Splicing nylon twines

jultaylor1972

Ive just learned how to do this so I thought I'd share it. :D

To join two nylon twines together without a knot you will need to splice them together for this you will need a ‘bodkin’ needle which is just a fairly big needle with a big eye. For the purposes of demonstration I have coloured one of the twines black so it’s easier to see.

STAGE 1

Both ends will be cut and will be slightly frayed.

Stage1.jpg

STAGE 2

Put the yellow twine through the needle eye.

Stage2.jpg

STAGE 3

About 4 – 5 inches from the end of the black twine insert the bodkin in the middle of the twine making sure it glides up the middle and bring it out about the length of the bodkin.

Stage3.jpg

STAGE 4

Now pull the yellow twine through the black one like so;

Stage4.jpg

STAGE 5

Put the black twine into the eye of the needle.

Stage5.jpg

STAGE 6

Scrunch up the black twine a little bit and feed the needle through the yellow twine this time about 4 – 5 inches again.

Stage6.jpg

STAGE 7

Now pull the black twine through using the needle until you get to this point.

Stage7.jpg

STAGE 8

Now carefully pull the little few inches of black twine through, I find it easier using my fingers for this.

Stage8.jpg

STAGE 9

Run your fingers along about 12 inches either side of the joined twines and pull at each end smoothing as you go. At this point there will probably be a little bit of frayed twine as demonstrated in the picture, this is normal.

Stage9.jpg

STAGE 10

Trim the frayed bits off by pulling back a little at each end and cut with scissors then pull the twine about 12 inches away from the join again. Now it should be ready to use and will not come apart!

Stage10.jpg

Brilliant pictures and explain perfectly how it should be done..........I am impressed. Up until now I stitched any top and bottom runners that had been bitten through.......still left a neat join without a knot as well, but your method looks a lot less hassle.......thanks for sharing that.

Rolfe.

great post JT, very sound advice :notworthy:

some may find that method a little hard to do with a cored braid so to add a little more advice on cored braid peel back the outter braid, and cut the inner braid away and then do as you have done.

That sounds like brilliant advice, but what on earth is cored braid :icon_redface::icon_redface:

some may find that method a little hard to do with a cored braid so to add a little more advice on cored braid peel back the outter braid, and cut the inner braid away and then do as you have done.

That sounds like brilliant advice, but what on earth is cored braid :icon_redface::icon_redface:

a cored braid has a core a solid string etc on the inside of it covered by the braid so you cannot splice it unless you pull back the braid and cut a bit of the core out :)

a cored braid has a core a solid string etc on the inside of it covered by the braid so you cannot splice it unless you pull back the braid and cut a bit of the core out :)

Thankyou Auld salmon!! :good: