Close encounter raises concerns about wolves

Thought you houndsmen might be interested in this story. Wolves are killed dogs in peoples yards as well as hounds in the field. A real controversy in our country.

Picture on the bottom shows what was left of one dog after the wolves had a feast!

Close encounter raises concerns about wolves

http://idahopress.com/articles/2006/06/05/news/news3.txt

All the while I was screaming louder than I ever screamed in my life. Without any thought I picked up a 4-foot stick, stepped toward the wolf, swung and hit a tree. When the branch went crack and the tree went thud, the wolf instantly lunged at me.

I remember thinking I was going to die.

I ran from tree to tree straight up hill toward my truck. When that wolf lunged at me, I believed I would have been seriously hurt or dead if not for Blackey. I did not see what took place, but what I heard was my dog giving his life to save me.

wolfattack.jpg

Guest sushie

At the end of the day your dog made the ultimate sacrifice! sorry to hear that! Hope you go out illegal or not,and shoot as many as you can! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: If i was in your shoes i would trap em,poison em,shoot em and generally exterminate them if my dog had saved my life!

The town where this happened is only about 50 miles from me. We have wolves very near our house and one day about 3 years ago I ran into a couple of them while out with the dogs looking for coyotes. Here is what I wrote about it. http://personal.palouse.net/valeska/a-than...ing-course.html I don't go for a walk with less than 3 dogs now. They might open a hunting season on wolves soon, now that the state has taken control of the wolves from the federal government.

Rey

If it's that isolated surely nobody would notice you having a mooch about with some f**k off great big dogs and return the favour, see how they like being chewed up! either that or if their hungary enough to eat another carnivore then bait em up and knock em down!

At the end of the day your dog made the ultimate sacrifice! sorry to hear that! Hope you go out illegal or not,and shoot as many as you can! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: If i was in your shoes i would trap em,poison em,shoot em and generally exterminate them if my dog had saved my life!

so is there any wildlife left round your way then?

Good story Rey! Looks like you got dogs that would hold their own on a wolf.

so is there any wildlife left round your way then?

Not sure what Rey will say, but from what I read game was a little thin before the wolf introduction, and now the situation is worse.

For a different perspective ... I am not sad at all to see the wolf return. Most of our western lands is public lands and in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc. the forests and parks stretch from one into another. You can hunt on almost all of it, but you assume the risk when you enter wild federal land that is known to have bear, wolf, cougar and coyote. That's just the way it is and it has been that way all our lives.

The wolf was once part of the natural landscape in this country, and it's not a bad thing that it has returned. Yes, some stock grazing on public lands (stock that is already very heavily subsidized by taxpayers) will be lost and a few hunting dogs will be tragically killed as well. Yes, some individual bad animals will have to be culled (it's done now with bear and cougar), but as a general rule the goal should be to allow them their place in the wild landscape. The notion that every top end predator has to be exterminated is as misplaced as the notion that every animal is a sacred cow. There is a place for balance and a place for people to prepare and think through situations before they enter areas with top end predators in them.

In the last areas of truely wild lands we have in this country --- in the Nolo, the Clearwater, the River of No Return, the Bridger, etc. -- the wolf should have its leave. Yes, we will have to cull wolves in some places where they rub up too close to dense human populations -- of this there is no doubt. That said, restaint and adaptation by man should be the word. An America with a healthy wolf population is something we can rightfully brag about. For all the money in the world I would not want to be a country that has shot out all its wolves, its elk, its beaver, and its bear. We were nearly there only 80 years ago. Europe has been there for centuries. It is not a future I want. Let us make balance the watchword, and protection of wild places the goal.

As an old person, with a IV in his arm and a catheter drainin to a pan under his bed, I have no doubt Rey will be telling the tale of the day his Borzoi coursed a wolf. That's an America we want to live in ... forever.

Patrick

For a different perspective ... I am not sad at all to see the wolf return. Most of our western lands is public lands and in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc. the forests and parks stretch from one into another. You can hunt on almost all of it, but you assume the risk when you enter wild federal land that is known to have bear, wolf, cougar and coyote. That's just the way it is and it has been that way all our lives.

The wolf was once part of the natural landscape in this country, and it's not a bad thing that it has returned. Yes, some stock grazing on public lands (stock that is already very heavily subsidized by taxpayers) will be lost and a few hunting dogs will be tragically killed as well. Yes, some individual bad animals will have to be culled (it's done now with bear and cougar), but as a general rule the goal should be to allow them their place in the wild landscape. The notion that every top end predator has to be exterminated is as misplaced as the notion that every animal is a sacred cow. There is a place for balance and a place for people to prepare and think through situations before they enter areas with top end predators in them.

In the last areas of truely wild lands we have in this country --- in the Nolo, the Clearwater, the River of No Return, the Bridger, etc. -- the wolf should have its leave. Yes, we will have to cull wolves in some places where they rub up too close to dense human populations -- of this there is no doubt. That said, restaint and adaptation by man should be the word. An America with a healthy wolf population is something we can rightfully brag about. For all the money in the world I would not want to be a country that has shot out all its wolves, its elk, its beaver, and its bear. We were nearly there only 80 years ago. Europe has been there for centuries. It is not a future I want. Let us make balance the watchword, and protection of wild places the goal.

As an old person, with a IV in his arm and a catheter drainin to a pan under his bed, I have no doubt Rey will be telling the tale of the day his Borzoi coursed a wolf. That's an America we want to live in ... forever.

Patrick

I'm glad the wolves are coming back. They do take some game but it is usually the weak and sick that they get. The major threat to the game animal population is habitat distruction, too damn many people. I love to sit in my yard at night and listen to the coyotes and I would love it even more if I could hear the wolves howling and if the wolf population gets to high enough levels may be we could even hunt them. We already have cougers and bears and now the wolves are back, I love it.

Rey

In North Idaho, USA, only 15 miles from the Clearwater and about 40 miles from the Frank Church, River of no Return wilderness area.

Patrick

Good post patrick, respect to all our quarry ;)