sparrow hawk

Cheeers for the reply mick :thumbs:

Don't know why but HH just don't float my boat.Is there another first timer bird?

you really shouldnt be looking for a bird for a first timer you should be looking for a bird your gunna be happy with for years hh people get them and then move them on because they then think they know it all as above look at the land and quarry you have available and find what bird will be suited to you

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i havent flown one for over 20 years ive taken teal,pheasant poults,woodies,magies,partridge,moorhen athough you have to get in there quick as there leathel when there on their backs with them feet,

you better be good at imping

Got to agree I just don't know why you'd want to hunt blackbirds   Now if your talking a nice partridge then I can totally see where your at, IMO it's either got to end up on my plate surrounded by

Posted Images

Cheeers for the reply mick :thumbs:

Don't know why but HH just don't float my boat.Is there another first timer bird?

there's nothing wrong with the harris hawk mate, ive flown them and defo will have another, some folk out there cant even fly harris hawks without killing them,let alone a gos or spar, do your home work and get a good mentor,

atb bullet

Yes some good advice there chaps,but telling him to catch blackbirds???? how very f-----g responsible,unbelievable,bet the antis love reading this site,its advice like that that will get falconry banned,I despair :wallbash:

you can apply for a liscence to take them whats wrong with that very hard to catch but great flights all legit

you can apply for a licence to take them whats wrong with that very hard to catch but great flights all legit

:clapper::clapper: same for the lads taking larks Merlin hawking. Its also surpriseing how difficult it is to catch a cunning yellow billed cock with a trainned spar without some beating assitance.

a quarry licence are usually granted no problem, certainly wouldn't be that many taken through out the season.

you can apply for a licence to take them whats wrong with that very hard to catch but great flights all legit

:clapper::clapper: same for the lads taking larks Merlin hawking. Its also surpriseing how difficult it is to catch a cunning yellow billed cock with a trainned spar without some beating assitance.

a quarry licence are usually granted no problem, certainly wouldn't be that many taken through out the season.

hi jasp my mates imprinting a merlin he bread this year so ill be out on the larks this year hopefully goodluck for the seasn :thumbs:

hi jasp my mates imprinting a merlin he bread this year so ill be out on the larks this year hopefully goodluck for the seasn :thumbs:

spot on mick! you'll have some excellent sport mate :notworthy:. a guy down here had a cracking female which just got better and better every year! if you read some of the old books they always mention that Larks are only good for the first year and and lack lustre from the second year on! this is cobblers mate. she was perfect in the end standing off the larks until they finally dropped for cover, seen her so high on occasions you couldn't see the lark! she was litteraly just a little cross in the sky and often took the larks just feet from the ground, unfortunately she died from egg peritonitus in the aviary :cry:.

the same guy bred four this year and left them with a new female who sadly killed and ate the youngsters. I used to do the hatching a rearing on for this guy when Merlins was fetching £450 and £350! looks like I may be doing it again for him somtime in the future :thumbs:

quite fancied imprinting a Merlin and knocking out some perlins.

Jasp

spot on mick! you'll have some excellent sport mate :notworthy:. a guy down here had a cracking female which just got better and better every year! if you read some of the old books they always mention that Larks are only good for the first year and and lack lustre from the second year on! this is cobblers mate. she was perfect in the end standing off the larks until they finally dropped for cover, seen her so high on occasions you couldn't see the lark! she was litteraly just a little cross in the sky and often took the larks just feet from the ground, unfortunately she died from egg peritonitus in the aviary :cry:.

the same guy bred four this year and left them with a new female who sadly killed and ate the youngsters. I used to do the hatching a rearing on for this guy when Merlins was fetching £450 and £350! looks like I may be doing it again for him somtime in the future :thumbs:

quite fancied imprinting a Merlin and knocking out some perlins.

Jasp

i think thats my friends idea to produce a perlin there fetching around 850 now i think his pair had 8 young this will be my first time watching one cant wait for the season to start :thumbs:

Yes some good advice there chaps,but telling him to catch blackbirds???? how very f-----g responsible,unbelievable,bet the antis love reading this site,its advice like that that will get falconry banned,I despair :wallbash:

you can apply for a liscence to take them whats wrong with that very hard to catch but great flights all legit

Ok I stand corrected,but having never had any interest in catching blackbirds I would not know although I did know you could catch larks under license,I just think legal or not its bad press for our sport,its easy to justify catching pest species,but blackbirds just for sport?? just my opinion,I think it puts us in a bad light. :thumbdown:

Ok I stand corrected,but having never had any interest in catching blackbirds I would not know although I did know you could catch larks under license,I just think legal or not its bad press for our sport,its easy to justify catching pest species,but blackbirds just for sport?? just my opinion,I think it puts us in a bad light. :thumbdown:

blackbirds are the ultimate quarry for spars the flights are something else i dont think [NO TEXT TALK] would catch more than 5 in a season its not all about the kill for me its the flight they are unreal spiraling round trees bursting out the top of them blacbirds can turn on a penny if you see the flights yourself i think youd change your mind bad press or not

blackbirds are the ultimate quarry for spars the flights are something else i dont think [NO TEXT TALK] would catch more than 5 in a season its not all about the kill for me its the flight they are unreal spiraling round trees bursting out the top of them blacbirds can turn on a penny if you see the flights yourself i think youd change your mind bad press or not

genuine question what experience do you have with spars if any what would you say was there ultimate quarry looking forward to your reply :thumbs:

Got to agree I just don't know why you'd want to hunt blackbirds :icon_eek:

Now if your talking a nice partridge then I can totally see where your at, IMO it's either got to end up on my plate surrounded by vegetables or be vermin :thumbs:

• Like 1

Got to agree I just don't know why you'd want to hunt blackbirds :icon_eek:

Now if your talking a nice partridge then I can totally see where your at, IMO it's either got to end up on my plate surrounded by vegetables or be vermin :thumbs:

i never said just blackbirds but they push a spar to the limit read above you wont take more than five in a season nice mixed bag with other quarry

Ok mick an honest reply I have never owned a spar myself,however I used to go out with an old boy years ago who flew nothing but spars,he was flying em when you had to apply for a permit to take a brancher from the wild,I saw his birds on magpies, pigeons, partridges,and jays, but never a blackbird in sight or at least I never saw them catch any,im with the seeker on this one if it aint vermin or smells good on my plate then why the hell hunt it? doing so legaly or not only brings the sport into disrepute and thats my point,after all you would not drop a roe buck at 200 yds and then leave it to rot saying that was a damn good shot would you just becouse it may be fun to hunt something does not make it right , but ultimately thats what separates a real hunter from the rest in my opinion, I rest my case :cry: