low power ammo Help.

Can anyone help me please ive been shooting my rimfire for a few years now with the same old winchester super x hollow points subsonic but ive been asked to shoot some vermin in and around the farm buildings the trouble is the air rifle just lacks the stopping power and range, its mainly jackdaws and crows,i was hoping there are some low powered rimfire bullets i can use that won't richoshey so much or travel so far as i want to keep the farmer happy by thinning the black devils out.

RWS Zlang (around 30ftlb apparently) i think they are called for a single projectile but if you after shot then CCI do one, but not sure how difficult they are to get hold of.

others will know more than myself though.

Thats great thanks ive just found them on the RWS website it say's they are perfect for close range and indoor shooting so i will phone the gun shop tomorrow and see how much they are and if they can order me some up.

Can anyone help me please ive been shooting my rimfire for a few years now with the same old winchester super x hollow points subsonic but ive been asked to shoot some vermin in and around the farm buildings the trouble is the air rifle just lacks the stopping power and range, its mainly jackdaws and crows,i was hoping there are some low powered rimfire bullets i can use that won't richoshey so much or travel so far as i want to keep the farmer happy by thinning the black devils out.

Depends if your gun is chambered for shorts or not

Thats great thanks ive just found them on the RWS website it say's they are perfect for close range and indoor shooting so i will phone the gun shop tomorrow and see how much they are and if they can order me some up.

i often use cci cb longs in a cz on some of my contracts (700 fps approx 28 ft/lbs) but the gunshop i bought them from went down the tubes.they cycle through the mag ok. anybody know where i can get 22 cb caps from in the south ?

Wilf at Country Pursuits in Cricklade stocks both the CCI CB long and RWS Zlang, my Brno will feed both, the RWS have the edge on accuracy though, about 3/4" at 30 yards. They are both 29grn solids though, so don't know what the ricochet factor would be.

Not very near you 6br, but maybe you know someone up this way?

James

So Deker, which of those would you use around farm buildings and stables for Rabbits at 20-30 yrds??? Silence is imperative and ricochet must be minimised. (My air rifle is a springer and too noisey)

CBW

So Deker, which of those would you use around farm buildings and stables for Rabbits at 20-30 yrds??? Silence is imperative and ricochet must be minimised. (My air rifle is a springer and too noisey)

CBW

Shorts or longs with a HP....they usually come in between about 25 and 40ft lb but I haven't had any for years...I'd use my FAC, PCP Falcon with the sound mod for this sort of work!!

The longs will cycle easier than shorts but probably still a pain...and none of them are that easy to find these days!!!

Thanks for the replies everyone,Just let me make myself clear im not saying an air gun wont kill the vermin im after as i often shoot alot with my air rifles im just trying to make it as easy as possible without damaging anything around the area im shooting and making sure i can get a clean one shot kill as ive already shot most of the feral pigeons around the farm with my air gun and know the black devils wont land in range for the air gun most of the time. Im also using a CZ 452 american 16'' .22RF and will be testing the new bullets out for re-zero and range when they arrive i will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the replies everyone,Just let me make myself clear im not saying an air gun wont kill the vermin im after as i often shoot alot with my air rifles im just trying to make it as easy as possible without damaging anything around the area im shooting and making sure i can get a clean one shot kill as ive already shot most of the feral pigeons around the farm with my air gun and know the black devils wont land in range for the air gun most of the time. Im also using a CZ 452 american 16'' .22RF and will be testing the new bullets out for re-zero and range when they arrive i will keep you all posted.

Mate: Had the same issue a year ago.

Two tricks if you can.

1. Use a fixed bait like dead split rabbit to attact crows from the barn, or peanut butter for rats etc. Give you a chance to give yourself the best back stop

2. if you are like many that you have a 22lr with long and short magazines ( say 5 or 10 shot ) then you can change ammo up and down. I have 2 shorter ( less powerfull rounds ) I use. 22 short HP, and Florret ..

22 Short - like it says shorter and has less fps: Still make noise when fired like std subs : Florret .. dont waste your time .. they arelike starting caps with a pointy round... need tweezers to load em.. :icon_redface:

My advise is a combo - shorts HP with better or man made back stops to suit.

You can definately puchase these rounds all over - IN wiltshire - Greenfields, or Lambert & Wiltshire : Best to phone ahead and of you want Florret .. will give the time to stop giggling before you turn up.. :clapper: