How long would you

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So would it be fair to say a terrier CAN be ruined by holding back too long .Fighting is in my opinion something I will not tolerate ,can become a liability and makes for a second rate dog . :good::good:

The early signs can be spotted and acted on accordingly .

Perhaps the border wouldnt have made the grade anyway. If she couldnt make it when older then she obviously didnt have the minerals ....or was she too hard? You surely cannot say that the border did not make the grade due to being held back?....... From what little i have seen, if they dont have it in them, they dont have it in them.....there is a much bigger chance of the dog spewing when entered when mentally immature. One good trouncing can ruin the dog for ever. Not all dogs, but some.

Kane, you don't have to argue with everything all the time, i hope that one day, before my time is out and I'm being carted off to my last resting place to see a post from Kane that reads

"I agree totally"

lol.... :11: :11: :11: :11: good hunting......

No the minerals were there...."too hard"thats for another thread :) .I supose she wasnt street wise(for lack of a better expression).

kane ......i remember someone else who did what you do .....

argued with every post

instructed people on where they are going wrong

had a opposing opinion to everyone on everything

your not a postman by any chance are you?

yis fellman

You know I was "Postie" on another site Fellman,most if not all people do,stop trying to engraciate yourself.15 years of expecting young terriers to work like seasoned dogs....and people are having a pop at my attitude.....I might be a **** but I have enough sense to take care and be patient with a young terrier.

Legend :11: :11: :11: ;)

You know it makes sense ;):)

Perhaps the border wouldnt have made the grade anyway. If she couldnt make it when older then she obviously didnt have the minerals ....or was she too hard? You surely cannot say that the border did not make the grade due to being held back?....... From what little i have seen, if they dont have it in them, they dont have it in them.....there is a much bigger chance of the dog spewing when entered when mentally immature. One good trouncing can ruin the dog for ever. Not all dogs, but some.

Kane, you don't have to argue with everything all the time, i hope that one day, before my time is out and I'm being carted off to my last resting place to see a post from Kane that reads

"I agree totally"

lol.... :11: :11: :11: :11: good hunting......

No the minerals were there...."too hard"thats for another thread :) .I supose she wasnt street wise(for lack of a better expression).

argued with every post

yis fellman

You know I was "Postie" on another site Fellman,most if not all people do,stop trying to engraciate yourself.15 years of expecting young terriers to work like seasoned dogs....and people are having a pop at my attitude.....I might be a **** but I have enough sense to take and patient with a young terrier.

listen postie i didnt say i was expecting yougsters to work like seasoned grafters thats how YOU interpreted my post

i said i was gonna change the way i enterd them !

more slowly

you were sussed out as a prick by everyone previously and well some things never change i guess :11:

and i have no need to engraciate myself with anyone ........

i stand by myself and have no need or want for other peoples favour.......

lthe people who know me either think i am a c**t or they like me matters not to me

you on the other hand are highly regarded by all and sundry :icon_eek::icon_eek:

so much so you had to change your name :) :11:

now then shall we leave it there please :signthankspin:

yis fellman

If it is its only a coincidence,sorry if I have bought any trouble to that mans door through my ,key board antics.

Unless I am a legend and I dont know it. :11: :11:

Failing that read fellmans last post that should give you more of an idea LOL LOL

If it is its only a coincidence,sorry if I have bought any trouble to that mans door through my ,key board antics.

Failing that read fellmans last post that should give you more of an idea LOL LOL

KANE......are you saying that you wouldn't CONSIDER entering a dog as old as two

just intrested

JOEB

No dog, of whatever breed, has ever been spoilt by holding it back....in the grand scale of things, there really is no rush :guitar::good:

i would hold back the dog till i and i alone think its is ready no matter how long it mabe or what others may think :)

Edited by rob reynolds uk

KANE......are you saying that you wouldn't CONSIDER entering a dog as old as two

just intrested

JOEB

The Border bitch I was given was over 3 years old she had done nothing when I got her,I dont rush a pup into anything but I would prefer a pup to have had some experiance(posotive experiance)before proper entering begins.

