177 for rabbits

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I use both, not bothered which, more down to whatever rifle I have with me. The only thing that is the same with any of my rifles is me and my intention every time I go out, which is, if I shoot it, the quarry dies :)

just remember if you spend between 500 and £1000 on gun scope and charging bottle you want something that is versatile and can do the job at all ranges and for all the quarry you come across they arent always at the range you zeroed your sights at . ..if you see a pigeon,magpie or anything with a small kill zone side on if you shoot at biggest part you will more than likely hit the wing and wound it which is not good so again the head shot is best .this piece of kit isnt just for rabbits .shooting is about being cofident with your kit and not taking pot shots at areas of the body which could miss a vital organ unless theres a new scope out that can see through the fur / feathers of your quarry ..177 + headshot rules in my eyes unless theyve got a helmet on

177 feathers or .22 fur that saying has been around since the only guns around were springers with block sights .if its corect does it really meen you shouldnt shoot a rabbit with a .177 . with the quality of guns these days either are good enough to kill fur or feather with both calibres , both will kill its the hunter on the end of it that is going to hopefully make the right responsible decision to pull or not pull the trigger with the weapon he or she is happy using to dispach there quarry in the most humane way possible ..22 or 177 head or body you make the choice ..results speak louder than words and i go with my s410 .177 everytime ,so i sold my .22 s410 as it never moved out the cupboard ..

The main problem with .177 is most of the pellets are too light. They may fly very fast but they also slow down fast, they have a crap ballistic performance. I think that's why folks go on about the better 'shock' value of .22.

I started shooting with .22 in my early teens and very quickly found that much past 25-30 yards was pointless. Targets hit. Targets buggered off.....

I changed to .177 about ten years ago and with the right pellet (For my gun, Baracudas, Bisley Mags. Same thing...) what I hit tended to stay hit.

That said, I changed to .20 a while back and I'm well pleased with the results so far. I don't see it as a compromise caliber at all, it's just different to the other two. Same as anything, don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

Cheers.

Guest Scuba1

Is there that much in it ????? I think not. Lets work it out.

Lets say that both guns are running at 11.50 ft/lbs and our kill zone is one inch.

Using a 8.5 grain pellet in the .177 and a 15 grainer in the .22 Please don't go raving on about " yeah but I use 15.2 grain etc as this is only an example.

Zero for the .22 is at 10 and 30 yards with .5" under at 8 yards .5"over at 20 yards and .5"under at 38 yards again.

Zero for the .177 is at 10 and 35 yards with .5" under at 10 yards .5" over at 25 yards and .5" under at 39 yards.

So we have stretched the mid zero range by 5 yards and the long range by one whole yard.

I don't think I'll bother reading another thread where the .22 versus .177 horse is being beaten to death.

Right lets get back to some important stuff ........ domed or pointed????

ATB

Michael

Edited by Scuba1

I don't think I'll bother reading another thread where the .22 versus .177 horse is being beaten to death.

Right lets get back to some important stuff ........ domed or pointed????

ATB

Michael,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :clapper::clapper::clapper:

the 2 main air rifles i used are my daystate and theoben with are both .20cal and they both do the job for me when i use them . but then again if i took a .177 or .22 that would do the job aswell all calibers have drawbacks and limits wheather its a airgun or centerfire thats why we practice and get to know the limits off are guns . but i carnt see how .20cal has the worst off both at all as stated all calibers have limits its a calliber and most well placed shots woteva the calliber shud dispach quarry . i have also seen badley placed rimmy shots and people shooting shotguns at bolting rabbits and even they have been hit they still manage the slip away even tho they have been hit .so for me its shot placemet over calliber every time. this is just what i think and just my opinion befor people jump down my neck .happy hunting.

Flippin 'ek!! :whistling::hmm: Probably a few hundred more responses to come yet..is it any clearer that when the question was first asked??

and aaronpigeonplucker..if you eat a pellet, and don't break any teeth you will s*** it out, and if you eat lots they will sit at the bottom of the pan a be a pain to flush!!!

Best to just use a centrefire to start with and bunny comes paunched, skinned and ready stewed..and no lead to break your teeth on!! :thumbs:

Flippin 'ek!! :whistling::hmm: Probably a few hundred more responses to come yet..is it any clearer that when the question was first asked??

and aaronpigeonplucker..if you eat a pellet, and don't break any teeth you will s*** it out, and if you eat lots they will sit at the bottom of the pan a be a pain to flush!!!

Best to just use a centrefire to start with and bunny comes paunched, skinned and ready stewed..and no lead to break your teeth on!! :thumbs:

you shud see a rabit [bANNED TEXT] its bin hit by a 300 win mag .its like the world most hardest jigsaw puzzel. :gunsmilie::gunsmilie:

Ive always used 22's for rabbiting but am considering trying 177, what are your ideas on the pros and cons please on both calibres,

cheers

Adam

So Adam ! Are you any wiser after opening this can of worms :wallbash::whistling: lol