pics of jagdterriers

I can't believe this, I thought it was bad enough us being pushed out of work by cheap labour from abroad, now it looks like our dogs are going to be without graft with all this interest in jagd terriers and what not!!!

British jobs for British Dogs I say!!!

Hehehehe ;) .

Relax yourself by thinking of that the Jagd terrier is made of British dogs (Fox terrier, and working Lakeland / Welsh terrier). ;) ;)

Anna

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this, I thought it was bad enough us being pushed out of work by cheap labour from abroad, now it looks like our dogs are going to be without graft with all this interest in jagd terriers and what not!!!

British jobs for British Dogs I say!!!

Hehehehe ;) .

Relax yourself by thinking of that the Jagd terrier is made of British dogs (Fox terrier, and working Lakeland / Welsh terrier). ;) ;)

Anna

Dont worry Panna it was a joke, we tell jokes over here in the UK dear ;) .

what was the reason?

and its a bit strong saying it is the last working terrier in europe? what gives them edge?apart from legally working where you are i am sure they are more then a few terriers who would excel givern the chance :)

I think the first and foremost thing is that this type was bred and kept by fanatics and it had a LOT in the old continent - in opposite with the other terrier types. They didn't bear "almost good" (in any breed). Secondly the Jagd terrier was an all rounder, and worked under- and above ground and in the water too. While most terriers are good in a specific thing, the Jagd is an all rounder.

As quite a hard dog it mostly went to pension very early, so the price was also getting down.

Also important that the Jagd isn't a nice or showy dog in any meaning and hunters prefer to gve them only to other hunters, not to be a pet.

Most of the other terrier breeds arrived to the old continet are show dogs and not working dogs.

And one last, interesting thing I saw: people don't really like bay to bolt dogs, they say "it only barks, it isn't game enough to get in close contact with the quarry". They like to see gameness, they like to see evidence of work. And they like to dig.

We are here some Parson Russell terrier owners work their dogs and you can't believe what feedback we start with.

They say, the dog needs strongful body and punishing jaws. And a dog with 6 kilos and 12" may not work anything underground. When they see my PRT working, some get amazed and some just say "it was pure luck".

So the thing is not easy. But it's even not sure ot needs to be other. I would not take a hard dog as it doesn't fit to my ideas. I accept that soem think of it other way.

Just my 5 Cents.

Anna

I have some problem to translate... <_<

I think,(by my understanding) that the words of Anna are right. The 90% of the terriers of the continent are show dogs and not working dogs,the only breed who is only breeded and used exclusively for hunting is Jagdterriers and who have a Jagdterrier is an hunter! On 100 Jagds, 95 are owned by hunters and only 5 are pets;the other terriers are 95 pets and only 5 are workdogs.

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

dont jagds have to pass a hunting test to be bred from they are tested at fox badger racoon dog and hunting boar and retrieving from water.

Correct, there is a working test for them. In case someone wants to breed pedigreed dogs.

Anna

the english kc could learn a lot there is seems a working test befor it can be bred is a winner for sure :clapper:

Yes, but sadly it is only for the Jagd terrier. Not for any other working terrier breed.

Anna

the english kc could learn a lot there is seems a working test befor it can be bred is a winner for sure :clapper:

Yes but....

often this is a "double cut" arm,because owners and breeders train the dogs only and exclusively for working tests and omits the real hunting work,only to win cups in this pseudo-working circuit!

The result is a dog who "flies" in working trials and go slowly in real work.