Creosote on a hen house

Found one site Peticious.com £15.17 a bottle (145ml not the aerosol spray), or go to ebay and put in Duramitex, theres one there for £12.95, plus p&p.

I got mine from everythingforpets.com, click on pigeons and contact them. I didn't realise they had gone up so much in price !!!

ATB

WAB :victory:

It as only gone up that much because the people that have it left can ask what they want, if they bought it trade before it was taken off the market they will have payed about £4.80 to £5.00 for it, and the RRP was £6.60, its a case of if any one wants it they will have to pay the price the seller want's, saying that it really shouldn't be for sale

what is the problem with it anyway john ? its been around since the 70s we used to sprey the lofts out with it then dilute it and mix it with lime wash to paint the nest boxes out .. duramitex i`m talking about :doh:

Edited by the_stig
Is it true that if you put creosote on a hen house it keeps it clear of red mites?

I thought that creosote was carcegenic (spelling) but a book I was given advises this, what do people think?

Sureley you wouldn't do the inside ?

just got chickens my self,

what harm do the red mites do? any harm to us? I'm itching just thinking of them,lol

i have just put the chickens in a converted shed but with no treatment!

I am no expert in fact I know nothing but what I have read in a book is that red mites suck chooks blood so I dont suppose it does em any good.

I dont know what other effects the red mites do but someone will I am sure. It does seem a common problem though

A couple of people have nearlly died through not wearing masks when spraying duramitex it attacts the nervous system, it can also get into the blood system through the skin, sayimng that I have sprayed it and brushed it on many times over the years and seem ok ,,,,,,,,,,I think

And in this day and age no one wants a claim against them

out of interest lads can the fumes kill or cause problems with the birds? the reason I ask is a Guy has a large paddock fence running just a few feet behind my aviaries, this year he Creosoted them with some of the old stuff! it was pretty strong we could smell it in the house a good 80ft away, I worried about is the birds Inhaleing it :hmm:. thankfully it seems no harm has been done this time but its now bothering me when he does it in the future.....

Jasper

sayimng that I have sprayed it and brushed it on many times over the years and seem ok ,,,,,,,,,,I think
:wacko: :wacko: :dance: :rocker::yahoo::guitar: :tongue4: :piggy: :crazy: :D and me i`m fine .. Edited by the_stig

Someone has given me about a gallon of the old creosote and has advised me to mix it with a gallon of used engine oil so have got some of that as well so will be doing that job in the next day or two.

My question is if I put the oil/creosote mix on the perch will it bother the hens feet :icon_redface: cos it burnt me to feck when I got it on me.

Someone has given me about a gallon of the old creosote and has advised me to mix it with a gallon of used engine oil so have got some of that as well so will be doing that job in the next day or two.

My question is if I put the oil/creosote mix on the perch will it bother the hens feet :icon_redface: cos it burnt me to feck when I got it on me.

if you want to darken it add a touch of black bitumin once its dry it wont harm the birds . to stop the burning smear a thin layer of vasoline on your face and jus wipe off after you`ve done wear old socks with holes cut out to cover your wrists before you put gloves on .. try and seal any cracks joints with mastic or decoraters chaulk prior to painting .. for a redmite cure look out for poultry shield its about £8 a bottle from wells poultry equipment you can buy it on line .. :thumbs: i would`nt mix it 50/50 with the engine oil just try half the oil first see how it mixes and try it on an old piece of timber first .. good luck Edited by the_stig

if you want to darken it add a touch of black bitumin once its dry it wont harm the birds . to stop the burning smear a thin layer of vasoline on your face and jus wipe off after you`ve done wear old socks with holes cut out to cover your wrists before you put gloves on .. try and seal any cracks joints with mastic or decoraters chaulk prior to painting .. for a redmite cure look out for poultry shield its about £8 a bottle from wells poultry equipment you can buy it on line .. :thumbs: i would`nt mix it 50/50 with the engine oil just try half the oil first see how it mixes and try it on an old piece of timber first .. good luck

Thank you very much !!

Once its all sorted I will get some photo's up.

out of interest lads can the fumes kill or cause problems with the birds? the reason I ask is a Guy has a large paddock fence running just a few feet behind my aviaries, this year he Creosoted them with some of the old stuff! it was pretty strong we could smell it in the house a good 80ft away, I worried about is the birds Inhaleing it :hmm: . thankfully it seems no harm has been done this time but its now bothering me when he does it in the future.....

Jasper

we used to move the pigeons into another loft and move all the feed indoors i would`nt be sure if it would harm the birds could be an idea to cover the averies with some cotton sheet or something next time ?? i know me mum used to say it tainted the bread if it was left out in the kitchen 40 foot away ..
  • 2 months later...

used to get old type free from cokeing plant 30 years ago , inside and out of kennels ,leave dogs out a day or two no problem,never saw a living thing on dogs or birds ,bet you cant get it these days health and safety or sum boxxxxxxs like said it burned like hell.