How do you keep your dogs energy levels up?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No amount of feeding or fancy drinks or adatives will make up for a lack of fitness and the simple fact is most folks don't excersise their dogs anywhere near enough to replicate a full day in the fe

Ha Ha HA,thats made me chuckle Whirling Derbish,what ever it is ? It may be that dried food thats not helping sending it up ? you`ll know what i mean 26% an all that garble...................Get it on

Paulus,   It does make a difference to the dogs general condition over a period of time when you are working dogs seriously,all the crack on the circuit during the picking up season is "i`ve got mi

Im going to give barf another go i think just for the vizsla and see if it makes a difference to him, i have tried it before but my missus wasnt keen and she did a lot of the feeding at the time so it fell by the way side, i will let you know how he gets on with it. All the best lads for Christmas and the New year

Some good advice on here..

I may be wrong :laugh:

I have read a few different articles and belive they are from a reliable source..

Dogs require higher fat content in there diet for increased energy levels..

Sled dogs are fed high fat diets.. I increased fat in my own dogs diet and found dog to hold more weight when running hard and never noticed massive increase in energy, dogs always gave its best and its getting on a bit so hard to gauge impovements if any.

I dont think adding oil to meal is a bad idea with aiding joints as well as improving coat..

Im going to give barf another go i think just for the vizsla and see if it makes a difference to him, i have tried it before but my missus wasnt keen and she did a lot of the feeding at the time so it fell by the way side, i will let you know how he gets on with it. All the best lads for Christmas and the New year

try geting it from daf pet foods they do loads of differant mixes eg oilly fish with trype, trype and beef , chick and beef or any one on there own, if gonna try get a mixed box 20lb for about £15 and gives you there full range and you can work out what they like best.

i feed oilly fish once a week instead of cod liver oil or flax seed oil

No amount of feeding or fancy drinks or adatives will make up for a lack of fitness and the simple fact is most folks don't excersise their dogs anywhere near enough to replicate a full day in the feild they then wonder why the dog jibs

• Like 2

I've been feeding BARF for about a year and will never change back. My dog has bundles of energy, holds weight well and looks fit and healthy.

During the working day (picking up) I feed a small cheese sandwich after ever 2 drives just to give a little energy boost.

danw,

Spot on also,you`ve basically got to work a dog to fitness,the beauty in having a good sized pack of dogs, is that you can hold certain dogs back when picking up

.For instance my best 2 dogs (labs) walk to heel in certain picking circumstances while the others hoover up,then when I`ve got a runner 4/5/600 + yards they come into their own !.It`s quite important to me that these dogs stay fresh so that they don`t go off the whistle when being handled hundreds of yards back to the fall of a bird,the majority of tired dogs do go off the whistle albeit not completely.

PS, Have a deeks at the pemican bar web site and the stats to back it up,very interesting.I use it alot in spaniels in comps to get that turbo energy boost when quartering,which is what i need,the more insane the better.

K

Edited by camokev64

it makes me laugh to see "peg dogs" being screamed at on a saturday because they wont do as there told -most of them havent been out all week! and the owner expects them to sit still ! --a little incident occured 2 weeks ago on a shoot i was beating at ,an invited gun turned up with a big handsome lab and as quickly as it jumped from his truck it was gived a swift boot! apparently to calm his eagerness down later on a hare was pushed towards the guns and the dog took off after it and after screaming himself into a near heart attack the owner proceeded to punch & stamp on his dog -enough was enough for me lads and i offered him the chance to punch & kick me which he sheepishly turned down i told him he was a disgrace to himself and i never spoke to him again he grassed me up to the keeper but fortunatly for me i have known him for many many years and he told him not to bother asking for an invite again -billy

I`m afraid it`s the norm these days,Awful dog handlers with a dog thats got the embarrassment to have to stand next to them,like i`ve said before a dog to a great degree is a reflection of their owners input !

At least you was allowed to get your steam off,you would probably have to suffer in silence at some more formal shoots,i had a similar thing happen at a formal shoot a number of years ago in front of some so called leading figures who represent our country, i did`nt hang back and they got my notice for good measure.

Funny how they got on the phone pleading with me a few weeks later when all the birds were floating away on the river drives to come back ! no chance you can`t buy me for £50 and good dinner.My dogs come first and foremost !

• Like 1

I`m afraid it`s the norm these days,Awful dog handlers with a dog thats got the embarrassment to have to stand next to them,like i`ve said before a dog to a great degree is a reflection of their owners input !

At least you was allowed to get your steam off,you would probably have to suffer in silence at some more formal shoots,i had a similar thing happen at a formal shoot a number of years ago in front of some so called leading figures who represent our country, i did`nt hang back and they got my notice for good measure.

Funny how they got on the phone pleading with me a few weeks later when all the birds were floating away on the river drives to come back ! no chance you can`t buy me for £50 and good dinner.My dogs come first and foremost !

£50...?? Give them my number... Lol

Well ftm you follow your gut instinct ha ha ha,you`d probably get that dog ready to trial/sit on flush beating dog when it`s 6, ha ha ha.

Dogs have changed so much over the years,Lurchers and Gundogs.I can remember Kit Green in Wigan in the 70`s racing our whippet Greyhounds.Chatting with Plumber in the 80`s about the prominence of the Collie Lurcher,and qualifying for the Lurcher obedience finals in the nineties with my home bred Lurchers and only this year at a game fair in the north of England a tap on the shoulder from Elwyn Evans himself from the Kelpie cross era,not seen for 20 odd years since we used to do battle.All he said was "they ain`t like what we use to run are they" as i peered at the array of bull crosses !.

Even gundogs and how they are in looks and worked today from what was accepted years ago !!!

Throw away society !! keep it BAA HUMBUG !!!!

Edited by camokev64

Ha Lab-Labtastic,

I could write a book.

£50 an good dinner you would`nt !

Was ok when the keepers and the lords son ran the the day,but when the lord Helli-d in,2 pilots at the ready, all hell broke out !

One skirmish i had was when one of the Lords guests shot a fox in a ravine,of course it was bottle of champagne for the good man who shot it. "he did`nt drag it out by the tail to show everybody !

When the drink was flowing between drives i said to my mate and the keeper, I`m off to find that fox in the ravine,got to the fox lying in the ravine grabbed it`s tail to be met by a set of nashers swinging round for an arm to purchase on." i let go !

Well nothing around in the area to dispatch it with, so back to inform the keeper.Keeper informed Lords Son,Lords Son and me back to the Castle to take delivery of semi -auto,back to ravine with a pumped up Lords son ( sorry the pun ) intent on giving the fox the coup de grâce only to pass the gun to me to sort it ! To be honest the Lords son is a good sort,but born into a sea of money,and yearned for a normal life.I genuinely felt sorry for the lad ! and i don`t for many people.

Edited by camokev64

Ha Lab-Labtastic,

I could right a book.

£50 an good dinner you would`nt !

Was ok when the keepers and the lords son ran the the day,but when the lord Helli-d in,2 pilots at the ready, all hell broke out !

One skirmish i had was when one of the Lords guests shot a fox in a ravine,of course it was bottle of champagne for the good man who shot it. "he did`nt drag it out by the tail to show everybody !

When the drink was flowing between drives i said to my mate and the keeper, I`m off to find that fox in the ravine,got to the fox lying in the ravine grabbed it`s tail to be met by a set of nashers swinging round for an arm to purchase on." i let go !

Well nothing around in the area to dispatch it with, so back to inform the keeper.Keeper informed Lords Son,Lords Son and me back to the Castle to take delivery of semi -auto,back to ravine with a pumped up Lords son ( sorry the pun ) intent on giving the fox the coup de grâce only to pass the gun to me to sort it !dTo be honest the Lords son is a good sort,but born into a sea of money,and yearned for a normal life.I genuinely felt sorry for the lad ! and i don`t for many people.

lol...... I have a lab that would have been happy to retrieve that...;-)

No amount of feeding or fancy drinks or adatives will make up for a lack of fitness and the simple fact is most folks don't excersise their dogs anywhere near enough to replicate a full day in the feild they then wonder why the dog jibs

well done conditioning in any animal is most important... whats is happenin to there dogs is lactit acid build up in the mussels and shuting them down. see it a lot on shoots poor little dogs and big fat arse owners