Black Bear

Froese, well done on getting in there close and doing the job with one arrow.

Bear meat is edible, but i must say i wouldnt fancy it myself. :blink:

Please continue to post here as i do love to here stories from overseas, especially with regards the bow hunting side of things.....

Was he baited in with a barrel? and i take it you were in a tree stand...?

What broadhead did you use, i would have thought on a 55lb bow pull a nice sharp Thunderhead would do the job with ease.....

Anyway, keep posting and please let us see a photo of the hide. You got yourself a fine trophy there for a young man.

All the best JD ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Froese, well done on getting in there close and doing the job with one arrow.

Bear meat is edible, but i must say i wouldnt fancy it myself. :blink:

Please continue to post here as i do love to here stories from overseas, especially with regards the bow hunting side of things.....

Was he baited in with a barrel? and i take it you were in a tree stand...?

What broadhead did you use, i would have thought on a 55lb bow pull a nice sharp Thunderhead would do the job with ease.....

Anyway, keep posting and please let us see a photo of the hide. You got yourself a fine trophy there for a young man.

All the best JD ;)

Yes he was baited with a barrel that is filled with oats. However the day of the hunt we would throw a bucket of bread, jello, and grease on it. heres a picture of it.

4531_1121079344507_1152755239_30382884_1589270_n.jpg

I was going to use Rage expandables but our guide has banned expandables due to too many lost bears because of broadhead malfunctions. So I just used my three blade muzzys.

4531_1121078424484_1152755239_30382883_5794504_n.jpg

Unfortunately the fur is already at the taxidermist so i will have to put up a picture in september or whenever it arrives.

Brilliant. Yes, i would never recommend expandables. In fact, i disagree with their useage. For me it must be a fixed blade as there are too many variables with the expandables. I think with that bow (55lb) it would be silly to shoot any big game, save for Turkey, with them.

You can't go wrong with the good ol' Muzzy,

"Bad to the Bone" i remember their slogan was!!

Top marks for your guide too for having the sense to make sure the broadheads are suitable, its so very refreshing to hear of a man that cares about the shot.

Thanks for sharing....JD

nice one mate I might have ago of that when I'm 16 be a good laugh if you never killed it did you have a backup plan

run like hell i would imagine!! :whistling:

i would of thought the guide would be armed with a fireman

nice one mate I might have ago of that when I'm 16 be a good laugh if you never killed it did you have a backup plan

run like hell i would imagine!! :whistling:

i would of thought the guide would be armed with a fireman

The guide does bring a shotgun along shooting buckshot if the bear doesnt die within sight, but as we saw where he died he didnt bring anything.

bring a good solid bullx!

Have you got some mental disability ferret feller, whats the score with peoples obsession with bring a bull x, slip a bull x. bollocks....

What has this section got to do with lurchers or bull x's ...

Good hunt froese...

Well done, very interesting. Is ther a limit on how many bears each hunter can take?

In some places you have to buy a "tag" from the dept fish and wildlife. These can be in rotation. but with Black bear being so numerous i think you can apply for as many tags (within reason) as you wish. the seasons in USA can be short too. I think when you go with an outfitter they try and help you get two bears, but i could be wrong.

The limit for Black bear per year (includes spring and fall seasons) is one. Residents buy the tags for 30 dollars. For nonresidents the cost is 300 dollars and you must go with a licensed guide. I was in a treestand when i shot that bear and the guide was about 10 miles away. My maximum killing range was 20 yards only because i wasnt confident in my ability to shoot a bears lungs much farther than that. The bow i was using would likely kill from 70+ yards, but its not really practical to be deadly accurate at that range. All of hunting in Canada uses tags which are bought from the provincial governments. For more rare game (such as moose in some areas) tags are drawn in a lottery. ;)

mate what do you do with the bear once you've killed it? can you eat them?

The meat is edible but not very tasty or tender so we passed on that. So we are getting a rug from the hide.

Can it be fed to the dogs? am just interested because obviously we don't have black bears here!

