blood in puppies poop

Guest BLUE BULL

this morning i got up to find my boxer pup had the squits and it had a fair amount of what looks like watery blood around the edge of it, My vets is closed today, so i dont know what to do, any advice is welcome and thanks in advance.

(EDIT)

I have spoken to a pal who works in a kennels, He reckons its most likely corronavirus which is prevelent in puppies and recommends i starve her for 24hrs then feed her plain boiled rice until its cleared, she dosnt seem in any discomfort and is still bouncing round like a complete loon. what do you guys think? i wish the vets was open

Edited by BLUE BULL

Guest ferreting king

it could be colitus. collaps of the anal wall

colitus is inflamation of the colon, have a look at your dogs arse to see if it is raw red and next time that he has a shit have a look to see if he seems constipated if so then it would proberly be colitus

Guest BLUE BULL

I managed to get her an emergency appointment, The vet ruled out parvo straight away, just by looking at her and her stool, she dosnt look ill. He has taken blood and kept her stool for analysis and will let me know as soon as he gets the results. He did say it could be any number of things from diet to disease. Thanks for you advice chaps, i guess i will just wait for the call now.

Ive just checked the dogs backside its not inflammed or red at all?

feaces is an orangie brown colour that has a very pungent smell also she has been "toilet" a few times since this morning and none have been runny although they are a bit loose, or had any blood?

Edited by BLUE BULL

How old is your pup and have you changed its diet of late?

When my dog was a pup its digestive system was rather 'delicate', she was always in good health, full of energy etc but had to have a very consistent diet. For example if it had a few licks of cows milk or a few scraps of bread crusts or any new type of food....disaster!!! :blink: Blood stained diarrhoea with the pup larking through it! I had to make sure no one slipped her any tit-bits as well. She settled down at about a year but even now I would still be careful. My other dog is a complete iron guts.

Hope your dog is ok, let us know how it is doing.

How old is your pup and have you changed its diet of late?

When my dog was a pup its digestive system was rather 'delicate', she was always in good health, full of energy etc but had to have a very consistent diet. For example if it had a few licks of cows milk or a few scraps of bread crusts or any new type of food....disaster!!! :blink: Blood stained diarrhoea with the pup larking through it! I had to make sure no one slipped her any tit-bits as well. She settled down at about a year but even now I would still be careful. My other dog is a complete iron guts.

Hope your dog is ok, let us know how it is doing.

nothin like giving the guy a heart attack , colitis and parvo :icon_eek: you just came up with 2 of the worst things out of 100 things that could have caused blood in the dogs shit

MY THOUTS EXACTLYMATE :laugh::laugh:

I managed to get her an emergency appointment, The vet ruled out parvo straight away, just by looking at her and her stool, she dosnt look ill. He has taken blood and kept her stool for analysis and will let me know as soon as he gets the results. He did say it could be any number of things from diet to disease. Thanks for you advice chaps, i guess i will just wait for the call now.

Ive just checked the dogs backside its not inflammed or red at all?

feaces is an orangie brown colour that has a very pungent smell also she has been "toilet" a few times since this morning and none have been runny although they are a bit loose, or had any blood?

Do you think the pup could have eaten something it shouldnt ? i am not sure if this is correct but i either read or was told donkeys yrs ago meat eaters will have a small amout of blood in there poo , apparently its cause we eat meat, as i say i may be wrong but hope the pup is ok anyway

Guest BLUE BULL

Vets called this morning, Theres no sign of any infection at all, so he suggests starving for 24hrs with plenty of water to clear her through, I changed her diet about six weeks ago when i got her she was being feed pedigree chum complete and changed to science plan slowly over 2 weeks, could this cause it? The vet thinks this is most likely caused by her eating something shes found somewhere.

Thanks for yor replys.

Edited by BLUE BULL

Do you think the pup could have eaten something it shouldnt ? i am not sure if this is correct but i either read or was told donkeys yrs ago meat eaters will have a small amout of blood in there poo , apparently its cause we eat meat, as i say i may be wrong but hope the pup is ok anyway

any blood that is eaten will pass through the stomach be digested and not show in the faeces. if fresh blood is present, often mixed with mucus, then it will usually have come from lower down the intestinal track, usually from the colon, and be caused by inflammation 2nd to viral/bacterial infection. most such infections are short lived but if the blood is combined with diarrhoea then puppies,and adults if its prolonged, are a risk from dehydration as water is absorbed by the colon leaving a reasonably formed stool so if it is passing straight through resulting in loose stool then it is not being absorbed so dehydration is sure.

nothin like giving the guy a heart attack , colitis and parvo :icon_eek: you just came up with 2 of the worst things out of 100 things that could have caused blood in the dogs shit

Better to expect the worse and except anything else as a warning ,but then you knew that I suppose .Dont see you giving advice other than taking the piss . :(

Guest BLUE BULL

Better be told the worst case scenario, and be advised she see a vet. Better safe than sorry, eh? :yes: She still isnt right though im taking her to my own vets in morning. She is eating loads again and her stools are normalish apart from the blood which seems to be getting less everyday,

Edited by BLUE BULL
Guest Ditch_Shitter
i either read or was told donkeys yrs ago meat eaters

Some donkeys still are! Believe me! :icon_eek:

Blue Bull; Glad the pup seems ok, mate. Personally, I'd get it off Any of those 'Complete Diet' things and feed it something more natural. Plenty of advice and discussion on here alone to inspire you ..... ;)