pure saluki

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only had the pleasure of owning one suluki in my life and was she something,for coursing she was something else[on the right land bit open countryside],for the small fields well she was,nt worth a f**k,for lamping she was useless,she wouldnt even try and for fox she would go through hell to get them,now i know that there will be a lot of lads on here to state different as to what i say,but i say bring your animals to the lands around Ireland are not as big and open as the UK and put your full bred suluki,s to the test,

That's the thing mate, horses for courses. ;)

Only had the pleasure of owning one suluki in my life and was she something,for coursing she was something else[on the right land bit open countryside],for the small fields well she was,nt worth a f**k,for lamping she was useless,she wouldnt even try and for fox she would go through hell to get them,now i know that there will be a lot of lads on here to state different as to what i say,but i say bring your animals to the lands around Ireland are not as big and open as the UK and put your full bred suluki,s to the test,

il bring my saluki to ireland if you bring your bull x's to the fens and put them to the test there :clapper: horses for courses mate

my annie was in ireland for a while and she fared quite well smashing the irish hare :victory:

its like any other breed theres some good bull x's some shit bull x's same goes for salukis except the majority of saluki owners dont graft them enough , but you give a well bred saluki of tested coursing parents and background to a good coursing man and they will have as good a chance as any saluki x

its all down to the law of averages , there are 100 times more lurcher owners than pure working saluki owners....more testing pure saluki owners more better pure salukis JMOP.

i live in carlisle in north cumbria nad im the only person with working bred pure salukis , id have to drive at least an hour till i came across the next working pure saluki

Edited by shaddow

il bring my saluki to ireland if you bring your bull x's to the fens and put them to the test there :clapper: horses for courses mate

my annie was in ireland for a while and she fared quite well smashing the irish hare :victory:

its like any other breed theres some good bull x's some shit bull x's same goes for salukis except the majority of saluki owners dont graft them enough , but you give a well bred saluki of tested coursing parents and background and they will have as good a chance as any saluki x

you wouldnt test a f1 car in a car park so why test a pure saluki in a pony paddock

ive got a fair few friends in ireland in fact i placed a pure saluki dog with a friend in ireland recently a very well known coursing man. his words to me were we really need this blood over here. i not so long ago had another friend come over and spend time with me on the phone prior to coming over he says ive got the dog this time mate its going to do some damge i reply to him frank you said this last year and the year before and laughed at him . no its different this time he says this dog is splattering them around carlow ok frank i says in reply ring me when you get to the station i will pick you up. when i picks him up i says hows the dog bred frank its whippet and greyhound with wheaton and what not in it but no saluki blood hes telling me about its killed i dont know how many around carlow and other places next day we go to a spot not the best hares about they are average i run a pup i bred it stops its hare frank runs his it misses and didnt really put up much of a show next run it gets into a minute or so and like a helicopter tail up and landed it jacked theres frank the same as last year and the year before jaw down to his knees they are not good hares in ireland and i say this because there is not the land there to make them good hares just because a hare jumps up in a paddock and bolts two arcres into a copse or hedge doesnt make it a good hare its just the ground being unsuitable for coursing put the same hare out in a fifty acre field and it would stash after a couple of minutes and any experienced coursing man would agree they are not good hares because they have never ever been tested over generations and the weak and inferior hares been consistantly culled only leaving the strongest to breed for generations one of the best animals to ever come out of ireland was irish lady look what happened to her in the forley why because she never had saluki blood in her but when a well known saluki man who is a member on this site by the way sent a saluki dog over to ireland and it was infused into the irish lady blood it was a different ball game then i seen three of the litter run on the plains and what top dogs they are the owner of these dogs is also a member on here very good animals i remarked to him they will do a lot of winning the saluki blood has made the difference the one bitch went on and won a very good comp in england killing 6 . salukies will kill em in fields and fens like shaddow said theres not very many with good dog men but get a real good hare and in the middle of winter on proper coursing land and put a genuine working saluki behind it and you see a proper dog on then . if im driving down the fen and see a hare of the road in the seat ill pull over and run it but if the dog aint got the saluki blood in it ill keep driving cos i know im wasting my time

