ferret has orange spots

my ferret has yellow, orangey brown , and black spots on its skin, not on its belly just on its back, i think the black ones mite be ticks but i dont know for sure,and i dont know what the other ones are, might be flea eggs but dont know for sure,,,, does anyone know ??

thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here soz for the quality, tuk on my fone

Posted Images

Are they marks on the skin? Or are they actual objects in the fur?

You'll not mistake ticks for anything else (although it's a wee bit early in the year for them) Ticks look like greyish-brown 'warts' that are actually attached to the skin & are generally about the size of a match head, getting larger as the tick feeds.....................yellow & orangey-brown 'dots' through the fur sound like mites. If it is mites, you can use a proprietory shampoo from pet stores for cats to get rid of them. Don't drench your fert in the stuff though, just use as directed on the bottle.........................if you're still in doubt though, let your vet have a look at him? Better safe than sorry!

Are they marks on the skin? Or are they actual objects in the fur?

You'll not mistake ticks for anything else (although it's a wee bit early in the year for them) Ticks look like greyish-brown 'warts' that are actually attached to the skin & are generally about the size of a match head, getting larger as the tick feeds.....................yellow & orangey-brown 'dots' through the fur sound like mites. If it is mites, you can use a proprietory shampoo from pet stores for cats to get rid of them. Don't drench your fert in the stuff though, just use as directed on the bottle.........................if you're still in doubt though, let your vet have a look at him? Better safe than sorry!

[/quotote]

thanks ,ill get some frontline for him il give that a try,,,, and they look like little orange eggs hard to tell though, but there perfectly in line if you know what i meen,,,, like there the same space apart from eachother evrywhere ....

thanks

Does the ferret feel greasey when you handle it ? its probably the amount of oils they seem to excrete at this time of year laying on the skin surface & solidified had this in many hobs in season over the years & after asking the vet what it was thats what he said

Does the ferret feel greasey when you handle it ? its probably the amount of oils they seem to excrete at this time of year laying on the skin surface & solidified had this in many hobs in season over the years & after asking the vet what it was thats what he said

That was going to be my guess, but would need pictures to verify :)

i found them mainly on the neck area & the coat was generally ropey & parted which is how i spotted the orange dots on the skin

i found them mainly on the neck area & the coat was generally ropey & parted which is how i spotted the orange dots on the skin

ok il get sum pics up

perfectly normal for this time of year mate :) just ensure they have plenty of clean dry bedding in, nothing at all to worry about.

k thanks mate, still guna use frontline though because im worried about the black ones, and theres dark orange ones aswell are they normal aswell ??

perfectly normal for this time of year mate :) just ensure they have plenty of clean dry bedding in, nothing at all to worry about.

k thanks mate, still guna use frontline though because im worried about the black ones, and theres dark orange ones aswell are they normal aswell ??

yep, ticks are unlikely as you would easy see them, trust me. it's kust like a build up of oils, sweat and scent.

yep, ticks are unlikely as you would easy see them, trust me. it's kust like a build up of oils, sweat and scent.

ok, can u just pick them off him then ??