Working greyhounds

Just interested in what a pure greyhound is like when it comes to work.

What were they like on all quarry pre ban, and are the good on rabbits?

Dont really know muck about greys so any extra info will be greatly recieved.

Cheers DG

i got a irish inport bitch very good rabbiting night & day good at ferreting & hunting up a mate of mine got a 50%50 collie/greyhound 2 put over her breed me some 3/4greyhound1/4collie soon im going 2 keep a dog back

Thanks fordie, any one else have have any experince working greys.

DG

i have one here who will work all game and i mean" ALL GAME" igot her for breeding,

after she is bred she will spend the rest of her life with me being worked,

i cant see there being many like her.

Guest jt750

There are 3 different types of greyhound these days. Racing greys /show greys /working greys. As you can imagine show greys are just that. Racing greys are very pacey and in my experience from many years ago their feet were not too clever in the fileld.And before you jump on me for that statement it was what i saw. They tended to get the hare very fast but nearly almost always too pacey. Coursing greys are a different matter pacey agile good feet and prey drive to match anything i've seen (until now and thats a different story). Have a look to buy a bred coursing grey and you'll maybe suprised at the price. You never see many for sale and the last one i saw around the 8/10 years ago mark was £800 and that was yearling showing promise.

I have a nearly pure greyhound, she's got the tiniest bit of bull in her which cannot be seen in her looks. She's very fast and will run rabbits, hares and deer (pre ban) all day or night long, i think this show of stamina is from the bit of bull that is in her. The only down side to her is she doesn't like foxes, she'll run them and catch them but as soon as foxy turns round n has ago back she backs right off however, i'm not too bothered about this as i don't see many on the permission ive got. She's a good bitch for ferreting as well, as she has quite a bit of whit about her.

about 20 years ago my dad had an irish bred greyhound which did quite well on de flapping tracks of the north west when it finished racing he used it as a lurcher and it was a good lamper and would tackle anything i remember 1 day he caught 3 hares 1 of which it ate

One of my pals had a pure bred greyhound bitch we used to go lamping with she had the best eye sight she was fast as hell and she had great stamina she would spot rabbits from miles away on the lamp and she was game enough to pull charlie :thumbs:

Guest world.hunters

most greys that i have seen will walk at the side of you most the time without the lead. and these 2 picked up the lamping game very fast, soon as lamp i off they are straight back to me.

w.h

Edited by world.hunters