i dont know why i am so facinated by this type of rifle . i am only 14 but i really like reading about it for some reason and i want to get one some time. just wondering does anybody have any good readups on any 17HMR. also how old do i need to be before i can apply for a fac to get 1? also does anyone have any good pictures of them

:bye:

You have to be 14+ to apply for a FAC

You must be 14+ to be given a Rifle.

You have to be 14+ to go out on private land on your own with a rifle

Heres some link mate that will help you.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...showtopic=67282

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/docume...EA798BC75FD9D26

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/docume...B6A83373E015186

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/docume...D980C0EA6DAD37E

i dont know why i am so facinated by this type of rifle . i am only 14 but i really like reading about it for some reason and i want to get one some time. just wondering does anybody have any good readups on any 17HMR. also how old do i need to be before i can apply for a fac to get 1? also does anyone have any good pictures of them

Its an excellent calibre, very powerful and nice flat trajectory

A picture of my .17HMR Rifle is in my signature :thumbs:

ATB

Edited by elvolcan

I managed to get my FAC with .17HM2 on it just after my fifteenth birthday. The best way I found was to get a 'mentor' - someone who already has an FAC and is willing to show you the ropes, so that when you apply, you can say you have some understanding about the rifle and are safety conscious.

A mentor can be anyone who owns an FAC, (mine was a mate of my dad). But if there is anyone on any shooting forums (including this one) near your area who are willing to let you use their rifle(s) then that is the best way to get an FAC.

It also helps alot if you join a club, this also shows you have experience with rifles.

Have a look around, research the HMR so that you know abit more about it before you use it...

And Good Luck! I was so pleased when I got my FAC, especially being only fifteen!

.17 HMR info Here

and pics of my .17 HMR Here

Cheers!

why are you fascinated? because it'd brilliant! or is it that you'll become a wife beater and mass murderer like all sportsmen are....??? :clapper: :clapper:

Edited by danebrewer10

17HMR - the rifle of the future! You've made a good choice. Traditionalists would disagree (and I'm one of them) but the versatility of the 17HMR is becoming more and more obvious. With new developments in ammunition I wouldn't be surprised to see it "legal" for Muntjac or even Roe in the not too distance future.

Bob G

17HMR - the rifle of the future! You've made a good choice. Traditionalists would disagree (and I'm one of them) but the versatility of the 17HMR is becoming more and more obvious. With new developments in ammunition I wouldn't be surprised to see it "legal" for Muntjac or even Roe in the not too distance future.

Bob G

A little optimistic perhaps as Roe is still not even down to the .22 centrefires in England/Wales.

Even the Muntjac/CWD still need 1000ft lb .22cf 50g Expanding MINIMUM, so a 245ft lb .17HMR does seem rather short of the mark.

BUT...I agree the HMR does have a place, and on a still day when you know what you are doing you can't miss at 150 yards, but I still see it as a rabbit tool, not happy with it for fox, even though mine is conditioned for fox and I have taken several with it, minus points are ammo cost and noise.

Mine seems to have been performing brilliantly recently, but I have no intention of selling my .22lr or .22wmr :thumbs:

Fair point - well argued! Will .17HMR ammunition reach the ft/lb for small deer? There has to be a limit. How much "ballistics" can be fitted into such a small bullet?

Bob G

Remington 17 centerfire launches 20gr BTHP at 4300fps 831 ft.lbs. That's factory ammo. Should be possible to get handloads to reach 1000ft.lbs!

.17 rem and .17 Hmr are completely different animals. It's like comparing .22lr to .223 rem!

A .17rem will burn 25 grains of powder, an HMR is about 5.

The HMR is a medium range rabbit gun, nothing more. I have shot quite a bit with a mate's, but I wouldn't have one. My hornet does everything the HMR does, plus everything the HMR tries to do, and most of what a .223 can do. And with homeloads, the hornet is cheaper to shoot as well. It's a lovely little calibre.

HMR bullets are not suitable for deer of any kind, they're too fragile.

James

heres a pic of my 17 hmr when i purchased this gun i didnt know what to expect as i never ever fired one before but to my astonishment i was flabbergasted by the power and accuracy of this little calibre as i normally shoot a .222. theres only one word to say about this calibre EXCELLENT

gun002.jpg

Fair point - well argued! Will .17HMR ammunition reach the ft/lb for small deer? There has to be a limit. How much "ballistics" can be fitted into such a small bullet?

Bob G

Oh Lord. 17HMR & deer = never ever legally

17HMR is a rabbit & crow tool, nothing more. It has its place - long range bunnies for people that don't reload. THose that do should shoot Hornet, which is as quiet, and kills foxes, and has less windage, and less drop!

I managed to get my FAC with .17HM2 on it just after my fifteenth birthday. The best way I found was to get a 'mentor' - someone who already has an FAC and is willing to show you the ropes, so that when you apply, you can say you have some understanding about the rifle and are safety conscious.

A mentor can be anyone who owns an FAC, (mine was a mate of my dad). But if there is anyone on any shooting forums (including this one) near your area who are willing to let you use their rifle(s) then that is the best way to get an FAC.

It also helps alot if you join a club, this also shows you have experience with rifles.

Have a look around, research the HMR so that you know abit more about it before you use it...

And Good Luck! I was so pleased when I got my FAC, especially being only fifteen!

To get back to Ian's main point, Sharpshooter is dead on the nail. Some sports shooters will disagree here, but IMO there's a lot to be said for starting with a smallbore club. You can have 4 visits a year as a guest. You don't need your own gun , or FAC, to start killing bits of paper! You will be supervised one-to-one, taught gun safety FIRST, then accuracy. Obviously the two go together but basic safe gun handling is crucial. And, as SS stated, it will go down well with your Firearms Enquiry Officer when you come to apply for your FAC. I learned to shoot back in the 60s on a full bore range with a sniperised 303 Lee-Enfield and getting MOA groups at 300 yards with peep sights really tightens up your shooting! Find a local club and give 'em a bell.

ATB matey. ;)

To get back to Ian's main point, Sharpshooter is dead on the nail. Some sports shooters will disagree here, but IMO there's a lot to be said for starting with a smallbore club. You can have 4 visits a year as a guest. You don't need your own gun , or FAC, to start killing bits of paper! You will be supervised one-to-one, taught gun safety FIRST, then accuracy. Obviously the two go together but basic safe gun handling is crucial. And, as SS stated, it will go down well with your Firearms Enquiry Officer when you come to apply for your FAC. I learned to shoot back in the 60s on a full bore range with a sniperised 303 Lee-Enfield and getting MOA groups at 300 yards with peep sights really tightens up your shooting! Find a local club and give 'em a bell.

ATB matey. ;)

But you cant shoot full bore rifles until you've completed at least 3months probationary membership, is that correct?