.

I think it all depends on how the hawk lands after taking the squirrel, soft land and snow won't help same as when ratting with terriers around slurry and water.

some of the injuries are horrific, one pic the toe was hanging on by a mm of skin and that was on a female harris, so im going to avoid them, theres risk in any type of hunting you do and like you said with experience it helps and the risk will be reduced but it still never goes away. i know it may sound sadistic but i do hope my hawk goes doing what he does best as i dont want to keep him to an age where it takes a toll on him when flying and breeding him will never be an option for me, and i certainly wont be keeping a hawk that can no longer do what i require of him so he will be put to sleep but i hope it wont ever come to that. be interesting to hear whats happened to your lads past hawks and i dont mean the one thats been sold on but where they have passed due to hunting injury or old age, anybody kept a bird flying until the end? thanks

Just spoke to a old friend about his male Harris on squirrels he wishes he never did it as when fling in the woods for rabbits etc when he misses he then goes up into the canopy searching dreys out I thing to out to try duck moorhen this year mate don't bother with the squirrels. I do like Cajun squirrel tho:)

i carnt see one squirrel causing him to do that, if it happens it happens if not i havent lost owt. how did your friend do on squirrels with his male?

its times like this i wish i did have the right bird for the job, reading members diaries of redtails on the falconry forum has me green with envy, do you fly the redtails of breed them?

I just hunt with the female now. Mainly lamping

It's an interesting question,

I waited to get a Harris knowing it may live for years and I may still be flying it a decade or more from now.Frightening really as nobody knows what the future holds.

China might have decided to change its nature and go imperialistic and we will all be their slaves lol

• Like 1

I just hunt with the female now. Mainly lamping

thanks for the reply bud, what happens with the male then if you dont mind me asking?

I quite agree the male has not got the power to subdue them,( well the big ones)my last fhh had a few and never got bitten, but I am looking forward to the male redtail having them this year.

have you been and saw the redtail bud?

I got big into squirrel hawking. It's great sport. Wouldn't read too much into the pics you see, the hawks obviously weren't ready for squirrel in a lot of cases. If your hawk is a good footer, has a good attitude, isn't intimidated by you on making in and she is fit and a good size, you should be fine.

I got big into squirrel hawking. It's great sport. Wouldn't read too much into the pics you see, the hawks obviously weren't ready for squirrel in a lot of cases. If your hawk is a good footer, has a good attitude, isn't intimidated by you on making in and she is fit and a good size, you should be fine.

only problem is she is a he

your first could be your last i thought same with my 4 year old female had her from 16 week catty n hawk good by squirrels first bit through center toe joint 6week off second through toe other foot a couple more got in early grabbed em with head with mi welldin glove next latched on to her nostrel all were a pain to heal she hated em she would rag drays to bolte em and when they went to ground would lay on her side n try footin em out so i used to trap n shoot certain areas to try thin em out also when you think birds playin up n not comin to glove in woods it could be havin a stand of wi squiz plyin peep po funny though never been bit rats hope this helps

I quite agree the male has not got the power to subdue them,( well the big ones)my last fhh had a few and never got bitten, but I am looking forward to the male redtail having them this year.

have you been and saw the redtail bud?

Yes mate pick him up aug 10th all being well, cant wait, squirrels beware lol.