your opinion please

Just wondering if you might express your opinion on this matter,in the near future but not just yet I intend in buying a lurcher,I do mostly ferreting and a little lamping,with a little fox bolting thrown in here and there.I would like an honest dog or bitch that is up for most things(arent we all).I am without a lurcher fo the last two years and really missed having one while out foraging,now kennell space will be arising soon and I have time at last due to job changes(I lost mine).I saw on theCMW this week pups advertised there from a gentleman called GWYN JONES.They hit me as being what im really looking for and if I had the cash and the oppertunity to get one I would move on it.They were bred from Tinker and Tyson.Would anyone tell me what they consider would suit me.I have trained my last lurcher to a fair degree of obedience and we had a great few years together until he sadly hit a scratching stone while out lamping and went blind and had regular fits afterwards.I really couldnt face replacing him for a long while as I think I would have been comparing any other dog to him which wouldnt have been fair .Now with a clear mind and new determination I hunger for a new hunting partner.Your opinions would be much appreciated and if anyone is thinking of breeding a litter that may suit me in the future,even 12 months down the line I would be willing to get on the ferry and travel to collect a pup.I want to get as close as I can to my ideal dog as when I take on a pup its for as long as he lives,what is your opinion on the kelpie crosses?I have seen some collie crosses that were superb on most hunting situations but a few lacked here and there,maybe its the luck of the draw,any I will leave it up to the learned people to reply with their honest,candid opinions on this subject,thanking you in advance of your replys of which I hope will be many.Jigsaw

If i was you, i would go for a Beddie X greyhound...if you could get a male of around 23-24" you could do all the rabbits you want and more than a few fox mate..

Just my opinion!

Kye,..

Thanks key,would they be easy to train them not to blow the field nets ,long nets into next week,I know a lot would be down to the handler but would the terrier side be a little too intense for finer situations?

No mate...ive seen half cross bull greyhounds respect nets..and as you probably know, there a little keen!..lol.

For ferreting, its best to get the pup out as soon as jabbed up...the younger the better...12 weeks is ideal...you can soon teach a pup to respect anything at that age...if your luck the dog will soon curl up and go to sleep with rabbits hitting the nets ;);) ...brings them up calm...but as the pup gets older, when its natural kill instinct starts taking over, THEN you have to handle things different!.... :good:

IMO, you get a well bred Beddie x Grey, and there is very little it WONT do...they are a great rabbiting dog and even the very small ones, might make you think twice about any other type...ive seen 20" dog of that type do fox, rabbit, rats and hares..even Muntjac and Roe.

Kye,..

Guest bobbys back

by the sounds of it mate you know what sort

of dog you want you just want conformation

at the end of the day youll be liveing with the dog

for the life of that dog training the dog

feeding the dog working the dog ect,

you know what you want now go and get it :good::good:

:D hi mate !

if its a reall all rounder you're lookin for you wanna speak to boab johnston !

his dogs are the best iv ever seen they take everything and i mean every thing he has a litter at the moment they are 1 week old at the moment and theres only one left if you are interested let me know and il take yer details ! :good:

Just wondering if you might express your opinion on this matter,in the near future but not just yet I intend in buying a lurcher,I do mostly ferreting and a little lamping,with a little fox bolting thrown in here and there.I would like an honest dog or bitch that is up for most things(arent we all).I am without a lurcher fo the last two years and really missed having one while out foraging,now kennell space will be arising soon and I have time at last due to job changes(I lost mine).I saw on theCMW this week pups advertised there from a gentleman called GWYN JONES.They hit me as being what im really looking for and if I had the cash and the oppertunity to get one I would move on it.They were bred from Tinker and Tyson.Would anyone tell me what they consider would suit me.I have trained my last lurcher to a fair degree of obedience and we had a great few years together until he sadly hit a scratching stone while out lamping and went blind and had regular fits afterwards.I really couldnt face replacing him for a long while as I think I would have been comparing any other dog to him which wouldnt have been fair .Now with a clear mind and new determination I hunger for a new hunting partner.Your opinions would be much appreciated and if anyone is thinking of breeding a litter that may suit me in the future,even 12 months down the line I would be willing to get on the ferry and travel to collect a pup.I want to get as close as I can to my ideal dog as when I take on a pup its for as long as he lives,what is your opinion on the kelpie crosses?I have seen some collie crosses that were superb on most hunting situations but a few lacked here and there,maybe its the luck of the draw,any I will leave it up to the learned people to reply with their honest,candid opinions on this subject,thanking you in advance of your replys of which I hope will be many.Jigsaw

Ricky I'm all ears(well their not that big but you can see them stickin out from the side of my head).I sent a pm last nite but I was well drunk and dont know where it went so if anyone got a pm from me and havnt a clue what im on about my apologies,pm on the way ricky.

Ricky I'm all ears(well their not that big but you can see them stickin out from the side of my head).I sent a pm last nite but I was well drunk and dont know where it went so if anyone got a pm from me and havnt a clue what im on about my apologies,pm on the way ricky.

if you want a good ferreting and lamping dog, you cant go wrong with a first cross, or a reverse three quarter collie a quarter greyhound, they have brains bags of stamina,and are willing to please.regards kelpie crosses, dave sleight ,breeds excellent kelpie xwhippet greyhounds,these little dogs make excellent ferreting and lamping dogs and they make a nice size leveling out between 19-23 inches.best of luck with your search. regards collie john.

Colliejohn I would like a dog to take a fox or two also and a bit of this and that and the other,I know the collie really appeals to me and I owned a 1st cross bitch ,I then owned a colliexg/hound xsaluki g/hound bred by a chap called p taylor in Notts,he was some dog and the reason I didnt get another until now,He took a few dozen foxes single handed and loads of rabbits.I used to ferret with him on my own,me on one side of the ditch him on the other,purse nets on my side and good old Cloudy on the other.Once a rabbit bolted he wouldnt get 10 yards and hed have him,then jump the ditch and retrieve him to hand and back over again hed go without a prompt from me.When there was a bolt on I used give a low whistle and hed be primed and quivering ready for action.I used to go on an estate,very famous place everyone knows it,Blarney castle,used to shoot the pheasants before they'd leave the tree,cloudy would grab them before they'd hit the ground,but one day the land stewart shot him in the ribs,took me 3 hrs to find the dog after he ran away,cost me 80 pounds in the vets,cost the land stewart a hell of a lot more I can tell you,that was years ago.I had to put him to sleep when he hit a scratching stone lamping one night,carried him half a mile back to the car,went blind and had fits after that so I didnt leave him suffer long.The best night I had with him was 42 rabs 1 hare and 2 foxes.Wrote to mr taylor after that to see if he still bred them but never heard a word.

Colliejohn I would like a dog to take a fox or two also and a bit of this and that and the other,I know the collie really appeals to me and I owned a 1st cross bitch ,I then owned a colliexg/hound xsaluki g/hound bred by a chap called p taylor in Notts,he was some dog and the reason I didnt get another until now,He took a few dozen foxes single handed and loads of rabbits.I used to ferret with him on my own,me on one side of the ditch him on the other,purse nets on my side and good old Cloudy on the other.Once a rabbit bolted he wouldnt get 10 yards and hed have him,then jump the ditch and retrieve him to hand and back over again hed go without a prompt from me.When there was a bolt on I used give a low whistle and hed be primed and quivering ready for action.I used to go on an estate,very famous place everyone knows it,Blarney castle,used to shoot the pheasants before they'd leave the tree,cloudy would grab them before they'd hit the ground,but one day the land stewart shot him in the ribs,took me 3 hrs to find the dog after he ran away,cost me 80 pounds in the vets,cost the land stewart a hell of a lot more I can tell you,that was years ago.I had to put him to sleep when he hit a scratching stone lamping one night,carried him half a mile back to the car,went blind and had fits after that so I didnt leave him suffer long.The best night I had with him was 42 rabs 1 hare and 2 foxes.Wrote to mr taylor after that to see if he still bred them but never heard a word.

best of luck ,hope you find a dog of your choice,regards collie john.