Ringing; My Way .....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all you lads hard at it, struggling to get your chicks rung with those infernal (If entirely necessary) Close Rings, I thought I'd show you how I get to do it.   The tits are hatching now. So,

Well here's some pics of the ringing of a Lesser redpoll i did today,first pic is done to try to show some scale of how small the ring is. ring and leg it to go on. getting over the first toes,w

Keep some canaries and foster the eggs out under them,if my bullies ever get to nest and i get any eggs there out of there asap if i got another hen to put them under.

If i sway toward's bullies Tong Po i will have to try and devise a plan to hide the ring's till they are too old to be chewed of..my head is ticking as i type.. :D

I cover the ring in the sticky part of a plaster this seems to help as its a similar colour to the leg unless you've got a cock who's being a t##t

• Like 1

Keep some canaries and foster the eggs out under them,if my bullies ever get to nest and i get any eggs there out of there asap if i got another hen to put them under.

that's cheating fireman lol :D

Not always a easy cheat though ,the greenie chick i fosterd is way bigger than the canary i put the egg under and she's given up on it and it's not weaned.I left it for a bit calling out in the aviary but she wasn't feeding it so i topped it up and left it be just to make sure she'd left it,well she had so i brought it inside to a cage and just after those ringing pics i went to feed it again and left the shed door ajar :icon_redface: ,guess the rest :censored: .BUT after a afternoon of trying tempting it down with it's foster mum in a cage hung from the washing line and a couple of nearly catching it i was outside trying to watch where it was going to roost when it tried to reach the house roof again but didn't make it and it fluttered down and almost landed in my hands :boogy: ,it was happy to sit and be fed by then and is now sharing a cage with mum for the night and i'll have to finish it's rearing and weaning myself.

• Like 3

Not always a easy cheat though ,the greenie chick i fosterd is way bigger than the canary i put the egg under and she's given up on it and it's not weaned.I left it for a bit calling out in the aviary but she wasn't feeding it so i topped it up and left it be just to make sure she'd left it,well she had so i brought it inside to a cage and just after those ringing pics i went to feed it again and left the shed door ajar :icon_redface: ,guess the rest :censored: .BUT after a afternoon of trying tempting it down with it's foster mum in a cage hung from the washing line and a couple of nearly catching it i was outside trying to watch where it was going to roost when it tried to reach the house roof again but didn't make it and it fluttered down and almost landed in my hands :boogy: ,it was happy to sit and be fed by then and is now sharing a cage with mum for the night and i'll have to finish it's rearing and weaning myself.

:thumbs:

I left the greenie chick in a hanging cage with it foster mum hung up and i didn't want to leave a light on in there all night so i left the door open,only said to my misses last night "first thing i'm going to the wood yard for the wood for a safety door on that shed" , the hawk left a feather so i know what it was that was in there and it also grabed hold on my siskin hen who was sat on a egg and she ain't looking to good by it either.Still how could it get worse i thought and then as i was setting some goldie eggs crunch went the one she'd just layed that hadn't quite hardened properly :censored: ,still the other greenie chicks have started to fledge and their coming out sattinet now rather than cinny in their feather. As for the spar we'll meet tomorrow morning when he try's his luck again no doub't,but i won't be catching it that's naughty :laugh:

They are twat's for grabbing stuff through the mesh..i had some quail on the lawn last year in a little mesh run made with 2in square mesh..i got up one morning and a fooking spar had grabbed one through the mesh and ate half of it..good luck with the other greenies mate.. :victory: ..you deffinitely need it..

• Like 1

:( Oh, that's just f**king barbaric, Fireman! I mean; The hawk's entitled to what ever he can grab. That's what he does. But, going into ye sheds and emptying ye cages? That's f**king bang out of order!

Dunno if I mentioned? I've got a pine marten in my cow shed. Absolute and total f**king slaughter!!! It's torn its way through Eight f**king starling nest boxes. Wiped out the entire damn colony. Took the robins. Swallows. Nothing has a chance around here now.

And, what's worse is that I'm seeing more and more piney shit all around me. Pat laid a bit of hard track the other day? Over f**king night it had two loads of piney shit delivered.

Yesterday, I went up through my boundary ditch and bank. Noted a stump my neighbour had chain sawed, on his side. Then I saw the poxy f**king piney shit on it!!! :icon_eek: They, quite literally, have me surrounded! We're inundated with them now!

At least the spar tends to pass through and only come round again now and then. These f**king things set up camp and do a complete scorched earth job! :censored:

Spar's are just as bad Pete..once they know that a easy meal is on the card's they will keep coming till there is nothing left.. :cray: ..which will quite a lot at this time of the year as they will more or less have young in the nest and the musket will be killing around 6 small bird's a day to keep the brood fed..

cxxt that fireman, never really had much bother with them over the years funnily enough ( touch wood ) I think I'mm going to be bothered with cats though even though I've got the dogs, I think a few may be getting relocated lol

• Like 1

Spar's are just as bad Pete ..... the musket will be killing around 6 small bird's a day to keep the brood fed.

That's a bitch, Millet. But, at least its a more natural bitch. Spar sweeps over that hedge and the slowest bird there cops it. That's Darwin, right there.

These Pine Martens? They've been Reintroduced into a different landscape then they 'knew' before. And they still have full protection.

And, Yes; I'm laying on a banquet by providing artificial nest sites for a bird probably in deeper shit than the Pineys now are.

What's a man to do?

I've always been a big advocate of the piney. I told people how they passed through. Eating what ever they found along the way. Lock up your chickens and all would be well.

But, now? We're getting saturated. The damn things are everywhere. Eating themselves, and us, out of house and home.

Personally? I'd vote for the gloves coming off. At least to allow us to set traps within our compounds. Protect our home buildings.

• Like 2