Making Long Nets

Surprising how it mounts up if you just do a bit when ever you fancy. That was how I started my 50 yarder but then with some time off over Christmas I made some impact on it. So I then got really enthusiastic and committed to doing 2 yards a day. One before leaving for work and one in the evening. Had it finished in no time then but it did become a bit of a chore when I started that approach.

Chuffed when it was done and I hung it in the shed then one night had a panic attack and thought there could be a big fat mouse gnawing his way through it so now its hung in the bed room :)

• Like 2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leeview prefers his own VULCAN needle.     A Vulcan needle filled with twine.         I have been using the lumis type needle for the last 30 odd years I have some that have seen some work

You have not told me if you have made nets, so I will asume that even though you say you know how to make them, you have never actually made some.   Every thing has its own lanuage, and for you to u

Surprising how it mounts up if you just do a bit when ever you fancy. That was how I started my 50 yarder but then with some time off over Christmas I made some impact on it. So I then got really enth

yeh i guess its not as much as it seems, and i bet the satisfaction of catching in your own nets is amazing. So what is the (rough) final cost of all materials and equipment need for making a 50 yarder? bearing in mind im skint and would like to do it as cost effectivley as possible.

ATB

Edited by matt101

haha terry, i bet you would be in tears if mr mouse had chewed the sh*t out of your net! I was angry enough when i found my quick set chewed to bits and that was a shop bought one.

ATB

Edited by matt101

yeh i guess its not as much as it seems, and i bet the satisfaction of catching in your own nets is amazing. So what is the (rough) final cost of all materials and equipment need for making a 50 yarder? bearing in mind im skint and would like to do it as cost effectivley as possible.

ATB

Well going by this

http://www.agouti-nets.co.uk/product/41-500g-green-long-net-twine

bottle green polyester makes approx 45 yards at 14 meshes

so 3 of them @ 9 quid to round it off which gives ample to spare to start the next one £27

a roll of nylon for your top and bottom lines say £10

a roll of purse net twine for your selvedge £10

some postage ball park £10

and cut some hazel for you pegs for free

Then need to sort your end pins £10-15

so £60-70 give or take for a 50 yard rigged net

or maybe cut down and make a nice 25 yarder if funds are tight or what ever length you fancy

Edited by terryd

Ok thanks for you help terry, so as I'm skint would one roll of polyester and a lumis needle get me started? I'm hoping to buy what I need as I go. So for the first stage what else would I require to get me started?

Thanks

Excellent, looks like im going to have a go at making a longnet then. Im going to aim to have it done by next ferreting season and if i get it done before then ill be well pleased. What are peoples thoughts on the lumis needles? worth it or should i stick to a standard one?

ATB

Im not impressed with loomis needles and I have tried them.

Y.I.S Leeview

I was using them......then went back to traditional... :thumbs:

Went off of traditionals too

Y.I.S Leeview

what are you using now? :hmm:

Guest scramble

I like the loomis needles when I'm making a long net, I hate loading up needles when all I want is to stitch, the extra they hold suits me. When I'm making purse nets I use a traditional needle, makes life easier when stitching to the ring.