starting out

hello, ive recently got a 9month old bull cross lurcher from a mate, he is stock broken and is from cracking working parents.

so... how do i start him off on the lamp? just take him out by himself and see how he gets on? or take him with more experienced dogs? or is it better to try them with a ball on the lamp first so he knows the drill?

cheers

what kinda answer is that?? yeah i got another thread about my jack cross as i want to start him too. iv only taken the lurcher off a mate as a favour as he cant look after it as he is disabled, i dint say that before as i figured you all wouldnt want a life story.

im simply after some advice as i wasnt around hunting as a child and its something i want to do for both the dogs and for myself, but mainly the dogs. i dont believe couping them up in the house and them getting a run round the park is going to satisfy them.

i know the guy who bred him, but he lives like 150 miles away, i can go out with him during the summer but as im a student im stuck up north until then.

cheers for the helpful comments, is anyone near liverpool on here we could come out with? or north wales or whatever?

my pup was runing the lamp at 6 months caught a munty and countless rabbits by 7 months old

sorry mate but dont beleve in working them that hard at 6 month old. let the joints and bones harden up first. training cums first [bANNED TEXT] working

mate, i never had my dog learn from another one, mainly cus no one else had a ecant running dog or if thay did i never knew about it. with lamp purt it on a slip ( bit of rope) and with your lamp walk up to the rabbits untill the dogs see's them, he wont catch what he cant see. so if your on property were the rabbits arnt light shy you'll do great.

thats what ive fallowed my whole dogging carreie and taught outher dogs and before you know it, you'll get bags like this. :):D

:victory:

haha, cant sell him, promised me mate id do right by him n get him working.

anyway heres a couple pics, he only been with me a week or so so his conditioning isnt great, but he'll get there.

chingy1.jpg

chingy2.jpg

that was him today

and this is him when he was 10 weeks old with my staff cross jack

chucknchingy.jpg