If I was offered a 3 or 4 year old dog that had done nothing,as long as the breeding was right I would give it a go.But I would rather of had it from a pup.JMo

No dog, of whatever breed, has ever been spoilt by holding it back....in the grand scale of things, there really is no rush :guitar::good:

i would hold back the dog till i and i alone think its is ready no matter how long it mabe or what others may think :)

I think that goes with out saying,who would be pushed into entering a dog to early?.

Guest buster

very well said mate i wood do the same :yahoo::yahoo::good::good:

What about the troublesome youngster thats spoiling for a fight.They know they have a purpose in life but have not yet seen the way forward, as in work.To hold such a dog back is asking for fights and scores to be settled whilst exercising ,and not many people have the time to walk a dog seperately .I have found that a pup such as this changes overnight when given a purpose in life .I wouldnt like to think I had to suffer this just to stick to the 2 year mark .Im not saying that the youngster should be worked continuous from this point on but regular enough to keep him sane .O.M.O but maybe some people should get to know a decent strain of worker that is predictable instead of chopping about trying this and that ,hoping to find the next world beater .I never expect too much of a pup in the first season ,only that it stays in shallow places.People will be muttering that if the dog is of the right stuff ,then it will stay at any depth .This is true but the longer a pup stays, maybe getting punished ,the geater is the chance of it standing off too far next time.Keep them winning at any age and you wont go far wrong ,providing it is of the right breeding for the job .

foxdropper

there are plenty of ways of curing kennel fighting and plenty of other work you can give a youngster to take the edge of his fire ... putting him to ground just because he is firing for a fight is a sure way to ruine a young dog .... i have seen dozens of terriers that wanted to fight the world and would have if allowed ... but put them in an earth and it was a different story .........

Waiting too long would be frustrating for the dog and owner wouldn't it ?

Its all guess work at the end of the day,if your dog is doing somersaults on its tether at an earth it would seem fairly obvious to me it wants to have a go itself. :wacko:

On the other hand if you have a dog that shows very little interest when sat at an earth what do you do then ?

Keep taking it out until that day when it decides" alright i'll have a little look,but if i dont like it i'm coming straight out and you can take me home" :no::no:

Only the owner can decide the right time,and IMO how it is enterd is as important as what age.

Some terriers are mental,we all know that and some folk like them that way,some are thinkers,castegated for not having the "minerals",not hard enough,dont fly into earths,not REAL workers,dont steam in at the end of a dig getting mauled for their owners pleasure.....so how do we enter these ?

Let them get on with in ther own time, careful entering,saving from punishment if possible and then the animal could maybe find its own way of working,be it a steady bayer or a lunatic JMO

Waiting too long would be frustrating for the dog and owner wouldn't it ?

Its all guess work at the end of the day,if your dog is doing somersaults on its tether at an earth it would seem fairly obvious to me it wants to have a go itself. :wacko:

On the other hand if you have a dog that shows very little interest when sat at an earth what do you do then ?

the hardest dog we have in the kennel curls up and goes to sleep when another dog is working and shows no interest untill he is let of the ead and collered up ... then whetever is below ground is in for a world of hurt :11: :11: :11: ... so just because its screaming at the entrance of a dig it doesnt mean its ready to go .... to many people dont know how to read a dog and get the best out of it ... thats why so many people fail with their dogs ............

argued with every post

yis fellman

you were sussed out as a prick by everyone previously and well some things never change i guess :11:

lthe people who know me either think i am a c**t or they like me matters not to me

you on the other hand are highly regarded by all and sundry :icon_eek::icon_eek:

yis fellman

:yes::yes::yes: your so right FELLMAN the man who thinks he knows it all in reality actually knows f**k all :laugh: good hunting all woodga :ph34r:

Edited by woodga

argued with every post

yis fellman

yis fellman

You just got up mate been out lamping again :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: