• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbriar

Blackbriar

THL Political Editor

• Donator
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:58 pm

As a novice shooter, I hope I'm not just being incredibly thick here, but here goes.....

My Stoeger X20S and I have only fired around 150 pellets, but I've noticed that it seems to fire consistently low. They tell me this is called "barrel droop". I have packed the back end of the scope up, and this has helped a bit. As I'm only firing at around 12-15 yards at the moment (beginner remember! ) I'm worried that I'll run out of elevation at longer ranges, as the adjuster is already almost 1/2 way round.

Maybe it's me and not the rifle, but any tips or advice would be massively appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

#2 barrywhite

barrywhite

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:34 pm

try swopping you mounts .front one at back ,back to the front to prove it is not your mounts .

#3 barrywhite

barrywhite

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:36 pm

your scope may have a fault

#4 Blackbriar

Blackbriar

THL Political Editor

• Donator
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:39 pm

Thanks for that, fellas ! If anyone else has any thoughts I'd be glad to try them.

#5 barrywhite

barrywhite

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:41 pm

Barrel drop is when your barrel is bent down from so much use .unless you have bashed your barrel open to hard in 150 shots .is your gun closing shut nice and tight.

#6 barrywhite

barrywhite

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:45 pm

also 12 yards if the pellet is bang on at about 20 yards it will be 1 inch ish high and at 30 yards bang on again 35 yards an inch low ish.

#7 Blackbriar

Blackbriar

THL Political Editor

• Donator
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:13 pm

thanks very much. I'll swap the mounts around tomorrow, but it's a brand new rifle so early days I guess. I'll persevere and bear all your advice in mind. Thanks to all for taking the time to reply !

#8 timmytree

timmytree

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:28 pm

Don't change or swap anything over yet! If you have bad barrel droop you will probably be able to see it by looking at the gun sideways on.

Did you centralise the adjusters when you fitted the scope? that means turning the turrets all the way to one side and then the other and counting the clicks back to the mid way point.

If the elevation turret is halfway at the moment you have plenty of adjustment left.

I don't know what calibre you're using but a .177 with a scope height of 2 inches above the bore line would normally have a primary zero of 15 yards and secondary of 35ish.

So if you're low at 12 yards that may be because the pellet is still rising in relation to your crosshairs.

If you look at your rifle and scope side on you'll get an idea what I'm on about, the pellet leaves the barrel and starts to drop immediately, If you imagine a line through the barrel that curves slowly downwards and another through the scope they will intersect in 2 places, inbetween those 2 places the pellet will be above the line.

Have a look at the Hawke BRC or Chairgun Pro software, it's all free online and will give you all sorts of information.

Good luck!

• higgins, fry, Buster321c and 1 other like this

#9 Buster321c

Buster321c

Mr ZZ Top

• Members
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:50 pm

Wise words Tim . Hope your well buddy ;)

#10 Blackbriar

Blackbriar

THL Political Editor

• Donator
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:18 pm

Thank you Timmytree. That has beautifully explained something I was finding quite technical !!!!   :yahoo:

#11 ghillies

ghillies

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:13 am

your scope is too hi...

dowload chairgun and have a look.  higher and lower the scope height and watch what happens to the tragectory.

if your trying to zero at 12 yard...fffffff it takes umpty sevenclicks to move an inch verses a few at 30 yards. it's an angle, gets bigger the further, or in moving the poi turms it moves less closer..so much so you could actualy colapse the return spring inside the tube squoshing wayyy over to its exstreme.

#12 barrywhite

barrywhite

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:25 am

and horror of horrors stoegers are not always the best built guns I have read only.[even the best build guns can have problems] there may be a build issue but if the gun groups ok that is not to much of a problem .you will just have to get your scope right.

#13 timmytree

timmytree

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:30 am

Wise words Tim . Hope your well buddy ;)

Fine thanks mate, just wishing this weather would go away so I can go and play with the pigeons!

• pianoman likes this

#14 timmytree

timmytree

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:31 am

Thank you Timmytree. That has beautifully explained something I was finding quite technical !!!!   :yahoo:

My pleasure, hope you sort it without any bother, let us know what happens.

#15 Tron

Tron

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:16 am

All the Stoeger Suppressor models  do indeed have considerable barrel droop.so do as Tim advised. if you need to pack the rear mount then I find strips cut from a Coke can are excellent, Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users