i think the only time i have ever had two dogs down,is when ive had to call out the fmtwc for help to find one thats been down toolong and could,nt be located, i think its just one of the things that can happen if your out on your own, apart from that its not for me, and thats before locaters came out, could never afford one when i was a young un.if i ever needed to start a pup, would always wait till the end of a dig, and show pups quarry from behind a fork, with other dog out, then dispatch it, and let it worry dead carcase, but its not legal to do that now, im not into slating anyone about this thread i think the lad just wanted advice and hes got it, if you do it then its up to you.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

digging with two dogs to ground is what i call pricking around yes the dog in front will get hurt but the real point is its all about knowing what you have in your pins diging to see your terrier work to the highest standerd not just digging to get the game thats whats wrong with alot of people all they want to do is dig and kill everthing if one dog dosent do it then drop down another and get whats in the earth. instead of doing the right thing if your dog doesnt dig it put him on the lead and admit he wasnt good enough dont just double up for the sake of getting whats in the hole.show some respect for what ur hunting.and i can put my hand on my heart and say i have never doubled up terriers if they cant do it on their own then theirs no point in haveing them.

a man after my own heart :clapper:

If you are saying doubling is a bad idea and claiming to never have done it how do you know?

There's sense in Valero's post,exept the "not up for it part" i suspect some of the posters here only work earth tubes,and in that situation it is pointless,rock scree and piles of scrap are different, a single dog and fox can go round and round all day,but never 2 bitchs or 2 dogs and not if they go tight.

All mine were very proven and started on their own when young,dont mix pups and adults or you will be very sorry.

As this has surfaced again i think i ought to explain my earlier post,

in my area there's a lot of steelworks[or used to be] a by product of steel making is slag,quite a few place's we hunted had slag boulders piled up for years in a quiet corner,

These held loads of fox,absolutely ideal for them,some were a bit dangerous for the dogs and were avoided if you had any sense,some were quite safe although covering a big area,foxes could be reluctant to bolt sometimes and would just lead the dog a dance round and round,didn't matter how good the dog was it was just playing follow my leader,although we allways tried 1 dog sometimes it needed a couple to oust the foxes,not pinning it between them just flushing it,we did it because it makes the dogs work and use their brains/noses and does them a world of good imo.If anyone lives in the Sheffield area it was the old "Tinsley park" "parkwood springs" and a few other spots around attercliffe,maybe some of you worked them?

We also did the same in Derbyshire,N.Yorks and a few other areas in natural rock piles,same set up and only the "run through" type none that went tight.

We never doubled dogs up in normal earths,didn't need to and its asking for trouble,ive seen 2 incidents where dogs slipped their collars and entered while another dog was already in[not my dogs]one wasn't to bad only shallow and not much damage done,the other was a deep sett in a river bank and by the time we got to them one was badly damaged by the other dog.atb steve.