tripe will be fine mate, i like to vary the diet I give my dogs so they probably get tripe once or twice a week along with raw rabbit, chicken wings, lamb breast, beef mince, bones, pilchards, small amounts of heart and liver, mixed veg, bread, rice, eggs. They eat better than me but they look great on it!!

Don't cook it! Smells ten times worse if you do LOL

Just to add: I know that some people find feeding complete much easier, but if you dare to put your dog on raw meat and bones you'll be amazed at how much better it looks: and if it looks good on the outside think how much healthier it is on the inside as well.

IMO pups need red meat: beef or horse, chicken wings and carcases and not too much tripe though they love it: not got so much protein in as muscle meat etc.

Just to add: I know that some people find feeding complete much easier, but if you dare to put your dog on raw meat and bones you'll be amazed at how much better it looks: and if it looks good on the outside think how much healthier it is on the inside as well.

IMO pups need red meat: beef or horse, chicken wings and carcases and not too much tripe though they love it: not got so much protein in as muscle meat etc.

Do you have to just do one or the other, its having to be getting all the raw meat all the time that puts me off.

Do you have to just do one or the other, its having to be getting all the raw meat all the time that puts me off.

How does getting raw meat put you off? Do you not buy raw meat for yourself? Just think that you're doing best by your dog putting them on a more natural diet (raw diet).

I'm not a fan of tripe ,I think it is well overated as a staple dog feed.Pups require a protein percentage of between 24%-27% if on a dry meal diet,.Tripe is low in energy,protein,and fat , it has only about 2/3rds the energy content of beef and

works out about 12% protein and 2% fat.If you give a pup a split 50/50 evening meal.half dry meal ,half beef mince and add fat to the diet in the form of lard ,plus the flaps you get on sheep ribs ,I think you will be doing the pups better service. Cheap cuts of chicken,beef ,lamb are all superior to tripe ,imo.Plus they don't stink going in the dog or coming out!

Horse meat sometimes scours dogs I find ,but its a long time since I had a supply, the staple meat diet of mine is bunny with additional fat added in the form of sheeps ribs and spines, a tray of cheap eggs lasts a fortnight, top this up with a couple of cans of pilchards between 3 dogs once a week , cod liver oil caps in the winter months . they seem ok on it.

Edited by inan

I'm not a fan of tripe ,I think it is well overated as a staple dog feed.Pups require a protein percentage of between 24%-27% if on a dry meal diet,.Tripe is low in energy,protein,and fat , it has only about 2/3rds the energy content of beef and

works out about 12% protein and 2% fat.If you give a pup a split 50/50 evening meal.half dry meal ,half beef mince and add fat to the diet in the form of lard ,plus the flaps you get on sheep ribs ,I think you will be doing the pups better service. Cheap cuts of chicken,beef ,lamb are all superior to tripe ,imo.Plus they don't stink going in the dog or coming out!

Horse meat sometimes scours dogs I find ,but its a long time since I had a supply, the staple meat diet of mine is bunny with additional fat added in the form of sheeps ribs and spines, a tray of cheap eggs lasts a fortnight, top this up with a couple of cans of pilchards between 3 dogs once a week , cod liver oil caps in the winter months . they seem ok on it.

Yeah I feed them tripe on its own, I'll feed tripe as well as different meats, chicken, Lamb, Rabbit, beef heart, Venison, minced beef, they get the odd egg, they will usually get the tripe most days but I change the meats they get each day to go with it. I also give them cod liver oil mixed in with their food and they're doing real well on it.

The beta puppy i feed her contains 29% protein and 15% fat, i'd wanted to add something to her meal to give it a bit more flavour.

I will try different raw meats in her meals.Gave her tripe tonight,never seen her eat so fast.

Cheers all for your replys.

i feed my pups minced tripe stairght from the slaughter house mixed with nuts and belive me their is noting like it for bringing on pups when they get a bit older i hang a half a cow tripe on a chain and hook in the kennel and it has worked for me my dogs are always in good shape.thats just the way i do it and it works for me.

How does getting raw meat put you off? Do you not buy raw meat for yourself? Just think that you're doing best by your dog putting them on a more natural diet (raw diet).

I dont eat much meat myself to be honest, 2 or three times a week at most, but anyway thats beside the point the problem is I dont have much space for storing meat for the dog, but can I mix a raw diet on a base of dried feed? I could feed meat in the morning and dried in the evening, although I suspect she would soon start leaving the dried.