Remote Electric Dog Training Collars

Guest itallion stallion

learner ,

thanks very much for the advice , i really appreciate it as being a joiner i seem to have no problem making things from wood but when it comes to training dogs i seem to find it difficult !

i have only had 3 lurchers , one being a collie greyhound which seemed to train alot easier than my present saluki / lurcher bitch . i bought her as an adult and her main problems were poor jumping , and once she start picking up scents poor recall . even though she is bred out of mainly coursing lines she has a touch bull / greyhound in her . i bought her mainly for lamping rabbits and her catch rate seems good to me compared to the collie cross who was better trained but had a bad catch rate and seemed to lack the determination which the coursing bred dog seems to have . with only having the one lurcher who was 8 years old ( i always wanted something out of her ) so i decided to breed her. a mate of mine duckwing got me a mating to a top dog bred on similar lines, also with a touch of lurcher in him and i wanted to keep something back and see if i could get a lurcher that could correct the bitches faults.

i agree with you that i probably have too many dogs but i have never bred for money , i have always bred to keep something back and i mainly give the rest away . when the lurcher had 5 pups i gave 2 to the lad with the stud dog and one to another lad who sorted the dog out which left a dog and bitch .

i had decided to keep a bitch when they were born and being my obsessive self i thought i may aswell keep the last dog pup .

i have been doing the retrieve training on their own but i must admit i have kept them kennelled together which is probably a big mistake ?

as for the bullterriers i know alot of people dont like them but i have only had lurchers for about 8 years and i have kept bullterriers for about 17 years so i still have a bit of a soft spot for them .

once again thank you very much for taking time out to answer my post i will definately give it a go !!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CharlieC

Hi Italian Stallion, I used to have a similar problem myself, I have a lot of dogs and come feed time they would get very whiney and jump around and work each other up, as soon as they started I went out and shout at them, rattle the wire of the kennels etc and that sometimes shut them up. If they persist, I take their bowls out and let them see the food sitting there in the bowls, but I insist on them being 100% quiet before they are given their feed, if necessary I will squirt water at them or go into each individual dogs pen and give them a ticking off until they are quiet, and when they cease, thats when they get fed.

You could try doing something similar yourself, dont tolerate any sort of noise off them and have the bowls there where they can see them, eventually they will learn that in order to get fed more quickly they need to be quiet. I dont feel using an anti bark collar is fair in this sort of situation, I mean all they are doing is showing their excitement at the prospect of being fed, I dont think it would be fair to shock them for whining etc, but pointless barking for the sake of it I wont tolerate and they get a jolt if they ignore the warning tone, or should I say used to, because since I bought the collars off Ebay, they have been quiet as mice :D:D:good:

i know some lads that have had the dogs vocal cords removed , ive even thought about it myself and went to the local vets which told me its unethical to have them removed, there is some vets that will do it but i went down the track on using the anti bark collars which worked out ok, i have one collar and i used it on each of the dogs but i made a replica to bluff them into thinking its the real one.

Guest CharlieC

Having the dog "debarked" doesnt stop them making a noise :icon_eek: it only muffles it!! :icon_eek:

Friends of my parents had a little mongrel years ago (back around the early 80's) and they had it debarked as i think theyre neighbours were getting very tetchy with the dog yapping all the time - the wee dog still yapped constantly, it made a muffled sort of sound instead of a bark, very disconcerting indeed :( and I reckon a good couple of well timed clouts with a newspaper would have done the job a lot better and much cheaper, but they were a pair of softies and spoiled the dog rotten (the main cause of the problem I reckon :yes: )

My bro has a dog here..just a pet worker...and i dont think a 20,000 volt collar could do anything with it..it's been wacked from arsole to breakfast time for 11 yr's and it still bark's the fecking house down for no reason...imo the only way to stop it would be to stop it breathing.. :lol: .

Millet

well u know the old story about the fella who kicked his dog down the stairs

when he walked out of his bedroom door where it lay and crapped every nite

it sorted the problem alrighty but now as soon as he opens the door the dog throws its self down the stairs :lol:

• 1 month later...

depends on what you want johnny, anti bark collars start at £70, tell me what distance you want them to work at, they start from 150yrd upto 2mile away thats if there is no objects like hedges stopping the signal

cheers shaun not to sure on what iam looking for want something that i can use on my terrier think hes deaf :realmad: and he get to excited with my other dogs and runs round barking till he carms down and that can take a bit but hes ok on his own just just to help him abit so what you think shaun if you sell them you will know better than me and for 150/200 yards shoud do but a price on longer would do to if you know what i mean

cheers

johnny