Yes it can be fed to dogs but as I don't know anyone with a dog that big we didn't use it. It can be given to humans you just have to cook it a long time.

What? not tasty or tender? :blink: neither is a cow if you butcher it wrong. It's a cry'in shame to waste all that good meat :( . Do you know that the bear was niether tasty or tender because you tried it?, or cause you heard so from some other ignorant hunter. If it had been eating garbage exclusivly then that would make it taste awfull, and if it was not dispached quickly that could make it tough, but otherwise all the bear I've ever had was awsome. I shot a small black bear last fall and am sorry that it has almost all been eaten, better than most of the venison I have, and this spring I got a monster (dressed out to 250lbs) :clapper: . The T-bones off it are fabulous. I do em up medium rare, wonderful. And even if it was tough, you can always make a great sasage or peperonii with it. Black bears, any bears for that matter aren't pests, I'm sure that you got pretty far out in the bush to hunt that bear, usually if there is a nuissance bear they give it a 3 strikes your out type policy, first trying to relocate them, and destroying them as a last resort. I live in a pretty densly populated area but it is close to the mountains and there is a resident bear in the neighborhood that mostly gets along. We crossed paths the other night but other than that I just see scat piles here and there sometimes, a yearling cub likley. It's awful that you don't have bears in the UK anymore, they are more herbivores than anything, I don't know, sorry if I come off a little agressive, I'm stoked you got a bear, and even more that it was with your bow, thats a trophy in it's own right, but if you ever get a chance again give the meat a try , I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Here are two I got

http://www.(!64.56:886/friends/?id=754520...mp;id=754520633

I saw scat piles from this one for 2 days before I spotted it, it had been eating rose hips from what I could tell and pretty much nothing else, Usually the meat doesn't make it off the BarBQ cause we're eating it as fast as we cook it

115 lbs of meat, works out to $2.50/lb. Can't beat that. :clapper:

mate what do you do with the bear once you've killed it? can you eat them?

The meat is edible but not very tasty or tender so we passed on that. So we are getting a rug from the hide.

Can it be fed to the dogs? am just interested because obviously we don't have black bears here!

Yes it can be fed to dogs but as I don't know anyone with a dog that big we didn't use it. It can be given to humans you just have to cook it a long time.

What? not tasty or tender? :blink: neither is a cow if you butcher it wrong. It's a cry'in shame to waste all that good meat :( . Do you know that the bear was niether tasty or tender because you tried it?, or cause you heard so from some other ignorant hunter. If it had been eating garbage exclusivly then that would make it taste awfull, and if it was not dispached quickly that could make it tough, but otherwise all the bear I've ever had was awsome. I shot a small black bear last fall and am sorry that it has almost all been eaten, better than most of the venison I have, and this spring I got a monster (dressed out to 250lbs) :clapper: . The T-bones off it are fabulous. I do em up medium rare, wonderful. And even if it was tough, you can always make a great sasage or peperonii with it. Black bears, any bears for that matter aren't pests, I'm sure that you got pretty far out in the bush to hunt that bear, usually if there is a nuissance bear they give it a 3 strikes your out type policy, first trying to relocate them, and destroying them as a last resort. I live in a pretty densly populated area but it is close to the mountains and there is a resident bear in the neighborhood that mostly gets along. We crossed paths the other night but other than that I just see scat piles here and there sometimes, a yearling cub likley. It's awful that you don't have bears in the UK anymore, they are more herbivores than anything, I don't know, sorry if I come off a little agressive, I'm stoked you got a bear, and even more that it was with your bow, thats a trophy in it's own right, but if you ever get a chance again give the meat a try , I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Here are two I got

I saw scat piles from this one for 2 days before I spotted it, it had been eating rose hips from what I could tell and pretty much nothing else, Usually the meat doesn't make it off the BarBQ cause we're eating it as fast as we cook it

115 lbs of meat, works out to $2.50/lb. Can't beat that. :clapper:

looking back i do regret the choice to not get the meat, and if i ever go bear hunting again i probably will, but im thinking that was a one time deal so ill stick with the deer hunting.