GWP first time shooting

yeah well the term HPR is also an english term as well............ versatile gundog/hunting dog is what they are classed as.

my dogs retrieve as well as any labrador but i would hate to see them branded as german wirehaired retrievers :cry:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst talking to a keeper last night we agreed this would be the last weekend for the season.Ill still be up there on some parts messing about through the summer but daytime hunting with lurchers is over untill the end of august. .Ive had a great season working the lurcher plus ratting and other sport.I had planned to start Alfie next season but seeing as im out with the lurcher tomorrow i thought id spend the morning showing him what the ferret does and trying to stop him running after escaping rabbits.

At this time of year what rabbits are left have seen a few dogs and dont sit tight so whilst he came on point a few times the rabbits were soon away.I started the morning by simply bolting rabbits and stopping him from running after them,he seemed to learn what i wanted.His marking is quite good so i netted up a couple of little earths and after being gently told off for grabbing at a netted bunny he stood beside the other two i caught.

As we were walking back he pointed at a clump of reeds and when told to get in came out with a nearly dead rabbit.sad to see but at least its out of its misery.i dont mind him catching rabbits in the seat,i just dont want him ruinning after them if he misses.

The grouse were taking advantage of the sunny morning and the slow drive back over the moor seeing the different birds getting ready to breed was a pleasing sight.I love being on the fells,dales and moors,im not too bothered about what is caught as long as im up there every week.

GOD BLESS THE NORTH OF ENGLAND :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

04042009159.jpg

04042009164.jpg

04042009163.jpg

04042009161.jpg

04042009156.jpg

04042009155.jpg

04042009154.jpg

04042009152.jpg

04042009151.jpg

To be honest im not too bothered that its over because ive only been working one lurcher for most of the season and she needs a rest..................she was out last sat and sunday and was definately looking tired and even just looked at a few rabbits that if she was fit and fresh she would have tried for.The same happened at the end of last season.

I also feel wrecked and cant wait to get some sun and nice summer evenings out with dog and gun.Plus the fishing will start and i want to do more on the boats fishing the wrecks than i have for the previous years.I really do feel i havent done enough sea fishing considering i live half an hour from the coast.I think im lucky that i enjoy several types of hunting so when a season for one ends another begins.

Im actually quite happy that i dont need to think about rabbiting with a lurcher or following hounds or ferreting and can just spend from now untill august with the GWP getting him ready for his first season.

I think that lurcher of yours deserves a rest after the season she has had, she always puts in a good shift and when her speed finaly slows with age she will still make a good bushing dog, being half GWP she has an excellent nose.

As for Alfie i am pleased he has had a good ferreting trip and the pics are excellent mate.

Its looking like Monday night for another trip out with the gun mate, hope you and Alfie can make it.

Dave.

I am not big into pointing or seting dogs as where I live in East Down it's spaniel and retriever country. I do admit though to secretly having a liking for the GWP.

They seem to be the most all-round gundog of the HPR group and I know from a friend who had one, that they enter water readily.

I happen to believe there is no such thing as the all-round gundog, horses for courses in my opinion, but the GWP must surely come closest.

SM

Edited by Story Man

Out again yesterday, Me, WB & Pointer, we had my dog Fudge and Pointers GWP Alfie.

picz003.jpg

picz3009.jpg

picz3001a1.jpg

picz3008.jpg

Sorry not many pics, 4 Rabbits taken, both dogs worked well, Alfie continued pointing well and both dogs put in a few retreives.

Dave.

Any time mate,

He is young and as you know thats bound to happen mate, i noticed Fudge didnt take much encouragement to follow him :wallbash:

The plus is that he calmed down straight away and worked steadily after that and didnt loose the plot completely, he also seems to be coming on very well with his stop command.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

i will have to txt me mam to get one in america

hi mate

try www.culpeppers.co.uk , i have used them in the past and the service and price was very good, they will make a specific harnes for you based on a few simply measurements.

regards

keith

• 1 year later...

Was out doing a bit of training with Pointer and his GWP Alfie, Pointer started him on a 30ft line and he gradualy let him out until he let it trail behind this big lad.

picz2001.jpg

He was steadier than either of us thought and hunted close to us.

picz2007.jpg

Pointer making Alfie remain steady at a distance

picz2005.jpg

I managed to shoot a few eventually and Alfie put in some good retreives.

He also came on Point very well.

picz2008.jpg

picz2010.jpg

picz2011.jpg

All in all a good start for Alfie and i look forward to shooting over him again.

It was ironic as it was 3 years to the day i lost my GWP and here i was with a cracking example of the breed.

Mack RIP

pics06046.jpg

Dave.