2 years ago on this site there was very few pure saluki,s now there seems to be quite a few . :whistling: ..it will be very interesting to see how some of them perform this coming season...i mean if they wanted a good coursing animal...they would surely get a saluki x of well bred of parents that are either doing there job or have done there job.....some lads and lasses have there reasons for owning a pure ...new blood in tthe coursing lines ect ect ....but i cant help thinking most are purchased for making money .....it would be good to hear your veiws the pure saluki owners,,,,,and how many of your own a saluki over 2 years old...... :D ........stunning animals....and i was once going to get one myself ....just wondering and iam not accusing anyone just want to hear why you got one ... :big_boss:

No doubt most folk that own them will fit into 1 of the above catergorys FRODO, you will soon get to know who is who..........when you getting one? :tongue2:

I own a saluki x, 10 month old, my first one, bought her to go with my beddyxgrey pup and terrier. the reason I bought her was a friend has the stud dog and showed me some footage of it and the dam working fox, rabbit, hare (pre-ban), and i was impressd with their performance. He uses them as they don't tend to get injured on the sort of mixed terrain they get hunted over (his observation), also when the breeder bought the pup over for me to look over, my daughter and the pup fell in love :o .

Where I live only has small fields and a severly limited amount of game, which is well overhunted by loads of dog lads and shooters, however she has done really well considering she is only 10 month and has never been pushed to perform, she works cover well and takes rabbits on longer runs in the open, teams up well with the beddyx and terrier, a decent allrounder in the making IMHO (I do admit I have limited expirience :icon_redface:)

She has been 'trying' to train and needed a bit more input than the beddyx, but it is now paying off well, in short she gives me more options whilst out hunting, and is an excellent pet around the home. If it where not for the ban, I would like to have tried her on the fens next season, just to see if she could hold her own, doing what she was bred for, wouldn't be to fussed if she couldn't do it though as I don't hunt the fens or bet money ;) as long as she gets rabbits she will do for me! atb Richard

No KC dog will ever perform with them rangy hard lookin desert fuckers.

That oughta get the pot stirred a bit. I told yall that all Americans are assholes. HAHAHA!

Hi Dan, theres a few desertbred salukis running in New Mexico and contributing to the saluki coursing bloodlines here. We are lucky to have ideal ground for salukis to show their mettle and there are some good ones here. One my mates has imported some kazak tazis here too. They are a bit slow to my mind to be top hare dogs but they really add something special to a cross. i have a 1/2 Tazi x collie greyhound thats faster than shit and the definition of a natural hare killer. I dont think I could live with a purebred saluki though, I like my dogs to come back when I call them.

all the best Dirtwinger

2 years ago on this site there was very few pure saluki,s now there seems to be quite a few . :whistling: ..it will be very interesting to see how some of them perform this coming season...i mean if they wanted a good coursing animal...they would surely get a saluki x of well bred of parents that are either doing there job or have done there job.....some lads and lasses have there reasons for owning a pure ...new blood in tthe coursing lines ect ect ....but i cant help thinking most are purchased for making money .....it would be good to hear your veiws the pure saluki owners,,,,,and how many of your own a saluki over 2 years old...... :D ........stunning animals....and i was once going to get one myself ....just wondering and iam not accusing anyone just want to hear why you got one ... :big_boss:

No doubt most folk that own them will fit into 1 of the above catergorys FRODO, you will soon get to know who is who..........when you getting one? :tongue2:

wilf there is very few butterflys that will admitt that they where was once a caterpillar..... :wacko:

dont ask me why i said that,,,,,,,, :clapper::clapper: ....

mybe you should spend more time and patience training the pures on recall

then they would come to you when called mine does!!

I have never had a saluki, just going on what I have seen of other peoples dogs in the field. I will say that I have seen coursing greys (pre ban) that were every bit as bad as the salukis I have seen in the field about refusing to return. My dogs have always been good to recall and I would expect the same if I had a saluki. Correct me if I'm talking out of my ass but salukis have a reputation for this, perhaps because they are often not worked enough and poorly trained. I have heard saluki people over here say the reason their salukis piss about is they are too smart to come just because you want them to. :whistling:

Most of the sighthounds I have seen refusing to return were run only once or twice a month and were so excited they selfhunted ignoring you. I apologize if I'm knocking salukis unfairly lot pretentious types have them here, show more than hunt ya know. I know a few who are serious about it too.

all the best Dirtwinger