Gundogs and Lurchers

I try to work my dogs seperate as much as i can, Shooting over the Lab and day time hunting and Lamping with the Lurcher and terrier, this is essential while training a young gundog but after the basics are drummed in i love to get them all out together for a spot of bushing.

A few pics from the week end.

jan010.jpg

jan011.jpg

jan012.jpg

jan014.jpg

jan024.jpg

jan026.jpg

jan027.jpg

jan1001.jpg

jan029.jpg

The down side of different dogs trying to retrieve

jan003.jpg

jan009.jpg

I know allot are against using there Gundogs for anything other than Shooting / trailing and thats understandable as they dont want all the hard work of training spoilt with bad habits.

But i need all my dogs to be very versatile on game and vermin, and anyway bushing is excellent sport.

So dose anyone else use Gundogs to flush game to Lurchers.

Dave.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dave I am off out with my bitch on thurs, bushing and mooching with 2 lurchers and 3 terriers. You can't beat a good day out mooching and seeing whats about.   I like the look of your lurcher, whats

alright mate,got 2 cockers that i use with lurchurs and for beating and picking up etc.love geing them out together when i can but hunting with lurchers in the day isnt really my game.more into lampin

Hunting them all together is a fun way of bushing but you never get big numbers, they do all find there place/job in the pack and it seems to all work out. The GWP will point if no other dogs about bu

Posted Images

Dave I am off out with my bitch on thurs, bushing and mooching with 2 lurchers and 3 terriers. You can't beat a good day out mooching and seeing whats about.

I like the look of your lurcher, whats in its makeup?? and the cocker X terrier how is that getting on, like the look of it?? Does it give tongue and whats its good points and bad points.

• Like 1

I try to work my dogs seperate as much as i can, Shooting over the Lab and day time hunting and Lamping with the Lurcher and terrier, this is essential while training a young gundog but after the basics are drummed in i love to get them all out together for a spot of bushing.

A few pics from the week end.

jan010.jpg

jan011.jpg

jan012.jpg

jan014.jpg

jan024.jpg

jan026.jpg

jan027.jpg

jan1001.jpg

jan029.jpg

The down side of different dogs trying to retrieve

jan003.jpg

jan009.jpg

I know allot are against using there Gundogs for anything other than Shooting / trailing and thats understandable as they dont want all the hard work of training spoilt with bad habits.

But i need all my dogs to be very versatile on game and vermin, and anyway bushing is excellent sport.

So dose anyone else use Gundogs to flush game to Lurchers.

Dave.

Excellent pics Dave. It looks like you had a good day out. If I had a lurcher ( I also like the looks of yours) I'd be doing the same! Versatile is the name of the game.thumbs.gif

Take care.

alright mate,got 2 cockers that i use with lurchurs and for beating and picking up etc.love geing them out together when i can but hunting with lurchers in the day isnt really my game.more into lamping but like i said when i have a spare hour or 2 ill be out.heres a pic last week in the snow.atvb

post-32601-126385428234_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking Dogs al, and thanks for the replies Micky and Ricky.

The Lurcher is Saluki/Greyhound X Collie/Greyhound and a good all round Lurcher with stamina, good feet and allot of speed.

The Cocker X went to one of the lads i shoot with when i got the lab pup as he was desperate for a half trained rough shooting dog and really liked her. I had only had her 6 months myself and i didnt want him to get any rubbish so it worked out well and i still get to shoot over her every week.

xmas015.jpg

Was out yesterday with Pointer off this site, his GWP, Lurcher and Terrier and my 3, we never got a thing but the sport was excellent.

Its not about the numbers, but the most fun you can have with a pack a dogs.

Dave.

hi, i use spaniels to flush for my hawk but love a good days ferreting and last year got me a lurcher bitch pup, took her out the other week for her first days ferreting and she behaved well,i have always been around lurchers since childhood and always said i'd have one in my kennels.

here's "jil" grey/wheaton x bull/grey/whippet and "pepsi" home breed sprocker bitch chilling (after a good mark from the sprocker) whilst we net up.

pepsandjillferreting.jpg

and the rest of the pack :o)

mypack.jpg

jason

Jason looks like a great lil' pack, like the look of the cocker looks a very nice stamp mate :thumbs:

Keep getting on your good days out Dave it sounds like you have some terrific sport & you love the mooch, get some more images up aswell :clapper: Always like your threads pal.

[/quote

hi lads my first time to post on here i have a lurcher bitch that i lamp with,i dont have alot knowledge on hunting but am mad to laearn and get started,what way would i go about training a dog to flush out rabbits for my lurchers from the ditches and whats the best breed for it,any info appreciated cheers

anybody

My advice get a well bred springer of working stock train it to a good level of obedieance mostly recall take it were theirs cover and rabbits and 9 times out of ten they will work like a duck takes to water after a few goes they are that easy to get working.atb dell

Nice looking dogs Jayhawk how do you find the Vizsla, i have always liked them, how is she for hunting cover.

Paddyeuro, It wont take long before the lurcher begins to know where the bunny will bolt and you will get some excellent sport.

You could use either a Terrier or a spaniel for the job although i would say a cocker or springer are more versatile than a terrier because you could also shoot over the dog as well. Other breeds can also be used, i have used a GWP and currently have a small lab bitch in my pack.

Dave.

Edited by Dave C

as stated get a good spaniel, english springer or cocker from good lines.

Dave, the Viz is a young bitch that i intend training this summer shes around the 9 mnths mark now and will sit stay etc but the real work will start when the season finishes, regarding the cover the only experience i have is that whilst out walking the dogs the spaniels are hell for leather through the thickest of stuff but she tends to pick and choose definatley not as keen as a good springer, but im not worried as i want her for pointing for the hawk (she is showing a good nose) i have my spaniels for the trash:0)

jay

You are dead right Jay and also right leaving her training until the season has finished when you have more time and light nights.

Good look with her training mate she looks a cracker.

Some pics off the week end.

IMG00004-20100130-1408.jpg

Spot the GWP on point

IMG00008-20100130-1413.jpg

IMG00015-20100130-1432.jpg

My lab getting into cover

IMG00010-20100130-1420.jpg

IMG00005-20100130-1412.jpg

IMG00002-20100130-1407.jpg

IMG00003-20100130-1407.jpg

IMG00017-20100130-1442.jpg

Not much about as the whole area has been under water most of the winter, but a nice walk out just the same.

Cheers

Dave.

Excellent topic and have really enjoyed the pictures :clapper:

Question: With so many dogs running about all hunting with different "styles" (i.e. flushing, pointing, coursing), how do you ensure they don't get in the way of one another?? I'm specifically thinking about the pointing dogs: how do you ensure the pointing dog gets enough room to hold its point before another dog runs in under its nose to flush its game??(....would kill many hours of steadyness training if this were to happen too often.)

Great looking packs :victory:

Edited by Bigshrimp