Got a 5 Month old Bull Terrier Pup & He's fine untill you go to take his food from Him..

Sometimes he'll give a little growl but leave you alone, I think that you shouldn't allow even a little growl like that so Pin him (to show dominance) and this makes Him go crazy! Obviously I have to carry on and not give In otherwise he'll think he's won.

Mum on the other hand Ignores this little growl which gives her an easy life.

What should we do to knock this on the head?

Butch

Or better: show him that YOU are the boss without agression!

- take him out of the band and make excercises with him, like who starts plays and who says when to stop

- don't leave the food before him, not even the bowl when it's empty and when you give him food, immitate that you eat from his food and only than he is allowed to eat. Only after you! Never call him to eat, you don't serv him, you just let him some food as you don't need more

- who steps out first off the door (you, of cource! he must not step out of the door before you!)

- be consequent! No means not. Funny that to most of the terriers "no" means "try later". ;)

- if he growles show him a bit off your power, but I think there is no sense to punch him to death as they learn from it something else than you would expect. I used to lift them by their neck-skin and shake a little bit and put them off only when they stop growling or yawning. Well, for me it worlked, I only needed to do it twice/dog. With all the other things it is enough for them to understand who is the boss.

Sadly I'm not a dominant person, so I need these practices to keep myself at the rank.

I have learnt from the book of Jan Fennel, she writes about how to be a leader without hurting the dog.

I live with my dogs in a flat, so I have contact with them 24-7.

Wish you luck!

Anna

Edited by Panna
Guest little lurcher

you will have to maintain the pack order , this pup has no structure around eating , what you do must also be done by anyone else feeding him , scruffing and pinning is simply what a dominant bitch would do , there is no need to really hurt the dog but he MUST NOT be allowed to continue or the next step will be PTS for aggression

Why would you want to take his food after you have given it to him?

I think it's more the theory. It may not food next time to take off him, but a game, a quarry, or something he should not have with him/in his mouth.

In every case I am the one to tell the dog when and what should he have/do and what not.

Just my 5 Cents.

Anna

Ive kept terriers and game dogs all my life.I used to give them a bone and then go over and take it from him or her and if they got nasty they were gone to hunt with Elvis.That was for a dog that would be in around the house with children or adults their is one boss and thats the owner.That 5 month old bull he will bite somebody next show his in no uncertain terms you can growl louder than him

I'm on about taking the Bowl away from Him after he's ate the lot.. I need to get It sorted now obviously whilst he's young or he will be a real danger!

Funny thing Is, he's perfect all other times.. He's a typical Puppy but no dominance or aggression Issues.

So I just need to continue pinning him everytime even If he only growls a little bit?

Cheers, Butch :thumbs:

In your shoes i would be asking myself two things- firstly why is my dog doing this?

Secondly what do i do about it?

My dogs will all show each other aggression over food- if they didnt they would have it taken away by another dog- however none show me aggression.Food guarding is an entirely natural - but in order to live safely with us we obviously cannot allow such behaviour.

Your pup acting the way you describe reflects your relationship with him- however it also tells me something about his nature.

I know you feel he is the "perfect puppy" the rest of the time but i would suggest you are missing subtle things that your dog is doing which would demonstrate his feeling of elevated status.

He will need strong leadership and handling- with firm rules in place.He will always need you to be" on top " of him if this is to stop.He needs to see you as someone to take seriously and this needs to be dealt with away from the feeding bowl as this isnt about food but relationships

i know it sounds gay but the fellow of the telly, dog whisperer has a book called cesar's way, VERY good book teaches all about dog psychology and how to deal with issues like yours without having to pin to submission helped my get my staffy to heal and stay there might help you!!!