35g v max load data for 22-250

has anyone got any data for 35g vmax for my 22-250 im not after mega fast rounds.i have 200 v max left from loading 222 and its a shame to waste them..i would like to use aa 2230 or varget powder cci bench rest primers...i thought it would be nice to have a calm load for popping a few bunnies off... :o:o:o

39.2 grains of AA2230 would give a MV in excess of 4200 fps with a case filling of 95% ish

38.5 grains of Varget would give a MV of approx 4150 fps with a 2% compressed load.

With velocities of those sort of order you should find the odd smouldering fragment of bunny perhaps not in the same field as you hit it in !!??!!, :blink:

Atb

39.2 grains of AA2230 would give a MV in excess of 4200 fps with a case filling of 95% ish

38.5 grains of Varget would give a MV of approx 4150 fps with a 2% compressed load.

With velocities of those sort of order you should find the odd smouldering fragment of bunny perhaps not in the same field as you hit it in !!??!!, :blink:

Atb

Hm...pretty fast for a 22.250 I just wonder how many shots of that speed you will get from your barrel?

its not speed that will kill the barrel its heat mate. as long as you let it cool after so many shots it will be fine. but i wouldnt use 35 grains in it they will be all over the place i bet and will more then likely fall to pieces before hitting the target

its not speed that will kill the barrel its heat mate. as long as you let it cool after so many shots it will be fine.

I stand corrected - but I was always led to believe that it was the speed (whether you let the barrel cool down or not) that burnt barrels - as in the 17 rem's barrel life was assumed short because of the velocity of the bullet.

its not speed that will kill the barrel its heat mate. as long as you let it cool after so many shots it will be fine.

I stand corrected - but I was always led to believe that it was the speed (whether you let the barrel cool down or not) that burnt barrels - as in the 17 rem's barrel life was assumed short because of the velocity of the bullet.

alot of high power loads aint going to do a standard barrel much good your right but you think of it its heat that does the harm.

if you fired alot of loads that are not fast it would still do more damage then firing a hot load which has been letf to cool

properly. that and lack of proper cleaning is the killer.

a guy on the bbs that has put 1000's of rounds through his 22/250 and well the groups have opened up now it still groups more then you would need for vermin control. yes the 22/250 would burn a barrel quicker then a 223 but in real terms it would last a hell of a long time for vermin control

Sorry to say I think you are barking up the wrong tree with this one.

These bullets are too light for the 22.250, I tried all the sorts I could find in mine, the lightest I tried were 45gr, these shot all over the place, even when slowed down below the nominal of 55gr velocity figures.

Also the bullet is so short that you end up with next to nothing protruding from the bottleneck of the case, and no chance of getting it anywhere near the rifling, leaving a jump of probably 0.040" or even more!

I like to have at least 1 diameter (.224 in this case) inserted into the case neck, I believe this is required to give the bullet a stable and repeatable insertion fix, this is simply not possible with the bullets you are wishing to use up.

My advice from my own experience is to stick with a high quality boat tails in the 50gr to 55gr bullets, probably Hornady V-Max, or my own favourite Nosler ballistics.

I expect you'll load them up anyway, but you will be wasting the powder and primers, however they are your's to waste,

and if I'm honest I would have probably done the same as you just to see if 'smart-arses' like me are actually right!

Good Shooting.

35gn Vmax loads work fine in my .223 with 23.7gn of H4198. They clock about 3700fps and will shoot sub MOA at 100yards, but are easily caught by the wind at further ranges. In my Tikka .223 with 1:12" twist, they seat 20 thou from the lands with plenty engagement in the case as they are not boat tailed (unlike a lot of 40gn heads I have tried which necessitate a much longer jump to the lands). These heads are highly frangible at this speed, and make a total mess of rabbits. Very humane indeed!

35g v max have a very thin wall and will break up at faster valocities....its nothing to do with weight its the make up of the bullet....barnes varmit grenades do sub 1/2 inch groups at 150 yards which are very good for longer range crows....

.222 cal is not the same as .223 well its .224 really 22-250 are 224 not 222.. you may find them rattling down your barrel ?

35 Hornady Accurate AA-2520 35.3gn 4122fps

35 Hornady Accurate DP2230-C 35.0gn 3870fps

both loads are out of a 26" barrel

Edited by rob reynolds uk