Anyone had any experience using Tramadol (for dogs)?

My dog is on it at the moment after surgery and he is not reacting very well to it. He is very anxious and stressed.

Will speak to the vet again in the morning, but any advice would be handy.

Anyone had any experience using Tramadol (for dogs)?

My dog is on it at the moment after surgery and he is not reacting very well to it. He is very anxious and stressed.

Will speak to the vet again in the morning, but any advice would be handy.

I just googled it up out of curiosity it can produce a whole host of side effects including anxietymthese were for humans ,but I suppose the results could be the same,I would check it out if I were you.

Tramadol is a fairly common opiate analgesic that as with all opiates may at times have a few effects but maybe its the surgery rather than the meds ie if the analgesia is not strong enough break through pain will cause the symptoms you describe.

I think i have it sorted now, have reduced the tramadol by half and he is now sleeping and not stressing.

Spoke to the vet he agreed with me, and said if necessary he can have 1/2 a paracetamol every 12 hours as well.

I'm taking tramadol at the moment and the max i can use is 100mg, while taking this i can't do anything as i feel totally out of it. I can do 50mg safely, but still feel not quite right.

So your vet is giving out human doses, you want to be carefull this stuff you can get hooked on and the after affects after i take 100mg is unpleasant.

Hopefully he will only need a dose tonight and then I will take him off them, but see how he goes. It was fairly major surgery to repair a fratured shoulder in 2 places, but agree he should not be on human doseage!!

Shite, im a nurse and 100mg of tramadol can make even the biggest men drousey and out of it for hours. You never would of thought a dog could be on the same dose as a 14 stone man :icon_eek:

Doses aren't directly related to body size - that's why we do pharmacology before we're let loose on the animal population ;)

Jim

Agreed, dosages within species tend to be weight related.

Surface area has a role to play between species, as do individual metabolic differences - cats are missing a liver enzyme and don't handle NSAIDs as well as other species; dogs don't metabolise ibuprofen well.

Jim

I was one them for years and theyre horrid drugs they make you sick beyond belief and really you dont feel in control of yourself.We know what that is a dog doesnt.Dogs cant handle paracetamol either apparently.A vet told me fairly recently that its been proven to cause ulcers and stomach bleeds.Not sure how accurate that is but id be careful anyway.I hope the dog feels better soon