Black Bear

For my 15th birthday I went bear hunting all of last week with my father in eastern manitoba. Saw a few bears on wednesday, a wolf and 2 fishers (like big mink) on thursday and finally on friday had this bear come in at 17 yards. Double lung shot with a 55 pound bow, he ran 15 yards then collapsed.

n1152755239_30380682_6632496.jpg

The arrow completely passed through the bear, deflected off a tree and landed in this puddle.

n1152755239_30380688_5686329.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate what do you do with the bear once you've killed it? can you eat them?

The meat is edible but not very tasty or tender so we passed on that. So we are getting a rug from the hide.

Can it be fed to the dogs? am just interested because obviously we don't have black bears here!

mate what do you do with the bear once you've killed it? can you eat them?

The meat is edible but not very tasty or tender so we passed on that. So we are getting a rug from the hide.

Can it be fed to the dogs? am just interested because obviously we don't have black bears here!

Yes it can be fed to dogs but as I don't know anyone with a dog that big we didn't use it. It can be given to humans you just have to cook it a long time.

Seems like a waste of Meat to me, are they a pest over there?

Butch

Yes often bears have to be killed near campgrounds and cities. Yes i do regret not being able to eat the meat but im thinking this will be a once in lifetime thing for me. And besides deer hunting is really my thing