..22 lr with or without moderator ?

Hi all :D

I was just wondering if the muzzle report from an unmoderated .22 LR rifle ( using subsonic ammo ) is as loud as a moderated .17 HMR

I've never fired my .22 CZ varmint without it's moderator and never fired a .17 HMR at all.

The reason I'm asking is that i personally feel my rifle looks far better without a silencer fitted . I've also heard that even the loud crack from a moderated .17 HMR does not spook the rabbits when others are being shot at ,

Many thanks ,

John :unsure:

Edited by mjr88

yes mate about the same.

the moderator is a usefull tool when noise is an issue(near houses etc) but not vital(in germany there are no moderators on any rifles).

the way your rifle looks is not as important as how it shoots :thumbs:

waidmann

I was out shooting a little while ago on a farmers land,with the farmer,and using his Anschutz .22lr without a moderator and i had 42 rabbits in an hour,the noise didn't seem to spook the rabbits at all.

Alan

I suspect it will next time once they realise 42 of their family and friends didn't come home!

I was just wondering if the muzzle report from an unmoderated .22 LR rifle ( using subsonic ammo ) is as loud as a moderated .17 HMR

I've never fired my .22 CZ varmint without it's moderator and never fired a .17 HMR at all.

The reason I'm asking is that i personally feel my rifle looks far better without a silencer fitted . I've also heard that even the loud crack from a moderated .17 HMR does not spook the rabbits when others are being shot at ,

Many thanks ,

You cannot generalise that way, on some sites a breaking twig clears a field, and rabbits learn anyway!!

Many thanks ,

You cannot generalise that way, on some sites a breaking twig clears a field, and rabbits learn anyway!!

Agree 100% with that,i've just got in from a little outing to one of my favourite shoots,and just climbing over the gate (which creaks a little) put down about 5 rabbits,had to wait nearly an hour before one decided to show,needless to say,he didn't make it back!!

Alan

Many thanks ,

OK:

An unmoderated .22 with subsonic ammo is nowhere near as loud as a 17hmr in anyway shape or form.

BUT as the others have stated the noise is not really an issue to the Rabbits, I once shot 47 Rabbits in

just over an hour stood in plain sight at 50 yards range using HV .22's, they really didn't seem to be bothered

by my rifle's 'crack' again and again.

However I use my moderated .22 all the time as the local HUMANS can't hear me, and that's the point, these days (sadly)

the country is full of 'a place in the country' Townies, and they don't get it at all when someone with a rifle

appears in the field at the back of their house, so I try to ensure they have no idea I have been around.

Silence is GOLDEN!

AndyF

Many thanks ,

OK:

An unmoderated .22 with subsonic ammo is nowhere near as loud as a 17hmr in anyway shape or form.

BUT as the others have stated the noise is not really an issue to the Rabbits, I once shot 47 Rabbits in

just over an hour stood in plain sight at 50 yards range using HV .22's, they really didn't seem to be bothered

by my rifle's 'crack' again and again.

However I use my moderated .22 all the time as the local HUMANS can't hear me, and that's the point, these days (sadly)

the country is full of 'a place in the country' Townies, and they don't get it at all when someone with a rifle

appears in the field at the back of their house, so I try to ensure they have no idea I have been around.

Silence is GOLDEN!

AndyF

Good point the lest they know the better it will be for you.

Shootingcharley.

• 4 weeks later...

I love your 'Place in the country' comment,

My new neighbours bought a house that featured on this program and when I first met them I had been shooting rats in the snow and had my air rifle under arm.....you should have seen her face!

Dont know which shocked her the most, the rifle or the fact rats live in the countryside.......

Was very funny.....they are now good friends/neighbours, no longer shocked to see people with rifles or shot guns and she no longer likes the crows in her trees.........

Edited by cbw

If I could pick your brains about the noise issue , are we saying that the quietest to shoot is a .22RF with a moderator and subsonic ammo , cheers guys . :thumbs:

Micky,a modded 22lr will be as quiet as your air rifle mate(inc FAC air rifle} the only noise you get is the thwack of bullet on impact.

If anything I'd say my LR is quieter than my FAC Air but like said above it does depend on the shoot. I was using the FAC Air on some pastures last week and able to shoot one rabbit without spooking the others, last Sunday with the LR a group of rabbits 150yards off to my right would all run back in when I was shooting away from them (they didn't take long to come back out though so going back tonight with the FAC Air to have a pop at them).