17 hmr zeroing problems

no price has little impact but if yours is say an air rifle scope and is parallaxed at 35 yds like my ags and your shooting out to 100 that aint good.i once put a zeis set at 100 on an air rifle and my groups were all over the shop :laugh: just something to rule out.your scope should say on it if it is fixed parallax.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can still get a tight group in a different position providing you dont move your body (minus your trigger arm when reloading)

well ive got one and mines alright

well thanks for everyones help but it turned out to be the scope i tried zeroing it in on lowest mag and got it set then changed it to full 24x mag and the point of impact changed so i tried it the ot

how consistent do you have to be when mounting rifles? i do a lot of competition shooting with shotguns so sub conciously mount that right everytime but i am new to rifles. i used to do a lot with air rifles and have always been a reasonaby shot but i have just never had any of these problems

Has it a silencer ? Start simple check all your mounts I mean every screw make sure they are tight, I use lock tight on mine clean the silencer well, make sure that goes on tight, make sure the stock screws are tight and you can pass a piece of paper between the stock and The barrel ,set the parralax at infinity it's like a figure 8 on its side on the objective lense end. Of the scope the other thing are you letting you gun cool properly after setting up that could cause it, always set your rifle up on a clean cold barrel what I am saying is after zeroing the rifle let it cool right down, and fine tune it one bullet at a time giving the gun time cool between each round, one other thing when you put the scope caps on make sure you don't over tighten them, some scopes don't have enough Clearence between the adjuster and cap when you replace the cap you can undo what you have done. Good luck mate it will be something simple ATB Darren

Every time the same, including elbow positions the same in prone. Slipping elbow or different position each time can cause a lateral spread, but from what you are saying you are still getting a tight group.

Has it a silencer ? Start simple check all your mounts I mean every screw make sure they are tight, I use lock tight on mine clean the silencer well, make sure that goes on tight, make sure the stock screws are tight and you can pass a piece of paper between the stock and The barrel ,set the parralax at infinity it's like a figure 8 on its side on the objective lense end. Of the scope the other thing are you letting you gun cool properly after setting up that could cause it, always set your rifle up on a clean cold barrel what I am saying is after zeroing the rifle let it cool right down, and fine tune it one bullet at a time giving the gun time cool between each round, one other thing when you put the scope caps on make sure you don't over tighten them, some scopes don't have enough Clearence between the adjuster and cap when you replace the cap you can undo what you have done. Good luck mate it will be something simple ATB Darren

why set the parallax at infinity? that kind of defeats the point in having it.

Every time the same, including elbow positions the same in prone. Slipping elbow or different position each time can cause a lateral spread, but from what you are saying you are still getting a tight group.

You can still get a tight group in a different position providing you dont move your body (minus your trigger arm when reloading)

• Like 1

Greg that's why I said a different position each time would cause a lateral spread, not a different position per say.

Sorry i must have missread it then! Cheek position may move it abit although 3/4" maybe a stretch