Speed or skill?

I have worked and owned a few different breeds of lurcher through the years, some have been real speed machines but some of these speed machines do unfortunatley get injured and banged up because of the drive in them i have also owned and worked lurchers that arent what you would call a fast dog but what they may lack in speed they make up in there skills i.e learning what move there quarries gona make before it makes it,trotting down the beam to there quarry and using there stealth to ways to help them catch there quarry, just wandering what people like to favour :thumbs:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

skill mate in my opinion because fast dog's soon slow down and if the skill is not there you dont get the number's but that's just me evry one is differnt

Il be honest mate i do agree with you i do like to see a fast dog but a dog with skill is worth its weight in gold :thumbs:

Aye a skillful dog can fill a bag but a pure speed merchant can be more prone to injury

True they go like hell for leather and end up being cut to bits on a barbed wire fence or sumthin nightmare lads we,ve all been there :doh:

Edited by Penda
Guest jt750

I'll go for brains coz a fast dog learns to hold the speed and if a dog is fast and brainless its next to useless. Skill comes from experience IMO a dogs not born with skill only promise

I'll go for brains coz a fast dog learns to hold the speed and if a dog is fast and brainless its next to useless. Skill comes from experience IMO a dogs not born with skill only promise

True words spoke there jt750 :thumbs:

Guest ferret feller

seen a whippet greyhound stalk down the beam too a squatter and pounce.

also seen the same dog let out the door of the car spot light on a rabbit squatting and its followed the beam too the very end for it and brought it back too the car..... clever dog she is

seen a whippet greyhound stalk down the beam too a squatter and pounce.

also seen the same dog let out the door of the car spot light on a rabbit squatting and its followed the beam too the very end for it and brought it back too the car..... clever dog she is

:thumbs: my mate youst to call them bread and butter dogs there the best 1s i think

in the past iv always said skill..some of the ground i have now is divided off with quite high electric fence's with no hedge's..a few lads have bought decent dogs over and the rabbits have made the dogs look shite..iv gone to a 22" collie whippit grey she's small and bloody fast.im not sure if she'll make a bright dog yet

in the past iv always said skill..some of the ground i have now is divided off with quite high electric fence's with no hedge's..a few lads have bought decent dogs over and the rabbits have made the dogs look shite..iv gone to a 22" collie whippit grey she's small and bloody fast.im not sure if she'll make a bright dog yet

Plenty of time for her to learn woz :thumbs:

Guest miller1989

Or you can have both speed and skill as my bitch is a realy quick bit but controlls speed on different quarry,cut the corners reads the quarry like a book,and as for injuries ive only ever had cuts off either barber wire or the ones that bite back!

I have worked and owned a few different breeds of lurcher through the years, some have been real speed machines but some of these speed machines do unfortunatley get injured and banged up because of the drive in them i have also owned and worked lurchers that arent what you would call a fast dog but what they may lack in speed they make up in there skills i.e learning what move there quarries gona make before it makes it,trotting down the beam to there quarry and using there stealth to ways to help them catch there quarry, just wandering what people like to favour :thumbs:
i prefer for a dog to have speed,you can work on the skill.you cant really work on the speed